S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Gearbox gone at 80K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 Ex SL55, ML55, S430
Gearbox gone at 80K

My S430 Gearbox has completely wrecked at 80,000 miles.

3100 UK Pounds to install a factory reconditioned unit!!

To their credit Mercedes have offered 50% towards the bill. The car is four years old and out of warranty, and they have towed it in free and given me a courtesy car while it is repaired (Brand new S320 CDi - very impressed - feels about as quick as my 430 and doing 35 mpg!).

BUT - very unimpressed with the failure. I have had numerous BMW 7 series with over 100,000 miles on them (one with 180,000) and never experienced such problems. One of the reasons you buy a Merc is you expect it to run for 300,000 miles without any major failures.

Is this a common problem!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 03:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lifetime fill transmission fluid always seemed kinda fishy

We'll know in another year or two whether or not the LTF was a good decision when alot of the w220's hit around 5 years old and 60-70k miles

I know the w202 automatic gearbox was a disaster at around 50-80k miles
Old 06-18-2003, 10:45 AM

im about to hit 80K in not too long, i've spent thousands on the car for problems, i dont think MB will help me out with the bill when it comes.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:08 PM

I've been told to change my fluid as soon as the warranty expires. Perhaps there is some "symptom" that you can create in order to get MB to change it under warranty?

Boy, with all these horror stories about German cars, I'm ready to try a <sotto voce> Lexus. There, I said it.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:28 PM

Resist the urges Just got the call to say it is ready - I wonder what the bill is going to be!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 02:27 PM

jaeger, lexus is nice inside and all, but outside they don't look as good as mercedes, also i don't know how safe they are compared to an s-class.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by morebhp
Resist the urges Just got the call to say it is ready - I wonder what the bill is going to be!!!
Yes, resist, keep on holding out! Remember don't dump Mercedes just because they want to overcharge you, i mean, you did buy one of their flag ship models.

also i don't know how safe they are compared to an s-class.
Plenty safe, lets just not turn this into a Lexus VS Mercedes thread.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:30 PM

02 C32AMG
Originally posted by apricotscrub
i've spent thousands on the car for problems
Do you mind telling us what kind of problems?
Old 06-18-2003, 09:43 PM

besides rotors and pads that run me like 1,000 each time, fuel pump broke 1,000, airmatic compressor and valve unit broke 2 times, 2nd time was repaired free first time 1,000, leaking wiper fluid, comand system configuration was all messed up, i know what else, but i remember outside of maintence it cost around 2500$ cuz thats what I'm suing the car dealership for.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vraa
Plenty safe, lets just not turn this into a Lexus VS Mercedes thread.
Seems like lots of people here have both too.

Sorry to read about the gearbox, morebhp. The fact that they're willing to pay half after the warranty's out makes me wonder if this is a known defect. Or, do they just want to keep you as a long-term customer? Anyhow, I hope it gets fixed properly and promptly.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by jpb5151
Sorry to read about the gearbox, morebhp. The fact that they're willing to pay half after the warranty's out makes me wonder if this is a known defect. Or, do they just want to keep you as a long-term customer?
Suspect had I not bought an official UK SL55 last year they may not have played ball.

Collected the car last night - the dealer has looked after me pretty well - had the new S320 for over a week, and the new gearbox fitted for just over a grand (about 1600 US Dollars) so could have been much worse. Hope the rest of the car hold up for another 9 months or so before I swap!
Old 06-19-2003, 01:21 PM

s65AMG, sl500
Hi,

Did you get the option to extend the warrenty when you reached 4 years ?

I've got a 430 that will be 4 years old in September, get the odd burble from the uspension but thats it.

What are you considering swapping the car for ?
Old 06-19-2003, 01:55 PM

BMW 535d Touring

Collected the car last night - the dealer has looked after me pretty well - had the new S320 for over a week, and the new gearbox fitted for just over a grand (about 1600 US Dollars) so could have been much worse. Hope the rest of the car hold up for another 9 months or so before I swap! [/B]
I wouldn't have accepted 50%. You should have said you were a regular here - the last thing MB want is negative publicity. I've had a similar issue with a 300TE that blew at 26K miles and ended up with a free engine and a new car offer at cost.

I'd suggest your contribution should be 20% max - after all MB make a great play of the reliability of their taxis, which do 500K without problems.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:12 PM

Speaking of warranty extensions, I note the only after-market warranty company offering coverage in California (1Source) specifically excludes the COMAND system and "pneumatic suspensions" from their coverage. That is on their list of exclusions for every policy (see below). What does 1Source know that we should know?

SECTION EIGHT – WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THIS VSA

YOUR VSA DOES NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR, OR APPLY TO, THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:

A. Physical damage; alignment of bumper/body/trim parts; glass; lenses, bulbs, fuses, sealed beams, fiber optics or any other illumination device; wiper blades; bright metal; jacks; fasteners (i.e.: nuts, bolts, clips, screws, pins, studs, brackets, clamps, rivets, etc.); safety restraint devices (Diamond plan includes airbag electrical component coverage), fuel filler cap, electronic choke, paint; rust; upholstery; sun visors/sunshades or roller blind components/motors, Quadra Steer/ All Wheel steering components; plastic or plastic-like items such as, but not limited to: plastic valve covers or intake manifolds, cup holders, tanks; hinges, moldings, bezels or consoles; keys or key chips; heated steering wheel; electronic spoiler; any remote devices; carpet; rubber or rubber-like items; convertible top/window; vinyl top; weather-strips; squeaks and rattles or any other noise; interior/exterior ornamentation; video entertainment systems; appliances; web access/phone systems; Mercedes Benz Command Center/Module; pneumatic suspension systems; voice-activated devices; body sheet metal, bumpers, body panels, structural framework, structural welds; water leaks; wind leaks/noise; sealants/caulking tubes, materials/shop supplies, hazardous waste/disposal charges and other maintenance parts and services. Also excluded are: wheels, wheel balancing, rims, valve stems, wheel covers; tires (other than expenses as outlined under Section Nine “TIRE ROAD HAZARD COVERAGE”). All after market parts or accessories, whether installed by the manufacturer or not, including but not limited to: CB Radios, cellular phones, audio systems, high performance parts and/or accessories, performance chips, injectors, performance upgrades.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by Mmmm
Hi,

Did you get the option to extend the warrenty when you reached 4 years ?

I've got a 430 that will be 4 years old in September, get the odd burble from the uspension but thats it.

What are you considering swapping the car for ?
I bought the S class second hand from a trader friend (!) of mine so did not bother with warranty expnsions.

Mercedes have met me half way with this gearbox failure, a heater control set and power steering pump!

As stated above I have had numerous high mileage work horses from BMW (7's and 5') and have driven them hard without any major problems, so I expected at least as good from Mercedes and probably better. This car is low milage for me (75,000).

I have just sold my SL55 to buy a place in Spain so I will probably swap the S430 at the start of winter (good time to buy a convertible) for another 740/750 and a 10 year old SL500 (cheap classic insurance). I had a 1990 SL500 for many years - these were built in the days when Mercedes built this bullet proof reputation.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:10 PM

Correction 1Source says that "pneumatic suspension" is not Mercedes Airmatic, but rather a Lincoln LS "airbag" suspension. They also say the COMAND exclusion is only for 2002 or later models with integrated voice command GPS/radio. I now have that in writing so I will get the warranty. Worth the peace of mind, even though, as with all insurance, they have it priced so they make money on it.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:45 PM

I think even the Mercedes extended warranty does not cover COMAND.