S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Need help removing my 2001 S500 front bumper.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500
Need help removing my 2001 S500 front bumper.

I looked everywhere and all I can find is people trying to find a way to remove it as well. Can anybody find me instructions or something such as that.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 S500
Its been about 9 months since I have done this but from what I remember you need to remove the bolts from each side of the bumper in the wheel wells behind the fender lining. Then you need to remove the bolts underneath the hood next to each headlight (grille area) from there you need to remove the sides of the bumpers where they meet the fender by pushing forward towards the front of the car and then pulling straight out... it sits in a track mechanism to hold it in place.

If you have headlight washers you will need to pull that mechanism out if I recall correctly you need to twist and pull straight out on the squirter to pull it out (I broke one because the plastic was brittle on my 01). You will most likely make a mess with washer fluid. There is also numerous bolts underneath the bumper area connecting to the black tray running the full length of the bottom of the front bumper. At this point you can pull the bumper There is some strange plastic connecting the bumper to the rebar that I ended up just cutting because I didnt want to fool with it and even after I removed the bumper and looked at it closely I had no clue how I would even remove it the right way. Mine was replaced with a fiberglass replica amg bumper so I wasn't that concerned.

Let me know if you run into any issues I might be able to help.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:16 PM

2001 S500
I took out every single bolt i can find around the healdlights and all over the front bumper and i seem to be pushing it forward from the wheels side i push the bumper forward and nothing happens it just moves a little. I tried pushing it every direction possible, even thinking if i pushed it in hopefully something with click and it would pop off. But nothing. I'm sitting here with about 16 bolts removed and don't know what my next step should be.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:23 PM

2001 S500
As i start to think harder about it there could be another bolt farther inside on the clamp like device holding the fender and bumper closely together. At this point I would say either turn the wheels to where that you can easily pull the plastic fender liner out of the way or jack the car up a little and pull the liner out. Obviously pulling the liner out is probably the right way to do it as well as save your knuckles some frustration. The fender liner is held on by plastic nuts there will be some in the top of the wheel well as well as in various other places.

I had looked for instructions on this subject as well when replacing mine with no luck! Hang in there!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:38 PM

2001 S500
This may help its a representation of what i think is the part you are getting stuck on. the clamp thing is strange to work with, you need to experiment with moving it in different directions.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM

S 500
when i was doing work on my 2000 S 500, i subscribed to alldata.com, paid 29 dollars for 1 year I just pulled it up and found complete instructions on removing the front bumper. Bob
Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 PM

2001 S500
Thanks bob.. but i also heard going to a Mercedes dealer they would print out a full instruction list for you too.
and MCam that clamp part bro i tried looking in that i put a little hole in the plastic around the clamp... and i can't find ****... it's so difficult... i tried puttin my hand through the headlight ended up rippin all over my hands... but still going to try... I think I'm going to rip the whole plastic around the clamp near the wheel and just see what's going on.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
hovik, did u end up going to dealership and gettin schematic printed out??
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 PM

2001 S500
Originally Posted by hovik05
Thanks bob.. but i also heard going to a Mercedes dealer they would print out a full instruction list for you too.
and MCam that clamp part bro i tried looking in that i put a little hole in the plastic around the clamp... and i can't find ****... it's so difficult... i tried puttin my hand through the headlight ended up rippin all over my hands... but still going to try... I think I'm going to rip the whole plastic around the clamp near the wheel and just see what's going on.

Wish I could help more! I think your probably pretty close though... and yes it is a pain to get in there! I know the bumper on each side has to slide forward and out as soon as you have all the bolts loose though. I remember being pretty frustrated with it as well. It was a little easier for me use a lot of force on it because I was already replacing the front bumper and both front fenders. Good luck and guard those knuckles haha.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 AM

2002 mercedes-benz s500
U HAVE DONE EVERYTHING RIGHT, NOW WHAT U HAVE TO DO IS REMOVE THE METAL CLIPS ON THE FRONT BUMPER, THERE IS TWO, ONE ON EACH SIDE, JUST PUSH THE WHEEL LINER A LITTLE SO U CAN HAVE ACCESS TO THE INSIDE ON THE BUMPER, THOSE CLIPS ARE ABOVE THE MARKER LIGHT FROM THE INSIDE, JUST PULLED AND BUMPER WILL COME RIGHT-OFF, AND WHEN U PUT THE BUMPER BACK ON JUST PUSH IN THE METAL CLIP.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:31 PM

2001 S500
Wow thanks guys.. finally. Got this thing out. All of you helped and thank you all very much.