S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Done with Airmatic,Hello Arnott

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
Done with Airmatic,Hello Arnott

I have just purchased the Conversion Kit for the airmatic suspension on my 2000 S500.When I purchased the car,there were problems with the right side so I had that changed.Everything cost me roughly $2500,lasted about a year and a half and now the left side went( I am refering to front)was told it would be another $2500 along with lower control arms. I don't have a bottomless pocket so I decided to go this way. I understand it is not stock which a lot of Benz enthusiasts prefer but hopefully it will be as good as advertised. I bought the car at a respectable price ($5000) so I knew from the get go that this was a project car for me. I am in for a total of about $10,000 but am happy knowing at the end of the day I can consider myself part of the Mercedes family
Old 01-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
What kind of S500 did you buy for 5k? How many miles? What kind of condition was it in?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM

2000 S500
As I stated, it is a 2000 S500. I bought it from a woman whose husband passed away and she did not want the car anymore. I knew the both of them through a country club that I work for. The car had 95,000 miles on it and I bought it as is. Aside from the airmatic problems, I have changed the crankshaft sensor,radiator,put new rotors all around and pads of course.incidentally, I changes the radiator because I broke it trying to install a new clutch motor,new tires and I will probably have to change the tranny at some point. The body is in excellent condition no rust,no dents and a ver shiny smooth black paint job. There are two spots on the passenger side at the top of the window frame that are cracking but other than that looks great. I did say it was a project car
Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM

Sounds great to me, just curious though, why do you say you may need a tranny? The reason I ask is I basically have the same car and miles and my trans is doing something a little strange that I haven't been able to figure out.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Sounds great to me, just curious though, why do you say you may need a tranny? The reason I ask is I basically have the same car and miles and my trans is doing something a little strange that I haven't been able to figure out.
What is your tranny doing?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by xlr8tin
What is your tranny doing?
More so when it's cold, but when I am coming to a stop it downshifts a little too early and like sucks the car back. I tried to mess with the adaptaion and can almost get it to go away completely.. but it happens when it's cold and I notice more when I am going down hill.. When hooked up to Star the adaptation numbers are a little too high, even after reset.. so I am thinking a speed sensor or something in the tranny. Have replaced fluid, filter, plug, gasket, etc..
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmm..have you had a shop or someone look at it? Are you talking about "cold" as in the temp outside or the trans being cold? or both...

Mine likes to hesitate. I took it to a shop in town and they said it's something to do with the torque converter. Hope it's not the case for you, but I also changed fluid and filter hoping it would help. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM

What do you mean yours hesitates? I have kind of wondered if my torque converter could be the culprit..
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM

2000 S500
tranny

First off when I make a soft turn while in motion and take my foot off the gas slightly and than apply pressure,the car jumps. Also when I steadily increase the mph, around 30 mph I get a lag from the tranny and I am also feeling a small vibration that I was told could be the torque converter. All things point to tranny. Very expensive situation but I must keep on keepin on. I guess rebuilt is the wayto go. I don't see an alternative unless somebody has other feedback. Thanks in advance
Old 02-03-2012, 05:47 PM

2003 Mercedes-Benz S500, 2002 Acura MDX Touring
How's the arnott?

Originally Posted by regalchef
I have just purchased the Conversion Kit for the airmatic suspension on my 2000 S500.When I purchased the car,there were problems with the right side so I had that changed.Everything cost me roughly $2500,lasted about a year and a half and now the left side went( I am refering to front)was told it would be another $2500 along with lower control arms. I don't have a bottomless pocket so I decided to go this way. I understand it is not stock which a lot of Benz enthusiasts prefer but hopefully it will be as good as advertised. I bought the car at a respectable price ($5000) so I knew from the get go that this was a project car for me. I am in for a total of about $10,000 but am happy knowing at the end of the day I can consider myself part of the Mercedes family
Hi you forgot to mention how the arnott rides..... Are they as smooth ?? I know you Can't raise the car but who cares ??? Tell me how they feel and how much they came up to??
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM

2003 Jaguar XJR, 2000 S500
Exclamation Airnott Ride

Ive done the conversion kit and have been riding on it since July. It rides beautifully. Super soft, feels like your riding on a cloud. Only downside its a little to low like it would be great if it was raised 2 inches. My bumper often rubs upon exiting my driveway, its on a slight incline.

The installation is fairly easy, im 18 and have done it my self. No impact tools used either, as a note. in arnotts tutorial for the rear it talked about removing alot, just drop the arm, and sway link, and disconnect the brake line and it slides out. you just have to bleed the system after.

kit costs about 1650$, test out your old system and list on ebay if some is still good. you will end up with some money back. in total i paid 450 for the system i sold everything and it all worked. my car had an electrical problem in the front lighting harness. I fixed it by removing something which made me regret the purchase but then i felt reset assumed because it was a god purchase.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM

2000 S500
conversion ride

I have had my conversion kit in for about 3 weeks now. I am very impressed with the ride.I will not kid myself that it rides like airmatic but there is a certain airiness to it. On open highway,the car takes to the road like you are driving on a cloud and when I am locally driving I can feel the road underneath me, hence the difference between the two. As for the way the car sits, I think it sits more like a stock mercedes in that there is a bit of an angle from back to front, the back being a bit higher. In my opinion, with the airmatic the car sat more level. The overall distance between the tire and fender is about 2 inches both front and back. I talked to my mechanic and he said it was still possible to put a bigger rim and a low profile tire on the car although he said I would have to recalibrate something in the computer to allow for the difference. I have stock 16" on now but am shopping around. My cost was $1660 including $200 core charge and $60 for UPS delivery. Overall I am very satisfied and the best part is when I go out my front door in the morning and look at my car she looks the same as when I got out of her last. Will take some pics soon for everyone to see
Old 02-08-2012, 04:02 PM

Great to hear all this. !!! But I think I'm a bit confused with the arnott Vs the strutmaster conversion kit. You mean the strutmaster conversion kit ..... Right???? Don't they come for like a $1000??? Why pay 1660?? Arnott are still air suspensions but refurbished!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong !!! Currently I have limited access to Internet.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 PM

2000 S500
conversion kit

Arnott Inc. is a company like strutmasters. With the arnott conversion kit, it is called a new coilspring conversion kit in that it exchanges airshocks for Bilstein Monotube Shock Absorbers, engineered to ride like air suspension. The kit provides you with Two front and two rear shock absorbers along with what they call a spoof module that takes care of the dashboard warning light for stop car to low. The cost is $1395 plus $200 core charge and $60 for delivery. Arnott also sells Front air suspension shocks for$915 a pair and Rear ones as well for $915 plus $100 core charge on both. You can also get Remanufactured Airmatic air suspension shocks for $399 a piece plus $100 core charge.I am completely satisfied with arnott and do not know about Strutmasters reputation. I know alot of people have good things to say about arnott and they are gauranteed for life. Hope this helps
Old 02-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by regalchef
Arnott Inc. is a company like strutmasters. With the arnott conversion kit, it is called a new coilspring conversion kit in that it exchanges airshocks for Bilstein Monotube Shock Absorbers, engineered to ride like air suspension. The kit provides you with Two front and two rear shock absorbers along with what they call a spoof module that takes care of the dashboard warning light for stop car to low. The cost is $1395 plus $200 core charge and $60 for delivery. Arnott also sells Front air suspension shocks for$915 a pair and Rear ones as well for $915 plus $100 core charge on both. You can also get Remanufactured Airmatic air suspension shocks for $399 a piece plus $100 core charge.I am completely satisfied with arnott and do not know about Strutmasters reputation. I know alot of people have good things to say about arnott and they are gauranteed for life. Hope this helps
Thank you Regalchef! That definitely helps a lot !!! And Thanx for taking the time to provide all this info. I really appreciate it. I will look Into the same if required. Atleasr now I know what is bes for me. Arnott it is !!!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 492 Likes on 435 Posts
Mercedes
Strutmasters is garbage , lots of complaints in this forum.

Regalchef how much was installation?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:02 AM

2000 S500
conversion cost

I live on Long Island. Labor was $450
Old 02-18-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
What do you mean yours hesitates? I have kind of wondered if my torque converter could be the culprit..
Well, it used to but once torque converter was replaced it's fine now. But at a constant speed, say in between gears it would vibrate loudly like a drone noise, and if left on the peddle at that speed it would start to hesitate. But once I hit the gas more it would shift and continue to work normally...

When the TC was out, the old one was blue from the heat. Definately a bad TC