S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 mercedes benz s430
Yeah Bro If the seller takes care of all the issues you listed then I would consider buying it all though the rust you are talking about still scares me who knows how it got there

Originally Posted by haoz129
No, not yet.

Will see how the seller handles all the repairs. Further negotiation is going on.
If all the issues can be remediated then it's good to go. Otherwise I will be taking too much risk, honestly speaking.

All advices from the forum plus suggestions from my friends make me more cautious about this deal.
And as you mentioned I'm trying to convince myself this is not the only S600 in the world. But it'll be very hard to give her up. Hope you understand.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SFBIGBODY415
Yeah Bro If the seller takes care of all the issues you listed then I would consider buying it all though the rust you are talking about still scares me who knows how it got there
Thanks, early bird, always the first to post.
, Happy to see your reply every morning.

Have to say I'm little bit tired due to recently works plus some pressure from this deal. Currently I'm leaning to get more compensation and the negotiation is going on.

I will be very soon to provide update and my final decision on this deal.
More information about this car will be disclosed too.

Wish you a wonderful day and the forums !

Howard
Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 AM

Volvo is happy again.

All,

During another round of negotiation I asked for a further $2k off.
Actually I tended to leave the table since my exciting about this car was gradually vanished due to all kind of issues one by one discovered.
I'm not greedy neither money is problem for me. Just didn't feel comfortable with existing price. I believe I know the value of the car and I want to pay a fare price according to the condition of this car.

Seller asked me for the bill.
Deal canceled.
Got my deposit back, without 1 cent less.

I did add gas (damn, 94 is expensive) to cover all the trips and $350 paid for the Star Certified inspection. Let alone several trips to see the car. But that's the price I should pay.

Shook hands and praised him for being knowledgable.
Didn't look back, went straight to my Volvo.
Volvo used her warm light greeting me. I threw myself into her arm.
Seat was still so comfortable that I even forgot how Benz feels.
The way going back is familiar.
My Volvo must be very happy to see I left the big Benz and tried to sing happyly and freely showing the Benz is no better.
But I could feel some rough notes came from her voice as she stretched herself to accelerate like a Benz.
Yes, Benz did it effortlessly. But I don't care. My Volvo is still comfy, one of the safest car in the world. I felt more confident driving in this car as I know her in every details.

2 hours trip, dark and I was getting numb.
Just have a rest and tomorrow will be a fresh start.

Thanks.

Howard

Last edited by haoz129; 01-12-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:12 AM

2000 mercedes benz s430
I think I made the right move on this car. This car sounded like a big headache and if you would have bought it it would have cost you way more then $350 in future repairs on this v12. Just keep looking you will find a good s600 and probably for a better deal.

All,

During another round of negotiation I asked for a further $2k off.
Actually I tended to leave the table since my exciting about this car was gradually vanished due to all kind of issues one by one discovered.
I'm not greedy neither money is problem for me. Just didn't feel comfortable with existing price. I believe I know the value of the car and I want to pay a fare price according to the condition of this car.

Seller asked me for the bill.
Deal canceled.
Got my deposit back, without 1 cent less.

I did add gas (damn, 94 is expensive) to cover all the trips and $350 paid for the Star Certified inspection. Let alone several trips to see the car. But that's the price I should pay.

My Volvo must be very happy to see I left the big Benz and tried to sing happyly and freely showing the Benz is no better.
But I could feel some rough notes came from her voice as she stretched herself to accelerate like a Benz.
Yes, Benz did it effortlessly. But I don't care. My Volvo is still comfy, one of the safest car in the world. I felt more confident driving in this car as I know her in every details.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
good call!!! now you can find a good one.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
All,

........Seller asked me for the bill.
Deal canceled.
Got my deposit back, without 1 cent less.........

Thanks.

Howard
Mornin Howard!

Wow, this is a very welcomed post! You seem to be quite the gent, deserving of a better situation. Great to hear!

Say, this heap w/ 80k for $22CAD... wouldn't importing the '03 w/ 74k mentioned ^above^ by "Chris" be roughly the same $$$ all-in? After shipping, taxes, import fees, inspection, etc.?

Seems a no brainer to me? Sounds pretty sorted already. And I do imagine the S600 selection set in all of Canada... is... pretty miniscule.

Would love to see this happen for you, will look forward to updates from you!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
success!!!

good to hear that u didnt give in, with all the knowledge gained.. you will find "the perfect s600."

heres Oxygen's former s600:

Originally Posted by Oxygen

Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Contests!

The head was supposed to say Congratulations but was changed by this silly spell checker!

You might want to consider an S500 with theM113 V8 engine or a S55 with the AMG M113K engine. There are hundreds of thousands of M113 and over 60k of the AMG engines in the field. These engines and cars have a great reliability rating compared to the V12 if maintained. People bought these cars and found they couldn't afford to maintain and repair them so finding a good example is crucial. My MB only tech regularly repairs cars for off warranty owners and better used car dealers; much of what I am saying is based on his long MB experience.

As a potential buyer, based on my experience as an owner of the S Klasse Coupe CL55 I would look at 04-06 cars with a solid service history if you like the classic Mercedes body style before nanny regs dictated the interim body style change. The S class may have updated electronics in 03. You'll have to look at that thread group.

I am not trying to diss any V12 owner who has faithfully maintained their cars such as many of the members of this site. thank goodness for the MB V12!

In spite of the typical used car experience shopping and gaining knowledge has it's own set of rewards as you have seen. You just may find the cars I have mentioned are a gas. They all have a similar pedigree, just pay for the best example you can find no matter which model you choose.

Last edited by grane; 01-12-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SFBIGBODY415
I think I made the right move on this car. This car sounded like a big headache and if you would have bought it it would have cost you way more then $350 in future repairs on this v12. Just keep looking you will find a good s600 and probably for a better deal.

Originally Posted by Oliverk
good call!!! now you can find a good one.

Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
Mornin Howard!

Wow, this is a very welcomed post! You seem to be quite the gent, deserving of a better situation. Great to hear!

Originally Posted by classyS
success!!!

good to hear that u didnt give in, with all the knowledge gained.. you will find "the perfect s600."

heres Oxygen's former s600:

Originally Posted by grane
The head was supposed to say Congratulations but was changed by this silly spell checker!
Thanks SFBIGBODY415, Oliverk, Sgt. Schultz, ClassyS and Grane!

I know either way I will get support from you all.
Really appreciated !

The S600 (camera as well) of Oxygen is soooooo beautiful. Jealous to death.

Best regards.

Howard
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Update: Going to pickup the car tomorrow.

Hi guys,

Sorry about the abrupt and dramatic situation changes.
I am also surprised about how this deal maneuvered.

As you know the deal was canceled and I gave up the car. All of sudden the dealer called me and showed up with a pretty soft voice: he still want the deal to be done.

He should know that I'm the only serious buyer. And from the odometer I know I'm the only one who test drove the car.

$20k for a S600, what can I say. Just as Sgt. Schultz mentioned, there are only 3 S600 (MY 2003-2006) listed for sale in whole canada. I believe I chosed the best one.
Don't want to waste all my homeworks done on this car. I gave him a 'Go' and arranged picking up tomorrow.

He'll do the fix to meet safety and provide plate/ownership.

Not as excited as I thought but still looking forward to see this beauty.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
damn man, i guess congrats, but its gonna be a long painful road to get this thing sorted.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S600
Can't say I didn't see this coming...

Howard,
Well, since you are going into this with both eyes wide open it is safe to say that you are getting what you bargained for. The dealer came up with a pretty good discount after you walked away from the deal. He really stepped up to the plate. You have a hard road ahead of you to bring this beauty back to life, but the key word here is beauty. She IS a beauty and hopefully you will get those already mentioned problems fixed and have yourself a great ride. Like you said, the options in Canada are EXTREMELY limited. This car will surely benefit from finding such a fine gentleman who has become an instant enthusiast.

Anyways, congrats on the new ride (I am jumping the gun a bit to be the first ). You will surely enjoy this one way more than the Volvo.

Keith

ETA: We WILL be expecting pictures forthwith.

Last edited by S600Keith; 01-12-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Oh brother...I hope for your sake this thing doesn't get any worse. If anything the dealer calling back suggests they're desperate to offload this thing. Personally I wouldn't have paid $10k for it.

I have to admire your enthusiasm, optimism and willing to listen though!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I wish you the best of luck with it. If you need help with parts sourcing or anything, let me know. I do a lot of work on the 600-series cars.

My own car that I am prepping for sale now has had, if a retail customer brought it to an MB dealer, over $13,000 worth of work and I'm still not done. And there was nothing really terrible wrong with it, it just adds up quickly.

But when I'm done with it, the car will be fantastic and in 100% proper operating condition. I hope the same happens with yours.

Bruce
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Congrats man! I don't think it will be that bad.. you'll get to know this car, and you can make sure it gets done right. I bet if alot of the people here got their cars inspected they would be suprised as just how much stuff could be bad.. Alot of the things you mentioned are not hard jobs.. Like you said, only 3 of them for sale in all of Canada.. if you want a S600, this seems like the best route to me.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:07 AM

Hi Everyone,

Looked into many nice write-ups in this great forum for several month before I decide to purchase my first MB. All information are very helpful and invaluable.
Can't image how much efforts all the members poured into here helping each others.

For me, S600 wins this time and I found a silver 2003 S600 with sport pkg, 80K miles, for $22000 CAD.
I fell in love with this car at the very first glance. It's so beautiful. After 2 test drive and DAS scan I secured the car 2 days before year end.
I'm very exciting and also know I'm facing some uncertainty.
This is my dream car as the V12 engine is an art for me more than a metal block. Not sure it'll brings me nice dream or nightmare.

Ok, here is some facts which need your advices. Hope none of them is a deal-breaker:
1) This car has 2 reported accident. One was small and the other costed $8000 to repair when it was one and half years old.
2) Check Engine was on but car drives great. Several related codes stored:
- P20E1 Charge air coolant circuit : Charge air temperature is too high. STORED
- P2050 Misfiring , Damages TWC (P0300) STORED
- P2056 Misfiring of cylinder 4, damages TWC (P0304) STORED
- P205B Misfiring of cylinder 8, damages TWC (P0308) STORED
- P20E7 N92/1 (ECI ignition module, right bank of cylinders) (P0300) STORED
- P2043 Misfiring (P0300) ( See currently valid STIP ) Current and stored
- P2049 Misfiring of cylinder 4 (P0304) ( See currently valid STIP ) Current and stored
- P204E Misfiring of cylinder 8 (P0308) ( See currently valid STIP ) STORED
- P201C B4/3 (Fuel tank pressure sensor) , Electrical fault (P0450, P0451, P0452, P0453) STORED
After Delete Fault Memory no Check Engine come back on a 10 miles highway trip.
Seems not an evident for bad Coil Pack.
3) Transmission seems fine but felt need more effort when backing up the vehicle than my Volvo. I never need push gas hard to backup with the Volvo. But felt apparently different on this MB S600.
4) Both side rear fenders have rust bubbles. Left side rust penetrated into door frame, size like a credit card. Hope I can go to the MB body shop asking for paint and let MB cover the cost since I read and know there is a campaign about rust.
5) Other codes can't be cleaned during DAS quick test:
- ESM - Electronic selector module
P1911 The link between control module N15/5 (Electronic selector lever module (ESM [EWM])) and the shift gate illumination is interrupted.
- DCM-FL - Doorcontrol module front left
B1521-005 Exterior mirror adjustment and heating : The mirror heater has Short circuit or open circuit.
- HSW - Heated steering wheel
B1010-001 The supply voltage of the control unit is too low (undervoltage).
- ESA-FL - Electricseat adjustment front left
B1006-003 No normalizing. No normalizing of backrest adjustment.
- OCP - Overhead control panel
B1066 SR is not normalized.

Will have the car inspected by a mechanic to collect more info. Especially want to know whether there is any leaking under engine or transmission.

Any advice and suggestion are very welcome and really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Howard
Most of those codes would probably not come back after a reset.. probably already fixed.. as for reverse needing a little more, I noticed the same thing with mine.. must be the way they are designed..
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
Did you get an estimate for all the repairs after your inspections??? It does not sound like it can all be fixed for $2000
Old 01-13-2012, 07:04 AM

Thumbs up

damn man, i guess congrats, but its gonna be a long painful road to get this thing sorted.
Originally Posted by S600Keith
Howard,
Well, since you are going into this with both eyes wide open it is safe to say that you are getting what you bargained for.
ETA: We WILL be expecting pictures forthwith.
Originally Posted by Fraser
Oh brother...I hope for your sake this thing doesn't get any worse. If anything the dealer calling back suggests they're desperate to offload this thing. Personally I wouldn't have paid $10k for it.

I have to admire your enthusiasm, optimism and willing to listen though!
Originally Posted by Becks Imports
I wish you the best of luck with it. If you need help with parts sourcing or anything, let me know. I do a lot of work on the 600-series cars.
Bruce
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Congrats man! I don't think it will be that bad..
Most of those codes would probably not come back after a reset.. probably already fixed.. as for reverse needing a little more, I noticed the same thing with mine.. must be the way they are designed..
Originally Posted by tusabes
Did you get an estimate for all the repairs after your inspections??? It does not sound like it can all be fixed for $2000
, Thanks all.

I'm ready to pickup the car.

As mentioned I will provide more details about this car later.

Sure, Keith, Will post pics very soon.

Yes, Cmpcpro, when you drive the car you won't feel anything wrong. Even the MB mechanic said the it drives like new. But you'll be surprised to see all those codes stored when Star connected.
Yes, most of the codes are accumulated for years. And most of them can be cleared without coming back.

Yes, Tusabes, MB quote for $4000, rust not included. I believe I can handle them much less than $2000. I think with the $4k off the original price I can restore her back to a very good condition. Plus new tires, even with another set of winter tires. BTW, it snows again.

The only thing I can't handle is the rust. It could be costly. Anyway I'll take her to the MB bodyshop today to see what the solution is.
Anyway, it is my toy now and I will take care of her.
And I don't think this would become the first thing in my life to let me down.

Have a wonderful day, everyone !

Howard
Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats man! I just bought my 06 with 91k a few weeks ago knowing how much these cars can cost to maintain but every time you punch the go pedal all those worries go away. You now have a twin turbo V-12. I have dreamed of owning a V-12 since I was a little kid looking at pics of Lamborghini Countach's.

I also look at it as how lucky we are to own a V-12 powered car that runs 12.8 second 1/4 miles while getting your butt warmed and massaged.

My only concern with owning this car is where do I go from here? Can it get better?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BryanW203
Congrats man! I just bought my 06 with 91k a few weeks ago knowing how much these cars can cost to maintain but every time you punch the go pedal all those worries go away. You now have a twin turbo V-12. I have dreamed of owning a V-12 since I was a little kid looking at pics of Lamborghini Countach's.

I also look at it as how lucky we are to own a V-12 powered car that runs 12.8 second 1/4 miles while getting your butt warmed and massaged.

My only concern with owning this car is where do I go from here? Can it get better?
Sounds nice! I'd love to get a twin turbo S600 but I am a little afraid of some of the big things that can go wrong and cost thousands.. I would love to drive one for a little while though, I normally like V8's and not much of a V12 fan, but thats just because I have only driven Ford's workhorse V12, and other junk V12's.. never a newer performance one.. As for getting better, it can always get better.. A new S class etc..

Call me an optimist but I just don't see that much wrong with OP's new purchase.. it sounds like a normal W220...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

There's nothing wrong with it, it can (and hopefully will) turn out to be a great car.

But buying an M275 motor car is about mitigating risk, due to the very high potential repair costs. For example, when people come to me with $35K to get them a V12 twin-turbo Benz, if that is their max budget, I advise them (strongly) to spend $30K on the car and $5K on a warranty. That tends to make for a MUCH better ownership experience, because you've hedged your bet. The car could turn out to be reliable, or the repair costs very reasonable. But with these cars, the odds are against it, especially long-term.

He saw the car had a bunch of issues, including rust, up front so we were cautioning him not to plow forward 'hoping for the best'. Because it could turn out to be a financial sinkhole. We all hope not, but no one on these boards wants to see someone make an expensive preventable mistake.

Bruce
Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Sounds nice! I'd love to get a twin turbo S600 but I am a little afraid of some of the big things that can go wrong and cost thousands.. I would love to drive one for a little while though, I normally like V8's and not much of a V12 fan, but thats just because I have only driven Ford's workhorse V12, and other junk V12's.. never a newer performance one.. As for getting better, it can always get better.. A new S class etc..

Call me an optimist but I just don't see that much wrong with OP's new purchase.. it sounds like a normal W220...
not my w220. It has no codes or rust whatsoever.

Ford has not built a V12 since 1948. I'm assuming you're referring to the modular 6.8L Triton V120 in the pick ups, which is completely different.

The only other V12 in Ford's extended family (previously of course) was the aston martin v12, and I'm not sure you could call that a workhorse motor.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 PM

not my w220. It has no codes or rust whatsoever.

Ford has not built a V12 since 1948. I'm assuming you're referring to the modular 6.8L Triton V120 in the pick ups, which is completely different.

The only other V12 in Ford's extended family (previously of course) was the aston martin v12, and I'm not sure you could call that a workhorse motor.
Your right, it was in a truck..
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 PM

2000 mercedes benz s430
Sure does w221
Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by BryanW203
Congrats man! I just bought my 06 with 91k a few weeks ago
, Congrats to you too, Bryan.
2006 will be the best to own which has all the electric and mechanic problems sorted out.

If my S600 works well then I sure will stick with MB in the future.

Thanks.

Howard

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My first S-Class: Deposit paid to secure a 2003 S600.