S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ABC Warning, Drive Carefully

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
210 E 55, 220 S 600
ABC Warning, Drive Carefully

Just needing some feedback from members that can shed some light on this issue. I have 01 S600 and just time to time, only if the car is on uneven ground, dashboard lights up with "ABC Warning, Drive Carefully" message. The funny thing is that sometimes it displays this message in normal "white" light and sometimes it does it in bright "red." So, here is what I am confused on.....if I restart the car, the message goes away like it never happened. I had the ABC system totally flushed and replaced the valves (i don't know which one) from an independent shop. The car does not drop nor have I witnessed any difference in stance.

What could this be? Thanks in advance for your feedback fellas!
Old 06-13-2009, 04:26 PM

2000 Mercedes Benz S500 Designo
Maybe it thinks due to the articulation of the shocks that theres a problem?
Old 06-13-2009, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
I would advise you to check the level of ABC fluid... sounds like it might be low and when going over rough pavement the system looses pressure.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Turn off your car and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

CLEAN THE TOP OF THE TANK AND THE DIPSTICK!

Pull the dipstick out and clean it and reinsert again. Then read the level. It should be at or just below the top notch.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM

s-class
good info.

kinda off topic oyxgen where did you get the CF valve cover?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
It's the engine cover, not the valve cover...

The cover is from AMG and is used on the SL65/S65/CL65. If you want I'll get you the part numbers but keep in mind the front CF portion is about $1800 and the rear metal cover is about $1400..

Old 06-13-2009, 09:39 PM

210 E 55, 220 S 600
Thumbs up Oxygen is right, again!

As I had hoped, you did in fact respond and as always, you were right once again. I checked the fluid level this morning before I got a response because I read your diagnose on a different thread, it made sense and you were right. The fluid level is low.

But what could cause the fluid loss? i have checked the top of struts to see if was cracked, but all is well there. Also, I park my car over night in my garage, always and never did notice any fluid on the floor. The fluid loss means that it is leaking somewhere, right? but where?

Also, what would you recommend? Is it as easy as getting some Pentosin(spelling?) and filling it? is there a specific procedure for adding ABC fluid? I am hoping to fix this issue without having to visit the dealership.

Thanks a million and you truly are a huge asset to this board and to many of its members. Your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with fellow members like myself is truly admirable.

Originally Posted by Oxygen
Turn off your car and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

CLEAN THE TOP OF THE TANK AND THE DIPSTICK!

Pull the dipstick out and clean it and reinsert again. Then read the level. It should be at or just below the top notch.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:44 PM

210 E 55, 220 S 600
One more thing, in the pic, there were two places where the ABC fluid is collected....the one on the top I assume is the reservoir and the smaller unit in front of it (looks identical to the one on top but smaller) is the accumulator?

It's the engine cover, not the valve cover...

The cover is from AMG and is used on the SL65/S65/CL65. If you want I'll get you the part numbers but keep in mind the front CF portion is about $1800 and the rear metal cover is about $1400..

Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 PM

s-class
yea thats what i meant oxygen lol i was testing ya if you knew haha

but thx
Old 06-14-2009, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Ag E55
One more thing, in the pic, there were two places where the ABC fluid is collected....the one on the top I assume is the reservoir and the smaller unit in front of it (looks identical to the one on top but smaller) is the accumulator?
The top tank (bigger, towards the back) is for ABC fluid, the smaller tank is for Power Steering and uses the same CHF-11S Pentosin brand hydraulic fluid.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Ag E55
As I had hoped, you did in fact respond and as always, you were right once again. I checked the fluid level this morning before I got a response because I read your diagnose on a different thread, it made sense and you were right. The fluid level is low.

But what could cause the fluid loss? i have checked the top of struts to see if was cracked, but all is well there. Also, I park my car over night in my garage, always and never did notice any fluid on the floor. The fluid loss means that it is leaking somewhere, right? but where?

Also, what would you recommend? Is it as easy as getting some Pentosin(spelling?) and filling it? is there a specific procedure for adding ABC fluid? I am hoping to fix this issue without having to visit the dealership.

Thanks a million and you truly are a huge asset to this board and to many of its members. Your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with fellow members like myself is truly admirable.
I appreciate the compliments- it means a lot around here.

The ABC struts would not leak on top, that's for AIRmatic struts and does not apply here.

The hydraulic fluid will not leave spots on the floor most of the time because the leaks are very minor, but add up over time.

You need to get the car on a lift or a set of jack stands, pull down the 3 plastic covers on the bottom of the car and inspect the hoses down there. Usually the fluid will accumulate and become a hard goo like substance on the plastic panels. Once you pull them down you can inspect the hoses for leaks. Usually the hoses will "sweat" hydraulic fluid at the crimps where the rubber hose becomse a metal pipe.

If you do not detect any leaks or fluids in the plastic covers, you will need to remove all 4 wheels and remove the wheel well plastic inserts to expose the lines connecting to the struts. This will allow you to see if any of those lines are leaking fluid.

As far as adding fluid- clean the tank and the dipstick hole, remove the dipstick and use a brand new small funnel, add the fluid through the dipstick hole and make sure that the funnel is absolutely clean. Even the smallest particles of dirt could damage the ABC system.

You can purchase the Pentosin CHF-11S mineral oil at any Mercedes dealership.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 AM

w220 s600
Hi, new here, this is my first merc so excuse any dumb questions please.

I also have a niggling ABC fault. Sometimes the "visit workshop" warning comes on, there is no pattern to it and by turning the engine off and restarting it clears. there are no leaks and fluid is at the correct level. The previous owner had a new pump fitted 6 months ago by MB main dealer (under warrantee) as the previous "new" 18 month old pump had failed, the reason that one failed said the main dealer was because when fitted a diffrent MB dealer didnt flush the sytem properly. As the fluid is ok, there is no lowering of the wheels overnight, I cant make it go faulty at will and it clears by turning the ignition on and off...any ideas? its a 2000 S600 LWB that other than this and a faulty screen bottle warning low sensor its perfect.

one other thing, for the comand sytem, where are the av sockets located?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 PM

210 E 55, 220 S 600
Oxygen rocks!

Oxygen, you are a Merc Superstar! I can only imagine how many members you have saved thousands $ in repairs by simply sharing. You were dead on about the low fluid level. I went and purchased a liter of Pentoson for $48 and not only did it fix my intermittent ABC warning problem but it also fixed my somewhat loud power steering pump issue as well. I noticed that it was also bit low. The car drives now like it should. Nothing like a smooth running Mercedes V 12. Thanks a million and you truly are a Superstar!

I appreciate the compliments- it means a lot around here.

The ABC struts would not leak on top, that's for AIRmatic struts and does not apply here.

The hydraulic fluid will not leave spots on the floor most of the time because the leaks are very minor, but add up over time.

You need to get the car on a lift or a set of jack stands, pull down the 3 plastic covers on the bottom of the car and inspect the hoses down there. Usually the fluid will accumulate and become a hard goo like substance on the plastic panels. Once you pull them down you can inspect the hoses for leaks. Usually the hoses will "sweat" hydraulic fluid at the crimps where the rubber hose becomse a metal pipe.

If you do not detect any leaks or fluids in the plastic covers, you will need to remove all 4 wheels and remove the wheel well plastic inserts to expose the lines connecting to the struts. This will allow you to see if any of those lines are leaking fluid.

As far as adding fluid- clean the tank and the dipstick hole, remove the dipstick and use a brand new small funnel, add the fluid through the dipstick hole and make sure that the funnel is absolutely clean. Even the smallest particles of dirt could damage the ABC system.

You can purchase the Pentosin CHF-11S mineral oil at any Mercedes dealership.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey Oxygen I have a question for you. My right front ABC strut leaks and needs replacing and my question is is this a DIY project? I am very mechanically inclined but I also realise I need the WIS software to do the "rodeo" to bleed and clean the fluid. Can I install the strut and then bring it to a Indi for the rodeo or is this not for me? Thanks for the advice.
Johan
Old 06-21-2009, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
WIS (Workshop Information System) provides repair guides.. you mean SDS which is Star Diagnostics.. that software allows you to connect to the car and diagnose it.

Depends on how mechanically inclined you are... you should be able to do it. You will need someone with access to SDS to bleed the system afterwards.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:14 PM

CL65 AMG W216, Bentley Continetal R Le mans, Bentley Turbo RT, BMW 735 i, CL65 AMG w215
Another shout out to OXYGEN for advice please. I put this up on another thread but it got buried. I've taken the under trays off aand there is fluid dripping off the bottom of the ABC pump...are there hose connections on the top side of the pump or do the pumps leak from a gasket flange when they fail? I have a chance at buying a brand new ABC/power steering pump ...genuine MB part for CL600 W215, but don't want to go that way if it could be an upper hose failure.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
I can't tell you how the pump fails because I've never encountered a leaky pump...

Here's a diagram with all of the hydraulic connections on the pump... LP = Low Pressure feeds from the two tanks and HP are the High Pressure lines coming out of the pump.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:58 PM

CL65 AMG W216, Bentley Continetal R Le mans, Bentley Turbo RT, BMW 735 i, CL65 AMG w215
Thanks for the connections picture, I assume that the low pressure feed must be leaking constantly as the system is not pressurised currently or possibly the body of the pump is holed in some way. I have to book the car in to MB dealership tomorrow...I'm sending up a prayer to the patron saint of MB ABC systems worldwide that I don't have to sell my Brabus wheels to pay for the repair.
I appreciate your help.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Report back from dealership this morning saying that they can see no apparent problems with the rear axle department and agree that there is a leak from the pump which they have now removed. Fortunately I have located a new pump in the NY area and it's on its way by air. Just as well, local MB want £1200 ($2000 US) for the pump and three days to get it from Germany. I can't believe how happy I can be at saving $1200 .

I'll update when I get the car back. I bet they'll find some thing else when they put the new pump on. Should I have them fit a new idler pulley and belt while they've got the old belt off?????

Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 10:17 AM

s500 2002
This tread is a great one. I have a problem to add with my ABC system. I have an 02 s500. If I put the car in park and let it idle the rear left side keeps rising up until it reaches a point and drops back down. Once I put the car in gear it down back down too. Any ideas out there?
Old 07-25-2009, 05:03 AM

Just had a call from the Merc shop saying that the pump is fitted, the car is rodeo'd and all is cool.....YEEHAW.
There is a matter of upper fulcrum bushes and lower ball joints which they plan to do on Monday . Looking forward to getting back in the drivers seat again....Bentley Arnage is a great ride but a guy needs a break now and then.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 AM

Hopefully final chapter of this saga. Fulchrum bushes, ball joints all done. I have been very lucky....ABC pump on Ebay.com although some trouble getting through UK customs. That purchase saved about $1250 US ( £850 sterling) labour costs to replace pump, fit new V belt and tensioner ( at my request) several litres of mineral oil and VAT (tax) altogether about $1200 (£800 sterling) .I expect another bill for bushes and ball joints about $2000US ( (£1350 sterling).
I refused to take delivery because they haven't changed the filters. They say the filters in the tops of reservoirs are clean after inspection and do not require replacing but I'm a regular PITA and I insisted. If the system goes **** up after this, then arguably, it's down to MB techs who don't do their job fully.

Thanks all for your help especially old Oxygen.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 PM

08 S450 with AMG
Hi guys,

Does anyone know where the ABC fluid container is located on the 2001 S430. I recently noticed my rear wheels are rubbing against the wheel wells periodically. The ABC malfuntion light hasnt come on yet, but im a bit concerned as I can hear when the tire is rubbing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,

Shak