S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

DIY Oil Change.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4matic sedan
DIY Oil Change.

I just brought a 2005 S500 4 matic last Dec. hardly driven it since, love the car. Now I like to try to change the oil my self, I had read a lot of posting but not sepecfic on W220, Do I need a special oil filter wrench to take the filter off, what is the best way to take the engein cover off before I break anything. I know I will need a felt filter and plan to use Moble 1. Any tips will be greatly appreciate. Thank you.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
1. Get the "B" style filter wrench from autozone. Its about $4.

2. You don't need to take the engine cover off to access the oil filter canister.

3. You probably just mistyped, but I think you mean you need the fleece filter.

Doing an oil change on this car is a piece of cake. If you plan to drain the oil as opposed to sucking it out, you'll need a new crush washer for your drain bolt.

The only other tip I can give you is that you should pour the new oil into the filter opening before installing the filter. No funnel needed and much quicker.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:22 PM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
Thank you for your usual sound advice, Mr. Oliverk. another issue that you might able to made clear to me if you don't mind. I read some threads mention something in regard to replacing the filter, to make sure the line on the filter stem show? What do they mean?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
when you take the filter out of the box, you'll see two horizontal black lines on it.

When the filter is fully seated in the canister, only one of the black lines should show.

If you put some fresh oil on the inside hole on the filter, it will slide on easily and sort of "snap" into place.

Remember to replace all the O-Rings. You will have one left over.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:59 PM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
Wow! thanks for schooling me, should I get the filter from the dealer or vender, what band of filter do you recommend? I am ordering a vaccum pump and a filter wrench. I can't wait to put your instrustions to work.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I generally get all my parts from www.parts.com. They are an intermediary for MB of naperville. That said, their shipping is fast but very expensive so I only buy stuff from them when its an expensive part, or if I need a bunch of little things (e.g. 4 oil filters+ air filters + cabin filters, etc).

The oem part works fine, and the online savings are typically not worth waiting. The filter at the dealer should run about $15ish, and you can get mahle or mann (if i recall correctly) filters online for between $10 and $12.

I'd just swing by the dealer.

A tip for using the vaccum pump is that the oil should be warm (not super hot) to let it flow a bit easier.

good luck, there is nothing to it.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I generally get all my parts from www.parts.com. They are an intermediary for MB of naperville.
Strange... the parts I bought from Parts.com come straight from MB's warehouse in NJ... nothing to do with MB of Naperville.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Interesting, when I get my invoice, its always from MB of naperville.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:17 PM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
Hey Mr. Oliverk, oil change done, everything went smooth thank to you. I got couple Mann filters from E-Bay, the B filter cap wrench from Auto zone sure came in handy, Do you have a oil dip stick, I would like to get one. My next DIY will be try to take the engine cover off and change the air filter.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I don't have a dipstick, I think none of the 04+ do.

The airfilters are even easier.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
OK, I will need to trouble you for instruction on how to remove the engine cover without causing any damage, I plan to change the air filter. I am getting alittle brave since the oil change went well.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
No big deal.

1. Open hood
2. locate MB emblem on front engine cover.
3. Grasping front edge of front engine cover, lift gently on both sides.
4. Once the cover is loose in front, slide the cover towards the front of the car. Lift away once free.
5. Starting on the passenger side, grasp front corner of the airbox/engine cover, and lift firmly. You will feel the clips release.
6. Repeat on drivers side.
7. Lift entirely cover gently until rear intake seal is free (should lift easily). Remove

8. Once off the car, flip airbox/engine cover over. On the sides, you will see 4 torx screws on two smaller boxes. These are the individual air box lids. Loosen 4 torx screws (I believe t-25) but do not remove. Pull up on lid. This may require a bit of effort or some light tapping.

9. Once lids are off, remove filter, clean out both sides of the airbox and the lids, and install new filter.

10. Replace lids, tighten screws. I never torque them, just hand tight and then an extra smidge.

11. Walk airbox/engine cover back onto car, and position the rear intake over the seal, and seat it. Then push down on front of cover to engage clips.

12. Slide front engine cover back in, and push down gently.

The main airbox is very sturdy, so you don't have to be too gentle there. Just make sure the rear seal is still seated on the intake tube, and don't drop anything into that hole while the cover is off.

The front cover is a bit flimsy so use caution there.

Overall it seems way more complicated than it is.

It takes about 3 minutes to get the covers off.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
No big deal.

1. Open hood
2. locate MB emblem on front engine cover.
3. Grasping front edge of front engine cover, lift gently on both sides.
4. Once the cover is loose in front, slide the cover towards the front of the car. Lift away once free.
5. Starting on the passenger side, grasp front corner of the airbox/engine cover, and lift firmly. You will feel the clips release.
6. Repeat on drivers side.
7. Lift entirely cover gently until rear intake seal is free (should lift easily). Remove

8. Once off the car, flip airbox/engine cover over. On the sides, you will see 4 torx screws on two smaller boxes. These are the individual air box lids. Loosen 4 torx screws (I believe t-25) but do not remove. Pull up on lid. This may require a bit of effort or some light tapping.

9. Once lids are off, remove filter, clean out both sides of the airbox and the lids, and install new filter.

10. Replace lids, tighten screws. I never torque them, just hand tight and then an extra smidge.

11. Walk airbox/engine cover back onto car, and position the rear intake over the seal, and seat it. Then push down on front of cover to engage clips.

12. Slide front engine cover back in, and push down gently.

The main airbox is very sturdy, so you don't have to be too gentle there. Just make sure the rear seal is still seated on the intake tube, and don't drop anything into that hole while the cover is off.

The front cover is a bit flimsy so use caution there.

Overall it seems way more complicated than it is.

It takes about 3 minutes to get the covers off.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM

2014 E350 4matic sedan
Thank you again, I will let you know how it went. I am waiting for the filters from www.parts.com.