S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

DIY 2005 S600 Lowering Links Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty
DIY 2005 S600 Lowering Links Install

So this is my DIY Lowering Links install w/ Ghost Links.
I will complete the bulk of the work on Saturday (1/29/11) morning.
This photo is of the Ghost Motorsports package that arrived recently.

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails DIY 2005 S600 Lowering Links Install-ghost-links.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 S500
Keep us posted... currently maxed out on the washer method and looking for alternatives.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM

2001 S500
Yeah you can use washers to trick the sensor positioning to lower the front of the car, in theory its the same as installing the lowering links. However I am maxed out on what the stock bolt will allow me to add washers which equals about a 1-1.5" drop with 3 washers added. In the rear you can adjust the single arm and change the ride height on my non-abc(?) (non sport suspension) s500.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-drop-car.html
Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
For people like me, with not so much MB DIY experience I will explain my process as if I were talking to someone with my own abilities....

This Ghost lowering link kit replaces the stock sensor arms with fully adjustable links. These adjustable links change the voltage sent to the vehicle's computer by the sensor. The computer then evaluates the ride height to be higher than the factory settings and compensates by lowering the vehicle.

All of the links are attached on one end to a steel ball bearing. The other end is attached to another ball bearing which is connected to the ride height sensor.
You must carefully remove each end, especially the end attached to the sensor, as it is connected with a plastic arm that can be easily broken.
So I pressed the ABC button twice to raise the car up as far as possible.
Then, looked between the front tires and the wheel wells to identify the front links.
I tried removing the front link at first with a screwdriver but the hardened rubber (like a rock) grommet that fits over the ball bearing on top and bottom of the link would not come off. I did everything - and finally I thought to use a hair dryer to heat up the rubber grommets (i don't have a heat gun).
That worked.

As Ghost Motorsports stated in my directions, you should NOT jack the car up and remove each link one at a time. This will set off error codes with your ABC that will need to be reset. You must keep the car on the ground or on an alignment rack where the tires are touching.

The first photo is the front, driver's side link (shorter one).
The next two photos are of the rear links whereby you must get access to them by lying behind the rear tire, your head near the exhaust tip and look toward the front of the vehicle. That view will look like my 2nd two photos.

You must then (awkwardly) pry those links off as well. This works much faster if the car is on a raised rack where the wheels are touching or with a pit below the vehicle.
It is difficult for a novice to bend your hand and arm up and over to reach the bottom of the rear link.
I did get them removed and after a lot of prying and swearing.

Putting the new links on was VERY SIMPLE.
Ghost made is super easy with step by step directions (3 pages worth) and an 800 number to call them if I got stuck.
For the front Ghost Links, extending each link 5mm more then the stock length accomplishes a 1/2 to 3/4 inch drop.
For the rear Ghost Links, shortening each link by 5mm less than the stock length accomplishes a 1/2 to 3/4 inch drop.
I started mild and can adjust them later as these Ghost Links are fully adjustable on the car. You do not need to remove them and risk damaging the brackets they attach to, because they never need to come off.

I replaced each OEM link with the new adjustable links after they were carefully measured to the correct length. They popped on very easily.
After all the new links were on, I checked each link for a locknut. I hand tightened all 4 nuts when I had my length attained.
Once the new links were installed I started the engine, lowered the ABC to the lowest setting and drove the car about a 1/4 mile to allow the suspension to adjust to the new Ghost Links.
Ghost also recommended to get the alignment checked as lowering the vehicle, no matter how slight, will change the camber of each wheel and tire.
The car is now about 3/4's of an inch lower and looks great.
I will post a photo tomorrow am.

-Chris
Attached Thumbnails DIY 2005 S600 Lowering Links Install-img_8113.jpg   DIY 2005 S600 Lowering Links Install-img_8114.jpg   DIY 2005 S600 Lowering Links Install-img_8115.jpg  

Last edited by Vabene7; 01-29-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
MY Mb service advisor advised me to stay away from the links and he did it directly by hooking up to a computer and resetting the voltage values. I am thinking about slamming the car to the ground but he warned me that the suspension will go alot faster and you will feel every bump.

I am still thinking about it as I wish the car handled better.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
Originally Posted by Reckless
MY Mb service advisor advised me to stay away from the links and he did it directly by hooking up to a computer and resetting the voltage values. I am thinking about slamming the car to the ground but he warned me that the suspension will go alot faster and you will feel every bump.

I am still thinking about it as I wish the car handled better.
I put the car down 3/4 of an inch. I will go another 1/4 inch in the front and that's it for me.
I love the look.
I dont prefer the slammed look.....

-Chris
Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 AM

2001 S500
Nice write-up! Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM

S600
I just ordered the Ghost lowering links for my 03 S600. I used the washers in the front but after I realized that the S600 with ABC doesn't have a way to lower the back without modification to the bracket - ie bending the bracket. I broke down and ordered the Ghost for $244.00 for all 4, 2 front and 2 back. I love that you can adjust the height by simply loosening the set screw and turning the body a few times in either direction to raise or lower the car then just tightening the set screw to lock. That was a bis selling point for me. I will fill you all in after with photo's on how the job went.