Compressor R&R questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Compressor R&R questions

So I've determined that my AC compressor is the source of an annoying noise that I've been hearing, and I'd like to get it sorted out.

Part lists for $900, I can get it for $620.

Labor I assume would be about $400 or so.

Now, I have no qualms about dropping $1300 to fix something on this car, but for something as essentially simple as an A/C compressor, I figure I should atleast do a cost/benefit on doing it myself.

Obviously bolting it on and putting the belt on is no big deal.

That said, Im concerned about the refrigerant.

So, here are my questions:

1. Are there shops that will evacuate your a/C for you?
2. Is there a tool that you can rent that will evacuate and refill?
3. If there was no internal problem with the compressor, does the drier need to be replaced?
4. If so, how difficult is that?
5. Anything special I need to know about cracking open the a/c system after the system is evacuated?
6. Whats the worst that could happen if I were to not have the system evacuated before I opened the lines (I don't like this option, but im at least considering it).

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Oliverk
So I've determined that my AC compressor is the source of an annoying noise that I've been hearing, and I'd like to get it sorted out.

Part lists for $900, I can get it for $620.

Labor I assume would be about $400 or so.

Now, I have no qualms about dropping $1300 to fix something on this car, but for something as essentially simple as an A/C compressor, I figure I should atleast do a cost/benefit on doing it myself.

Obviously bolting it on and putting the belt on is no big deal.

That said, Im concerned about the refrigerant.
So, here are my questions:

1. Are there shops that will evacuate your a/C for you?
2. Is there a tool that you can rent that will evacuate and refill?
3. If there was no internal problem with the compressor, does the drier need to be replaced?
4. If so, how difficult is that?
5. Anything special I need to know about cracking open the a/c system after the system is evacuated?
6. Whats the worst that could happen if I were to not have the system evacuated before I opened the lines (I don't like this option, but im at least considering it).

Thanks for your assistance.
You need several pieces of specialized equipment. Besides the recovery system, you need a vacuum pump and gauges. You also need the right oil and refrigerant, of course.

You also need to be concerned with what is done after you bolt on the new compressor. You need to evacuate all the air (pull a vacuum), add compressor oil and refrigerant. If the compressor spins without oil, say on the way from your garage to the A/C shop, you will ruin your new compressor. It's not a great DIY job.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
I pulled the line out of my compressor when I was doing my ABC pump and did not recharge it afterwards... I guess I'm about to hand over another $2,000 to MBUSA.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by whoover
You need several pieces of specialized equipment. Besides the recovery system, you need a vacuum pump and gauges. You also need the right oil and refrigerant, of course.

You also need to be concerned with what is done after you bolt on the new compressor. You need to evacuate all the air (pull a vacuum), add compressor oil and refrigerant. If the compressor spins without oil, say on the way from your garage to the A/C shop, you will ruin your new compressor. It's not a great DIY job.
hmm, well that sort of sucks.

That said, I have told my service advisor about this noise at least twice, they looked for it and could not locate it. Given that all this occurred under warranty, and now I'm out of warranty, I don't think a "goodwill" repair here would be out of the question.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of that?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Oliverk
hmm, well that sort of sucks.

That said, I have told my service advisor about this noise at least twice, they looked for it and could not locate it. Given that all this occurred under warranty, and now I'm out of warranty, I don't think a "goodwill" repair here would be out of the question.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of that?
It never hurts to try.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Not happening - not in this economy.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Little to

none.
You can get a brand new compressor for about $495 or I can.
You can pull a vacuum with a store bought a/c vac pump at harborfreight.I think they have 2 models on sale at the moment.Have an a/c shop recover the old r134a and then you replace the drier and the compressor and have the a/c shop fill it up with the proper amount of lube and r134a.
Under $700 that way.
Did you check if the sound was not just your clutch gone bad and replace it?have you checked that it is not the tension pulley bearing?
Always replace the Receiver Drier/Accumulator when into a repair of the a/c they are only like 50 bucks.

No you do not want to vent your system into the air if you dump the charge
First it is bad,second the fumes can and have killed people,third and most important it makes one hell of a mess.

Oxygen,
with no r134a your compressor was not engaging anyway so you should be able to have any good a/c shop pull a vac replace the drier and fill the system,good to go.Use the 2 grand for something useful,you can't make your car look better than it already is tastefully done,so take a vacation to the Caymans or something.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 Porsche 964 C2 Coupe(DD), '16 Audi A6 S-Line (wife's DD)
Compressor R&R questions

My pump has been diagnosed to be 'toast'. Got a quote from PepBoys to replace for $650-ish w/0 cost of pump yet, so imagine I'm in it for at least a grand+. Can you source a pump for me?

Thanks,
Paul