S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Burning Oil.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garage Temporarily Empty
Burning Oil.......

I have heard that the V12TT engines "burn oil". By that, I mean, you need to periodically add quarts of oil because the level gets low.....I don't know if this has any truth to it or it may just depend on the particular vehicle having a certain issue causing this symptom.

I ask because I have this issue and have added 3 quarts of Mobile1 0w40 in the last 4 months and it's not a daily driver..... I am not sure what to think.

Last edited by Vabene7; 10-25-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
My 01' CL600, which is a slightly different engine, burns about a quart a month and its a daily driver.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
i haven't needed to add ANY oil in my 600 ever. Atleast that is what my dash has told me. And mine is driven well, aka autocross, drags, and the one time road race
Old 10-25-2011, 12:13 PM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
Adding a quart a month is not normal, especially if it's not a daily driver. If most people go 12k-15k miles between oil changes, that could mean their car would go completely empty on oil.

I would get it looked at, but it would probably mean engine rebuild (piston rings) or new turbos. Either would be at least a $6k job at the dealership. When you say burning oil, can you see quite a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust? Perhaps have a friend follow behind you on a normal drive, and see if a lot of smoke comes out during acceleration.

Since you're in Jersey, they should have some of those hokey SMOG testing places right? If you know someone that works at one, have them look into your exhaust gas, perhaps that would hint if there's excessive oil being burned.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
You know, I get completely different opinions on this subject.
Some people and even MB technicians, say it's normal to burn 1 quart per
2-3k miles.
Others, even other MB technicians, say completely the opposite, in that, no way should a "newer" MB V12TT burn any oil whatsoever.

In my case, when I get on the throttle hard, I see a pretty big plume of white smoke kick up behind the car. This is everytime I blast the throttle.
I do not abuse the car in any way, but I do drive hard on the throttle.

I am not sure what to think.....But maybe my upcoming service B will reveal more details when I talk to the technicians about my symptoms....

Anyone else, please chime in with opinions or ideas.....Thanks.

-Chris
Old 10-25-2011, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Vabene7
2-3k miles.
Others, even other MB technicians, say completely the opposite, in that, no way should a "newer" MB V12TT burn any oil whatsoever.

In my case, when I get on the throttle hard, I see a pretty big plume of white smoke kick up behind the car. This is every time I blast the throttle.

I am not sure what to think.....But maybe my upcoming service B will reveal more details when I talk to the technicians about my symptoms....

-Chris
This is the part that would have me concerned. If it does it EVERY TIME, you can count on something being not up to snuff. Way too many variables to guess at my friend.

First thing first, you said white smoke, which is usually water/anti freeze. But you also say you are loosing oil. Check your over fill tank to see if it is WAY too high, or low. Reason why, low means you are eating water, high could mean you are leaking oil, aka head gasket, turbo, etc.

I'll check a few things for you when I get home and post up tomorrow.

Don't be alarmed yet, but constant smoke is usually not a good thing.

AS far as buring a little oil, I would NOT be alarmed. Your consumption has me a little concerned. It is NOT uncommon to eat a quart every 3-4K. My old stang drank one every 1K, and was a beast till the day I sold her. I'll check back tomorrow with more.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 10-25-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
Originally Posted by Vabene7
2-3k miles.

In my case, when I get on the throttle hard, I see a pretty big plume of white smoke kick up behind the car. This is everytime I blast the throttle.

-Chris
My car used to do that too and it was an issue I brought up with my service advisor. He recommended some kind of fuel injection cleaning service that gets rid of the carbon build up or something? Sorry I don't remember what it was called but it got rid of the white smoke completely. My S.A (lowkey) told me that the service was bullsh*t and it wasn't necessary but I went through with it anyways and I couldn't be happier.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
One more thought befor heading home. Do you have a dip stick for your car? The reason I ask is IF the sensor is bad, you may be adding oil that your engine does NOT need. Which could be your smoking issue as well.

I always like to think cheap things first
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Garage Temporarily Empty
I just added 2 quarts do Mobil1 tonight when the "add 1 liter" displayed on the screen inside the speedometer.
The reason I don't think it's the oil sensor is after I add the specified amount of oil, run the engine for a few minutes, then check again, the oil level displays as an acceptable level.
I will do some testing while driving a reaffirm the white smoke is still occurring each and every time I hit the throttle hard.

You can actually see it in the recent video I posted in the M275 V12 section....https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...-promised.html
Look for the part just after I pull away from the light and get on the throttle.....you will undoubtedly see this puff of smoke. And it wasn't the tires....

Last edited by Vabene7; 10-26-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some oil consumption, while not normal in a perfectly built brand new motor according to MB's specs, is normal as a car ages and seals/gaskets/rings are not 100% perfectly sealed up.

I would say a quart every 3-5K miles maybe at most. The weight of the oil has some bearing on how much is burned too.

You should see grey smoke on acceleration, and sometimes white when lifting. Whitish/blue is oil. Grey is rich fuel mixture, normal under full throttle. If you are seeing white/blue on acceleration, then you have some blowby. This could be internal, like rings, or gaskets, like the head gaskets, or the turbo seals.

I would get it checked. The amount of oil you say you are adding, assuming it's not overfilling, combined with white smoke on acceleration, makes me think you have some blowby in one place or another.

Bruce