S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ABC Valve Block Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 s600
ABC Valve Block Removal

For those that have tackled the ABC valve block, how did you loosen the line connections on the valve block? I tried but they are way too tight. Using an open end 17mm wrench and tapping it with a hammer only got 1 out of 5 loose. Any Ideas?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey there,
Well I did tackle this job a few months ago actually. I replaced both valve blocks and the pump myself. I am trying to remember but do not recall having any real problems with the lines.
After thinking about it a bit I am wondering if these lines have reverse threads? I wish I could remember but sorry I don't. You may want to look real close at the threads to see if they are reverse threads just like gas(propane) fittings are. Sorry this really doesn't help, good luck.
Johan
Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 s600
Well I got one loose and it is coming out like a normal nut so not reverse thread. Just wondering what type wrench you used and if you needed to tap the wrench or something to break the nuts loose.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM

I think I may have used a tube as an extension to break them loose. I really don't remember it being an issue on my car. Not sure why yours are so stuck.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
Hey there,
Well I did tackle this job a few months ago actually. I replaced both valve blocks and the pump myself. I am trying to remember but do not recall having any real problems with the lines.
After thinking about it a bit I am wondering if these lines have reverse threads? I wish I could remember but sorry I don't. You may want to look real close at the threads to see if they are reverse threads just like gas(propane) fittings are. Sorry this really doesn't help, good luck.
Johan
After you replaced the pump and valve blocks, how did you bleed the system?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
After you replaced the pump and valve blocks, how did you bleed the system?
I believe you can bleed the system two different ways actually. One way the way I did it since I had the laptop with DAS software and ran the rodeo. The other way is to use the raise and lower button for the ABC suspension I think it said about 15 cycles to clear out the air in the system. Once you do install the new tandem pump you MUST basically jump start the pump by pressurizing the system. You do this by taking compressed air about 20psi or so and filling the ABC fluid tank up to the correct level and then pressurizing it with the air. You must be VERY careful not to blow to much air in or it may pop the reservoir. You need to use your own judgment here. You should also should flush all the ABC fluid out and replace with new CLEAN fluid, about 12 liters. This clean fluid is very very very important, if not you will cause many more problems. If you are just replacing a valve block I do not think you need to pressurize the system with compressed air. Hope this helps.
Johan

Last edited by DRTYLNDY; 03-07-2010 at 07:25 AM. Reason: made a oops.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I believe you can bleed the system two different ways actually. One way the way I did it since I had the laptop with DAS software and ran the rodeo. The other way is to use the raise and lower button for the ABC suspension I think it said about 15 cycles to clear out the air in the system. Once you do install the new tandem pump you MUST basically jump start the pump by pressurizing the system. You do this by taking compressed air about 20psi or so and filling the ABC fluid tank up to the correct level and then pressurizing it with the air. You must be VERY careful not to blow to much air in or it may pop the reservoir. You need to use your own judgment here. You should also should flush all the ABC fluid out and replace with new CLEAN fluid, about 12 liters. This clean fluid is very very very important, if not you will cause many more problems. If you are just replacing a valve block I do not think you need to pressurize the system with compressed air. Hope this helps.
Johan
Thanks! Do you know if you can just purchase the Star software and use your own laptop or must you buy both together?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Thanks! Do you know if you can just purchase the Star software and use your own laptop or must you buy both together?
I think you can buy the software if you want. I got it on ebay.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you can buy the software if you want. I got it on ebay.
So you're saying you were able to do the entire ABC job yourself with MB Star software and your own laptop? I'm curious as I think I can handle most problems that arise in my '02 CL500 except the ABC system which I believe will develop problems sooner or later. If I'm unable to do this work myself, I'll probably opt for the Chrysler warranty as I don't want to get hit with a several thousand dollar repair bill. I really appreciate your input. BTW, what did you pay for the software and can you give me specifics as to what exact software to look for, i.e. model # or whatever.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 AM

So you're saying you were able to do the entire ABC job yourself with MB Star software and your own laptop? I'm curious as I think I can handle most problems that arise in my '02 CL500 except the ABC system which I believe will develop problems sooner or later. If I'm unable to do this work myself, I'll probably opt for the Chrysler warranty as I don't want to get hit with a several thousand dollar repair bill. I really appreciate your input. BTW, what did you pay for the software and can you give me specifics as to what exact software to look for, i.e. model # or whatever.
The answer is yes. I am not a mechanic but I am a Mr. fixit. I actually bought the laptop and software together for about 1k on ebay. It came from China but seemed to work just fine. After I did all this ABC work I traded the laptop. Let me just say the ABC is a pain in the *** BUT you have to remember it is a machine and can be fixed. if you are worried about costs then get the warranty. I ended up spending over 7K in my ABC since I bought the car.
I would also like to say that if I knew what I know now I probably would have switched out the tandem pump MUCH sooner than I did and maybe saved myself a lot of problems with the valve blocks. Live and learn I guess.
Johan
Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The answer is yes. I am not a mechanic but I am a Mr. fixit. I actually bought the laptop and software together for about 1k on ebay. It came from China but seemed to work just fine. After I did all this ABC work I traded the laptop. Let me just say the ABC is a pain in the *** BUT you have to remember it is a machine and can be fixed. if you are worried about costs then get the warranty. I ended up spending over 7K in my ABC since I bought the car.
I would also like to say that if I knew what I know now I probably would have switched out the tandem pump MUCH sooner than I did and maybe saved myself a lot of problems with the valve blocks. Live and learn I guess.
Johan
Thanks for the info, Johan. I talked to Chrysler about their after market extended warranty and was told it is no longer available for anything older than an '05. This was apparently just changed in Jan, 2010. The rep said he guessed the ABC represented about 30 of their claims. I also called Easy Care and they will cover my car EXCEPT FOR ABC related problems. The rep said that she didn't think any company would cover ABC for an "02 CL as I have. Looks like I'm SOL re warranties.

In any event, do you think the Rodeo function is absolutely necessary following pump install. I'm wondering if you can just pressurize the pump after installation and then use the "Level Control" system (raising and lower the car several times) to properly bled it. As you probably know, this is MB's procedure for bleeding the system. The more I read, it appears the Rodeo function is just used to dislodge contaminants in the valves, etc., which in turn are caught by the filter. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I don't need the Rodeo, I don't need the DAS, right?

One last thing. why so you say you should have changed your pump sooner?

Jud

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 03-10-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 AM

Thanks for the info, Johan. I talked to Chrysler about their after market extended warranty and was told it is no longer available for anything older than an '05. This was apparently just changed in Jan, 2010. The rep said he guessed the ABC represented about 30 of their claims. I also called Easy Care and they will cover my car EXCEPT FOR ABC related problems. The rep said that she didn't think any company would cover ABC for an "02 CL as I have. Looks like I'm SOL re warranties.

In any event, do you think the Rodeo function is absolutely necessary following pump install. I'm wondering if you can just pressurize the pump after installation and then use the "Level Control" system (raising and lower the car several times) to properly bled it. As you probably know, this is MB's procedure for bleeding the system. The more I read, it appears the Rodeo function is just used to dislodge contaminants in the valves, etc., which in turn are caught by the filter. Correct me if I'm wrong. If I don't need the Rodeo, I don't need the DAS, right?

One last thing. why so you say you should have changed your pump sooner?

Jud
Hey Jud,
No problem at all! Yes I believe you are correct about the level control and bleeding the system. It was a few months ago but that is what I remember as well. The reason I said I wish I had replaced the pump sooner is becase it gave me a few warnings before total failure and I didn't heed the warning. I think if I hadn't waited until it finally completely died maybe I could have saved the valve blocks. My gut feeling is that when the pump finally gives out completely it disinigrates the seals in the pump and gets all that crap in the system which just kills it. My plan is when I finally get my new home with a garage I plan on pulling apart the old tandem pump and valve blocks to see what really happens on the inside. Yea I was one of those guys who actually did this job in a driveway in Maine before the snow came last year. It was cold and ****ty to say the least. But in a weird way I had fun!
Hope this helps and if you need any help please feel free to email or whatever.
Oh last thing where are you reading all this info? Is it one of those cd's from Benz?
Johan
Old 03-11-2010, 06:53 AM

Hey Jud I see your also a Vette guy huh? Before MB for me I had 4 Vettes. My last one was a brand new yellow Z06, it was pretty fun BUT I would take my S55 any freakin day of the week! The S55 is crazy fast for its size. For that matter it is crazy fast for any size car.