S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Another Airmatic Question - Dealership mistake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Another Airmatic Question - Dealership mistake?

It's been a while since I've visited the forums - life's been hectic to say the least.

I got home last week and the w220 was on the ground - litterally. I've needed to take her in for a look because the front felt like it was going to go straight one day, when I decided to turn, but I realized I couldn't wait any longer.

Long story short, I got the call from the dealership.

Initial estimate;

2 new rims (both fronts are cracked)
1 new control arm (front, passenger)
2 Strut fix kit - to repair leak
Total (without rims, but with alignment) = $1,800

I figured it was ok - but I stressed to him that I think the struts are shot (they make a terrible clanking noise). He assured me it was just the fix kit that was necessary. Well - it wasn't. I got a call saying they didn't replace the control arm (it was weaker, but not yet needed replacement) but the front passenger was leaking and needed replacement and the front driver was shot completely - $3,600 + $750 they already spent on the fix kit.

At this point I was a little pissed but I asked if the fix still needed to be done if they were replacing the strut. Their answer was yes, it needed to be done regardless and replacing the strut does not replace the part they 'fixed' with the kit.

This sounds counter intuitive to me - is this true?

After searching the forum, I'm going with Arnott and brining it to a local mechanic, but I need to know if I should argue the $750?

Thanks,
Erik
Old 08-16-2010, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
the fix kit does not cost $750. And they are lying about it - the fix kit is applied to the strut top. Which will be entirely new with the Arnott.

They should be paid for the part they bought, but dont need to profit by marking up the price . Agree to pay THEIR cost for the fix kit , since they misdiagnosed it.

and take your car to an independent to get the arnotts installed.

Do note that the clunking may not be the strut...it can be other suspension components wearing out (usually ball joints).
Old 08-17-2010, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, that's what I assumed.

Here's an update;

Went to the dealership this morning to pickup the car - they wanted to know why we were pulling the vehicle and I explained what had happened. Turns out the SA was new and didn't know. They agreed to take *my* parts (Arnott) and install them - and not charge me for the fix kit. They won't warranty the parts (obviously).

I'm sure I'm paying a little more per hour for labor, but it ended well (fair). I just ordered 2 rims and the Arnott struts - I'll have them replace the arm ($325 part) and I'll have it sometime next week.

Thanks again,
Erik
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Its ok if they dont warranty it, Arnott offers lifetime warranty on the part.

The only thing you would need to pay in the future is labor. And even if MB put in their own struts, they would also charge for labor if they failed in the future
Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Glad you got things worked out with the dealer - but considering your description of the car's condition, it would seem you hit something pretty hard - like a deep pothole, or a buckled slab.

If that's the case, have your tires checked. The belts may be broken - and if so, it is likely they will shake as if they were out of balance - when in fact they are out of round, and dangerous.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Skylaw
Glad you got things worked out with the dealer - but considering your description of the car's condition, it would seem you hit something pretty hard - like a deep pothole, or a buckled slab.

If that's the case, have your tires checked. The belts may be broken - and if so, it is likely they will shake as if they were out of balance - when in fact they are out of round, and dangerous.
The tires are new - that's how I knew the rims were cracked (the tire shop told me). I think the car ran over a curb and then backed over it again. The other option is a huge pothole - but I was told that didn't happen. Who knows.

Erik
Old 08-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by tusabes

...And even if MB put in their own struts, they would also charge for labor if they failed in the future
If MB parts are installed and it fails in 12k or 12 mo, parts and labor are no charge to you, if installed at the dealer. If a dealer did charge you, then you got ripped.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBtech1098
If MB parts are installed and it fails in 12k or 12 mo, parts and labor are no charge to you, if installed at the dealer. If a dealer did charge you, then you got ripped.
Yes, they told me if they do it fully, they cover fully. However, at their price, I could replace the parts 3 times per side.

Erik
Old 08-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
I don't disagree with you, I was just correcting the previous comment.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Of course MB offers a limited warranty on their repairs when they use their parts, but does not provide lifetime parts and labor warranty on struts.

The next time MB struts will need replacing (probably many years from now) they wont be free. IE "in the future". Not right after the repair.

the fact MB will not warranty the arnott replacement means nothing since the parts carry a lifetime warranty through arnott. the only cost in the future will be labor if it fails again. No parts cost.

The only risk OP is taking is if the arnotts fail quickly.

Even if the dealer installs MB struts, it would cost more the next time this car needs struts in the future...since he would have to pay parts aND labor instead of free arnott replacements.

the MB struts wont be free unless they fail quickly during the basic warranty period , and in fact will cost more in the future when they need replacing again

Didnt think I needed to specify all this, but apparently my post wasnt clear to you.

Last edited by tusabes; 08-21-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500 2001 S430 2006 C230 1995 C280 1988 SL560
2001 S 430 Airmatic

Car went for service Thursday Mechanic changed the transmission mount he said needed to replace car has been parked at the house in the garage since then just went to take it out I realized the car was low started the car Airmatic warning said stop car to low I could hear the airmatic compressor running for 2 minutes and stopping but car never got raised
Restarted the car and same thing compressor ran for about 2-3 minutes and then stopped

Any suggestions? I did disconnected the battery nothing changed
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
It is very obvious that you have a leak in the airmatic system. Because the car did not rise at all, I would suspect that a line has come off either the compressor or the valve block, but it could be elsewhere.