S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Compressed air is leaking from the bottom of my front right strut (not from top seal)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220
Question Compressed air is leaking from the bottom of my front right strut (not from top seal)

The sound of compressed air coming out of my 2001
S500 Airmatic right front strut is heard even while driving over speed bumps. The compressor constantly compensates for lost pressure. Higher ride option does not function correctly due to this, however warnig messages only if my car sits for 10+ hrs and front right drops low enough to trigger warning.

How do they rebuild those struts. Where is the air actually coming out and what can I do about it. I fixed the tops DIY method and they still hold;

Alternatively, I will order replacement one Monday have place set.

Thank you vey much.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500 Silver, Range Rover HSE Black
Wink Strut

I replied to your same question in the other forum. Hope it helps.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM

W220
Aj thank you very much for your detailed reply. You've shed much light for me and all of us here on the forums in regards to this subject. I agree 100% about Arnott. It's a pleasure to have the company and their ppl helping us out here as well. If I get to do this myself as a DYI, pictures will be posted. Thank you very much.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:30 PM

W220
Question

If you dont mind a follow up question, Ive inspected the problematic strut and did find 2 places where it may and probably does leak. First, its the connection of the rubber to the bottom part of the strut that bothers me. When I raised the car the rubber part disconnected from the bottom of the strut as seen here:

I don't know if it is supposed to separate when the wheel is dropped like this. You see, when I inspected the other side (where the strut seems perfectly fine) the rubber did not separate from the strut and held on tightly. I tried pulling it off but did not apply excessive force not mess it up, so it stays on.

Second place is separation of the rubber ring from the actual strut column like you mentioned. Looks like once the separation starts there is no way you can squeeze it back in and secure it - too much pressure applied by Airmatic. You can see separation in this picture:

The other side looks def. much better. The rubber piece did not disconnect when I jacked the car and there is no separation below the rubber-to-metal o-ring seal.

It appears that the strut can be swapped without disconnecting the upper control arm. Can some one please tell me if that is the case. Thank you very much.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM

2001 Mercedes S500
Originally Posted by alkemist
If you dont mind a follow up question, Ive inspected the problematic strut and did find 2 places where it may and probably does leak. First, its the connection of the rubber to the bottom part of the strut that bothers me. When I raised the car the rubber part disconnected from the bottom of the strut as seen here:

I don't know if it is supposed to separate when the wheel is dropped like this. You see, when I inspected the other side (where the strut seems perfectly fine) the rubber did not separate from the strut and held on tightly. I tried pulling it off but did not apply excessive force not mess it up, so it stays on.

Second place is separation of the rubber ring from the actual strut column like you mentioned. Looks like once the separation starts there is no way you can squeeze it back in and secure it - too much pressure applied by Airmatic. You can see separation in this picture:

The other side looks def. much better. The rubber piece did not disconnect when I jacked the car and there is no separation below the rubber-to-metal o-ring seal.

It appears that the strut can be swapped without disconnecting the upper control arm. Can some one please tell me if that is the case. Thank you very much.
This is exactly the same thing my strut did. Going over bumps or rough terrain I could hear a loud hiss as I hit the bump. I ordered a new one from arnott.

To answer your question, yes you can swap without removing the upper control arm. I found this out the hard way when I forgot to swing by autozone and rent a ball joint remover. we got the old strut out easy (because it was collapsed) and began scratching our heads how we could get the new one in. I got the idea to take the little plug that arnott installs in the new strut at the air fitting out, and let the shock bleed out the air and shrink up. It takes about a hour or so. After that,we laid it next to the old busted shock and bam, same size. The new shock slipped right in.

When you reconnect the battery after the installation and start the car for the first time, you'll probably get an Airmatic, BAS, ESP, etc warnings going crazy on the dash. To reset, turn the wheel all the way full lock to the left, then all the way full lock to the right. It will reset the system and you'll be good to go. These instructions are also in the owners manual, I think under the ESP system.

Cheers! It's not a hard job at all!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 PM

W220
Thank you very much for this useful info.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM

2001 Mercedes S500
No problem buddy! The job is super easy. My brothers 4runner was 10 times more harder than my w220, if that gives you any idea how easy these cars are.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM

S500 2001
Same here in the OC ... looked at front right under the wheel well and it was gasping for air just over the tire ... funny thing though, I just got new tires and rims and they lifted the car up and that was 10 days ago ... lol ... I am still in a rental and po'd !!! I have heard that with the ABC suspension that there is no strut repair kit but, today, on here, I read that there is one very similar to it ... and yes, I did read all posts like a good boy -- thank you AJ and tusabes ???? was that correct .... now, I need to be selfish .... what about my issue ??? lol ... just teasing ... thanks, guys ... tc