S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

W220 Widescreen Radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johndorsey74
After reading posts I was set on keeping my factory radio installed, until I came across the website OemCarGps.com. They are selling a Command Widescreen GPS Head Unit w/ touchscreen/DVD/bluetooth/ipod connection/Tv Tuner ready/ Rear Back up camera ready/USB connection/Mini SD slot/Steering wheel controls capable and Wood Grain Kit. Below is Pic from website. Ill post more when I install mine as soon as I return from Iraq.

http://www.oemcargps.com/mercedes-be...em-p-1171.html

i came across this product, it says:

Configuration parameter:

1, CPU: RAM 11-600MHZ.
2, WinCE.net 6.0 CORE.

what does it mean?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
This is an all-in-one indash unit with a bezel sized to fit in the comand sized hole in your dash.

The description includes computer or PC type specifications because the unit does have a microprocessor to perform most of the advertised functions.

WinCE is an operating system, like Windows, Android or Mac OS. Core usually means the WinCE runs off of firmware and is burned into the unit itself (no disk to boot).

None of which are directly related to interfacing this unit to your w220.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:19 AM
Banned

understand,thank you
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Banned

i bought this one from their online shop, waiting for arrival.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM

W204 C300 2010
Still holding off... If you go to YouTube you can see a lot of manufacturer advertisement garbage where the person is using a pda pointer to touch the screen. I found this one related to actual user experience...

Although not a MBZ unit, all of these head units are very similar in operation. I had a generic head unit like this a few years ago and tried it out in my minivan. I liked the functionality, but the operating system and firmware look and feel was still pretty primitive and I did not keep the unit. I could use it, but the it was not intuitive enough for my wife and kids.

Looks like things have gotten a lot better, I especially like the look of the W220 unit's buttons. But again, the base unit operation is still important to me.

Please let us all know what you think when you get your unit.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Well I had one exactly like the one in this video.. they do have both sides, WinCE being one.. mine was a Dynavin unit for my BMW E46.. if you go to www.e46fanatics.com and go to the audio forum there are tons of info on these systems, which are all basically they same.. I like them, think they work great BUT, not for MB.. Loose the fiber optics, phone, teleaid, wheel buttons, guage cluster info.. etc
Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Banned

got it!! watching the video you recommend.........
Old 11-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Banned

want to learn more, anybody talks more about this unit........
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
sorry GPS, but that system is weak and the human interface is just plain junk. I tried many of these from China and even discussed with a company at CES, but it is just cheap electronics. I came across this thread searching for a mounting kit for an aftermarket radio to be installed. I have a interface that will allow audio to be put on the optical ring while retaining the factory amplifier. unfortunately it doesn't do fade but I just did an E class for my Aunt and it sounds phenomenal. I put the info in the audio section of the forum
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jbondox
sorry GPS, but that system is weak and the human interface is just plain junk. I tried many of these from China and even discussed with a company at CES, but it is just cheap electronics. I came across this thread searching for a mounting kit for an aftermarket radio to be installed. I have a interface that will allow audio to be put on the optical ring while retaining the factory amplifier. unfortunately it doesn't do fade but I just did an E class for my Aunt and it sounds phenomenal. I put the info in the audio section of the forum

I'm sorry, but I think it is biased
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Banned

i still believe the gps from china is worth considering.my gps is from china and it works well now.no problem.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Banned

nobody post reply here?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Banned

Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM

W204 C300 2010
My Comand replacement project teaser....

2011 Kia Sonata UVO head unit in my '06 W220:

image hosting

Zoom out view with Sirius on:

pic upload

2011 Hyundai Genesys amplifier:

free photo hosting

Overview:

UVO -powered by Microsoft

* Bluetooth phone
* BT audio music
* Ipod connectivity and control
* Zune connectivity - full file readability
* USB drive connectivity
* Built in Jukebox - only 700mb
* HD Radio
* Sirius
* CD (wish that the CD could be deleted)
* FM RDS station information display
* Voice commands to place calls and control audio sources
* Back up camera with guidelines (tested to work)

Found brand new unit on eBay - dealer cost for this headunit is $1400. Ebay find for $299

Not plug and play, everything was broken down to the printed circuit board. Could not find all Kia mating connectors so all connectors were unsolder or cutoff and everything was hard wired. The head unit faceplate was separated and mounted in a used MBZ bezel.

Found a early "3 hole" bezel for $22 on Ebay:

upload foto

Center splines were cut out to make one big hole in the bezel. Kia UVO chassis is double-din sized, but the faceplate is much larger and was designed to fit behind the Kia dash.

On the top of the unit, it shows 4 channels at 4 ohms, but no analog amplifier circuitry exists on the PC board. There is place for a common 4 channel audio amplifier integrated circuit, but none of the surrounding components exist. Many blank locations for these components.

Digital connectivity is Kia's version of SP-DIF. Head unit must be used with a Kia or Hyundai amplifier using SP-DIF. Alpine, Pioneer, or other aftermarket headunits with SP-DIF probably will not work. 7 audio channels are multiplexed in the SP-DIF signal. The amplifier has to de-mux these channels into 7 analog audio channels - LF, RF, LR, RR, sub, etc...

Had to find a Kia amp. Once found, had to ensure that the amp had a SP-DIF input. Even so, I guessed that Kia and Hyundai amps would use the same de-mux for the audio. They do

This is a full piggy back install. I did not remove any of the MBZ components. I tapped into speaker connections from the MBZ amplifier and disconnected the main connector. I can put the Comand back at anytime.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Banned

it's a good post
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM

w220 s320
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
I e-mailed Cartronics and they were super helpful about everything. Reguarding the speed signal converter, they didn't get in depth but confirmed I did infact need it, which turned out to be absolutely correct. I have done this swap, and had the unit out ten times since then to add things, stop squeaks etc. If you want to do this swap which I think is absolutely worth every penny it's not that hard. You need to buy a Comand MOPF unit off eBay or junk yard etc. You will need to find Chris the Swede here on this board and buy a speed signal converter from him. You will need the two trim pieces, top and bottom. Don't forget if you care to match the wood trim to your ashtray. Your ASHTRAY because all W220's have different wood trim on the upper strip along the dash/doors. I matched mine because I wanted the entire dash to be one type. You don't need the HVAC, unless you want the matching rings, if not that will save you atleast a couple hundred. The only other thing you need is an adapter for the GPS antenna which is harder to find then the holy grail, so you will need an $11 Alpine GPS antenna off of eBay.

Now. You will need to change a couple pins out on the C2 connector. That's it. You need to change the D2B bus wakeup wire, and the two canbus wires. Basically you get the pin out list which I can help you with when the time comes and change them around it's super easy. For the speed signal converter. It has 6 wires on it. Power, ground, canbus hi/lo in and canbus hi/lo out. You will cut the two canbus hi/lo wires after you have changed the pins and solder the converter into it. Then you need two add a taps and connect the ground and power to the ground and constant power of the Comand. The speed signal converter does not hook up to switched power, but constant. I can give you the color codes on the wires for that too. The entire swap is alot easier than it sounds. The hardest part, and it's not even hard is taking the dremel to the dash and grinding off the four tabs. They have to be grinded off completely, and level with the dash as this unit is squared and the old one has a few units bolted to a bracket.

If you decide to do it I recomend you get a 3.5mm patch cable from an electronics store. You will cut the male end off and splice the three wires into the C2 connector if you want AUX, which incidently sounds absolutely crystal clear. That is only three extra wires (ground, left, right) and quite worth it in my opinion.
hello
I buy the converter speed signal but I would like to know how to connect the wire because there are 6 wire 1 red (12v) 1 black (Masse) 2 blue can Lo (Blue, blue black) 2 yellow can hi (yellow ,yellow black)
in it pin should they be connected?
pin 8 (can-b lo) and 9 (can-b hi) are only 1 wire
can I have a schematic connection
thanks

Last edited by stefane.pu; 06-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:15 PM

mercedes w220 s320 year 2000
upgrade from audio 30

Dear All,

I have ordered a similar one and I am upgrading from audio 30. The audio 30 unit is connected to the bezel and there is no where I can mount the unit (please see the attached photo). What should I do now? is there any mount kit or I have to change the whole dash unit?

KM
Attached Thumbnails W220 Widescreen Radio upgrade-img_7225s.jpg  
Old 07-20-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
try cruchfield i changed mine to command 2.0 had to cut the holes, but the unit had tabs on side to mount on the inside of the cavity. there should be 1 on each side.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 AM

mercedes w220 s320 year 2000
cut the leather-like stuffs?

Thanks for the reply, I am not in the state so...Anyway, should I remove the grey leather-like pad in the tab and the lower horizontal bar? I wonder if there are holes for the screws beneath.

KM
Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 AM

look on this forum, there are many installs with command 2.0, maybe if you can take the tabs on the side of old radio and put on new radio. dont cut anything until you look at post on this forum, cmpcpro had good one. which unit ar you putting in car. look up at earlier post.

Last edited by corkshoppe; 07-23-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 PM

2001 Mercedes S430
I have successfully completed the 01' to the Wide screen 03' model Nav unit in my S430!! Thanks to the proper research and buying to correct parts needed for the swap from Chris-Thanks to Chris in Sweden for supplying me the new antenna and the speed signal converter. I was able to buy an 03 model COMAND unit off of eBay for $500(it also came with the bonus disc inside!) This pin swap is what took so long.

The problem i had was: I broke off one of the pins trying to pull it out of the socket. and soldering wasn't too bad. I do not have much experience in soldering. Message me if you have any questions about this process and I will do my best to walk you through it. I would post pics on here if i could. i also have a full wiring diagram showing the pin swaps and how the speed signal get wired correctly.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:02 PM

did you add aux cable?
Old 08-02-2013, 06:50 PM

2001 Mercedes S430
no. I have the ipod integration from Dice Electronics already installed. I was thinking of switching it to The AUX taps on the C2 connector to see if it will display the SONGS and ARTISTS from the ipod? Not sure if data will come off of the ipod through a 3.5mm stereo plug? The pins for the AUX are pin 04(rt) pin 13(lt) and 06 is the GND.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 AM

w220 s320
Originally Posted by treyman
I have successfully completed the 01' to the Wide screen 03' model Nav unit in my S430!! Thanks to the proper research and buying to correct parts needed for the swap from Chris-Thanks to Chris in Sweden for supplying me the new antenna and the speed signal converter. I was able to buy an 03 model COMAND unit off of eBay for $500(it also came with the bonus disc inside!) This pin swap is what took so long.

The problem i had was: I broke off one of the pins trying to pull it out of the socket. and soldering wasn't too bad. I do not have much experience in soldering. Message me if you have any questions about this process and I will do my best to walk you through it. I would post pics on here if i could. i also have a full wiring diagram showing the pin swaps and how the speed signal get wired correctly.
Hello

If you could send me the diagram and pics it was very cool

My email is stefane.pu@gmail.com

Thanks
Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM

2002 S430
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
All you can use is an 03.. not up.. They are about $5-600 on eBay/junk yard. Then you have to get the speed signal converter from that Swedish guy around here.. and you need the trim.. thats really about it, it's a pretty simple swap.
A few basic questions on the 2003 Nav/Comand unit for my 2002 S430:
1. If the unit being sold does not have the cables with it (just the unit alone), can I use the fiber optic cables that exists in my 2002 S430? If not where can I get the cables I would need?
2. Does one need the code for the replacement '03 NAv to get it to work? (I know on my system if you where to pull it out you need it - it's a theft protection feature)
3. Are there any after market electronic link devices to expand features like: Bluetooth to link my iPhone, , live traffic feedback, and a backup camera to the screen when in reverse?
4. Are there any MB updates for the United States Map on DVD (newer streets added, 3D better graphics)?
Any and all thoughts are welcome, thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W220 Widescreen Radio upgrade