S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

W220 Widescreen Radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
All you can use is an 03.. not up.. They are about $5-600 on eBay/junk yard. Then you have to get the speed signal converter from that Swedish guy around here.. and you need the trim.. thats really about it, it's a pretty simple swap.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Hey Classy, I have the 03 in my 00 and I have the speed signal converter and it all works great, but I would like to add the Aux in too.. I was told as soon as I add it and the radio detects it the blank button will start working.. anyway, I tried to get one at Radioshack with a female end to bare wire but they only had MONO.. do you know where I can get a stereo 3.5 jack, female to bare wires? Thanks!
sorry for delay, they were out of the better quality jacks so i went ahead with the cheap stuff, youll find it online if havent yet! also sent a pm
Old 01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Not that big a deal - new trim, new hvac control panel, and of course the COMAND. It would only work with the 2003 COMAND. 2004 and up can not be swapped without redoing the whole car.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cartronics
Not that big a deal - new trim, new hvac control panel, and of course the COMAND. It would only work with the 2003 COMAND. 2004 and up can not be swapped without redoing the whole car.
I really wish I could find a new hvac control with the chrome rings.. All the yards around here want $300 for them and I just cant justify that price for looks.. but it really would finish it off nicely..
Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
I really wish I could find a new hvac control with the chrome rings.. All the yards around here want $300 for them and I just cant justify that price for looks.. but it really would finish it off nicely..
try ebay I almost bought one there, my screen died had to replace it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM

S430
Do I have to change anything in there? I have read somewhere in this Forum , that you have to fix some pins or something like that .
Old 01-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I can't think of any COMAND changes at all.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM

S430
Is that " plug and play " ? What about the speed converter , where I have to install it ?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM

S430
All you can use is an 03.. not up.. They are about $5-600 on eBay/junk yard. Then you have to get the speed signal converter from that Swedish guy around here.. and you need the trim.. thats really about it, it's a pretty simple swap.
Did you have any pictures that you might have made through your installation ?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM

S430
Can please provide any info or pictures about installation ?
Did you made any other changes ?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM

The information is in a couple threads around here that has pictures, but basically you need the Comand, and the trim. Your HVAC will work, the only difference from old to new is the chrome rings that match the radio. You will have to cut the tabs off of your dash with either a dremel or cutters. As for changing pins, there are about three wires you need to change on your Comand connector. It's very simple you just push the tab down and pull out the pin and insert it in the correct spot. There are diagrams all over the web, including on the threads that have pictures of the upgrade. There is a thread here starting with "My Comand 16x9 facelift" and one on Benzworld. The speed signal converter is required to make the map on the navigation work. Someone with an 01, actually two people claim not to need it, but I have an 00 and I needed it. The wheel controls, cluster etc all work fine with the new Comand just changing the pins. Again, if wanting to retain navigation you will need an antenna adapter or a $11 Alpine navigation antenna on eBay. Some Kenwood antennas work too. Once you have all the parts it's a very easy swap. Maybe take you 45 minutes.. Just take your time and check your work. I researched this for a month before I actually put my parts in the car.. There isn't even a months worth of information on this but I re-read everything so I knew exactly what to do. My car was pretty new when I did it and I wasn't firmiliar with any of it and didn't want to screw anything up.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 AM

S430
The information is in a couple threads around here that has pictures, but basically you need the Comand, and the trim. Your HVAC will work, the only difference from old to new is the chrome rings that match the radio. You will have to cut the tabs off of your dash with either a dremel or cutters. As for changing pins, there are about three wires you need to change on your Comand connector. It's very simple you just push the tab down and pull out the pin and insert it in the correct spot. There are diagrams all over the web, including on the threads that have pictures of the upgrade. There is a thread here starting with "My Comand 16x9 facelift" and one on Benzworld. The speed signal converter is required to make the map on the navigation work. Someone with an 01, actually two people claim not to need it, but I have an 00 and I needed it. The wheel controls, cluster etc all work fine with the new Comand just changing the pins. Again, if wanting to retain navigation you will need an antenna adapter or a $11 Alpine navigation antenna on eBay. Some Kenwood antennas work too. Once you have all the parts it's a very easy swap. Maybe take you 45 minutes.. Just take your time and check your work. I researched this for a month before I actually put my parts in the car.. There isn't even a months worth of information on this but I re-read everything so I knew exactly what to do. My car was pretty new when I did it and I wasn't firmiliar with any of it and didn't want to screw anything up.
Thank you for the info but where do I have to search , to find the new trim and HVAC ?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 AM

S430
Do you have done any installation like this Cartronics ? Do I need a speed converter ?
Old 01-21-2012, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Twins05
Do you have done any installation like this Cartronics ? Do I need a speed converter ?
I won't speak for Cartronics, but I can tell you they were a huge help to me when I did my build. They did tell me the converter was a must. They were very informative and if you decide to have someone else do it I can tell you I spoke to them pretty deeply reguarding canbus, and schematics of the car/unit, and I can't think of a better place to have perform this swap.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM

S430
I won't speak for Cartronics, but I can tell you they were a huge help to me when I did my build. They did tell me the converter was a must. They were very informative and if you decide to have someone else do it I can tell you I spoke to them pretty deeply reguarding canbus, and schematics of the car/unit, and I can't think of a better place to have perform this swap.
Actually, 3 months ago , I wrote an e-mail to Cartronics and I wanted to buy the Comand/Navigation from them because I saw in their Web that they have one for sale , price $ 1890 ( something like that ) . This guy that contacted me is located in Cartronics Atlanta. He told me that they do not have and they do not know anything about that.
Maybe He was overwhelmed from a lot of questions about this issue .

Thank you
Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I think CMPCPRO is talking about the adapter, CANBUS and other systems we have intimate knowledge of.
I think you are speaking about the COMAND PRO, which we did not intend to make one for the W220. We are currently (Jan 2012) investigating a new technology that may make it feasible in the near future though .
Old 01-23-2012, 11:34 PM

S430
I think CMPCPRO is talking about the adapter, CANBUS and other systems we have intimate knowledge of.
I think you are speaking about the COMAND PRO, which we did not intend to make one for the W220. We are currently (Jan 2012) investigating a new technology that may make it feasible in the near future though .
Cartronics, I know you are very good guys and helpful. My question now is How can you help me to install Comand 2.0 ? I am a handy guy but still I do not feel so confident to start that , with all the pins , speed converter, adapter and so on.
Are you going to help me through this adventure or You are going to install it for me in Atlanta ?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

We know how to do it, have done it - but we do not carry the parts to do it. It is no longer something we do in the shop, do to time and volume. We can only offer friendly advice on it. Some of the other guys here that have done it can help as well.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 AM

I e-mailed Cartronics and they were super helpful about everything. Reguarding the speed signal converter, they didn't get in depth but confirmed I did infact need it, which turned out to be absolutely correct. I have done this swap, and had the unit out ten times since then to add things, stop squeaks etc. If you want to do this swap which I think is absolutely worth every penny it's not that hard. You need to buy a Comand MOPF unit off eBay or junk yard etc. You will need to find Chris the Swede here on this board and buy a speed signal converter from him. You will need the two trim pieces, top and bottom. Don't forget if you care to match the wood trim to your ashtray. Your ASHTRAY because all W220's have different wood trim on the upper strip along the dash/doors. I matched mine because I wanted the entire dash to be one type. You don't need the HVAC, unless you want the matching rings, if not that will save you atleast a couple hundred. The only other thing you need is an adapter for the GPS antenna which is harder to find then the holy grail, so you will need an $11 Alpine GPS antenna off of eBay.

Now. You will need to change a couple pins out on the C2 connector. That's it. You need to change the D2B bus wakeup wire, and the two canbus wires. Basically you get the pin out list which I can help you with when the time comes and change them around it's super easy. For the speed signal converter. It has 6 wires on it. Power, ground, canbus hi/lo in and canbus hi/lo out. You will cut the two canbus hi/lo wires after you have changed the pins and solder the converter into it. Then you need two add a taps and connect the ground and power to the ground and constant power of the Comand. The speed signal converter does not hook up to switched power, but constant. I can give you the color codes on the wires for that too. The entire swap is alot easier than it sounds. The hardest part, and it's not even hard is taking the dremel to the dash and grinding off the four tabs. They have to be grinded off completely, and level with the dash as this unit is squared and the old one has a few units bolted to a bracket.

If you decide to do it I recomend you get a 3.5mm patch cable from an electronics store. You will cut the male end off and splice the three wires into the C2 connector if you want AUX, which incidently sounds absolutely crystal clear. That is only three extra wires (ground, left, right) and quite worth it in my opinion.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes-Benz S500, 2002 Acura MDX Touring
Originally Posted by johndorsey74
I plan to purchase and Install when I return from Iraq. I will post pics as soon as I install. It does come with wood kit.
Hi John,
Did you install it in your s500 and does it work well??? Please let me know as I plan to install on as well. What exactly do you end up losing when you replace it with the factory unit?? How is the sound etc etc..
Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM

2003 Mercedes-Benz S500, 2002 Acura MDX Touring
Any developments yet??

We have cost of build this many times. Every time a supplier comes out with a new sub board, we do it again. The reality is that the typical S Class owner is just not interested in this. I know I am, and you guys are, but just to break even on our last cost sheet, we would need to sell about 1800 units (before making a profit - unless the price was simply ridiculous) - we have polled our client club list a couple of times, and got a grand total of 42 clients interested. That is the real reason it probably won't be done....BUT.... stranger things have happened.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Hi Cartronics,

I have a 2003 S500 with Nav, any luck making the changes to fully adapt with my car yet?? Does it lose any of the options?? Thinking of replacing it with my factory Nav.

Steadystud
Old 02-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
chris - just post that damn C2 conversion chart picture!!! lol im still debating whether to do this now or get the steering wheel first..

i just want to be able to load my cds from cockpit, and video in motion for the young ones
Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by classyS
chris - just post that damn C2 conversion chart picture!!! lol im still debating whether to do this now or get the steering wheel first..

i just want to be able to load my cds from cockpit, and video in motion for the young ones
I don't have one. I used the ones on Chris the Swede's post. Basically hi and lo canbus go on the bottom left two connectors, and the D2B bus wire has to be moved to either the top right or one below the top right pin and thats it. If you want AUX there are three more pins but you need to make a 3.5mm patch cable as our cars don't have the actual connector.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johndorsey74
After reading posts I was set on keeping my factory radio installed, until I came across the website OemCarGps.com. They are selling a Command Widescreen GPS Head Unit w/ touchscreen/DVD/bluetooth/ipod connection/Tv Tuner ready/ Rear Back up camera ready/USB connection/Mini SD slot/Steering wheel controls capable and Wood Grain Kit. Below is Pic from website. Ill post more when I install mine as soon as I return from Iraq.

http://www.oemcargps.com/mercedes-be...em-p-1171.html

it sound great.but anyone could tell me how is their service and puroducts? or who bought one from the shop. i am going to change my audi a4 audio unit.but it's hard to choose a best one cause of too much the same and similar product around the net.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Banned

read again.still get a lot from here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W220 Widescreen Radio upgrade