S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

DANG!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL600
DANG!

OK, here goes...2000 S500 that trunk area got soaked, consequently the amp, cd changer, and phone module are all kaput. Stupid driver? Not my problem, but now it's in my shop. Do I want to make it my problem? Well, like I tell these people who do dumb things and show up on my doorstep, "Anythings possible with money.". But, does any one make a dash kit to replace the factory GPS Command unit? If so at least they have the option of replacing the system with something more current and better. Whaddya think? Good idea? Bad idea? Parts available? Where?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by joedirt
OK, here goes...2000 S500 that trunk area got soaked, consequently the amp, cd changer, and phone module are all kaput. Stupid driver? Not my problem, but now it's in my shop. Do I want to make it my problem? Well, like I tell these people who do dumb things and show up on my doorstep, "Anythings possible with money.". But, does any one make a dash kit to replace the factory GPS Command unit? If so at least they have the option of replacing the system with something more current and better. Whaddya think? Good idea? Bad idea? Parts available? Where?
Personally, I'd walk away from the repair. Just bad karma. If the amp, changer and phone module are shot, what else back there has problems? Trunk/audio harness problems?
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
First, the leak needs to be repaired. That model year has a vent behind the wheel well, in the electronics bay, that could be allowing water in. Or, there could be other leaks around the wheel well.

Second: You could have other damage to the copper wiring that you might carry over into a 3rd party system.

Third: Any good double-DIN DVD/Nav system can replace the OE COMAND. However, since the phone, power amp, CDC, and all audio components are fiber optic, you'll replace it all. No big deal - good units such as those by Kenwood (Excelon series),Alpine, or Pioneer will replace those functions and also add provisions for Sirius and iPod. Getting a good fascia for the new system, one that looks remotely original, will be a challenge (some folks have done cutouts and refinished their original fascia - see https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ash-piece.html and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ouble-din.html).

However: When you remove the amp and H/U, you remove the active equalization algorithms that Bose designed for the car. You will need a good amp and also a very good audio processor, such as an Audion Bit-1.

Fourth: Unless you are very careful in choosing the replacement HU, you will not be able to install a CAN Bus tie-in that will retain steering wheel controls. There are some available. PAC Audio makes some; see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...market-hu.html but I don't know if they cover the '00 model year.

Last, the original Bose speakers are 2-Ohm. Most systems use 4-Ohm speakers. Keeping the original Bose speakers will limit the size of the amp (if too large, you'll blow them; and if too small, the lower impedance will drive it quickly to clipping). If you replace the speakers, you're into matching sizes, and getting the sub out of the rear shelf is a bear.

Lots of choices, lots of work - and one could easily spend the retail value of a damaged car on the audio system replacement.

I usually advise folks who want to overhaul their Mercedes audio to take the car only to high-end audio shops that have Mercedes experience. Unless you have such experience, you could easily get in over your head. On the other hand, you may be just such a guy, who only needs the fascia you asked about - hope the links help.

Last edited by Skylaw; 10-18-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL600
Yup...

After careful consideration I have decided to tell the dealer that sold this vehicle to give the customer $1000.00 and tell him to go away, otherwise they will be married to all problems that may come up in the future.