S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Ran out of gas....and now benz is acting up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran out of gas....and now benz is acting up

Rule of thumb.....never let wife borrow the benz.

I get a phone call yesterday from my wife, that the car is acting up and is vibrating when driving. The check engine lights came on. She parks the car in a neighborhood and calls me up.

"Hey honey can you come by ...something is wrong with the car"

Naturally, I am worried so I drive my other car to her. Got to the benz, started it and the car indeed is shaking. Saw that there was no gas. Went back home, got an empty gas tank, filled it with gas and went back to the benz. Put the gas in.....started it again and still shaking. Now I am worried....on what to do.
I decided to drive the car to the gas station and fill it completely. Car still shakes but not as bad as before... still has the engine light. Checked oil level --normal

Call mercedes dealership for emergency service.....my service advisor is crap and never returned my call after leaving him 3 messages.

Not much to be said about mercedes service....kind of dissappointed. I do not have these service problems with my lexus dealer.

In a nut shell, the car is parked ...not sure what is up with it cause I cant seem to get an appointment to get it checked out. Can anyone in the forum shed any light?

Last edited by DrewSclass; 06-25-2003 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
You still have air in your lines. Your wife must have run it down REAL low. Start the car and drive it around. You may need to get on a street or freeway where you can get some speed and rpm's. You should be able to purge the air in the fule lines within half a mile. The check engine light may take a while (A couple of days sometimes) to go off. If it does not, you will need to have the dealer reset the light via their DAS laptop to clear the trouble code.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:28 PM

01, Blk/Blk S500
I would put one of those fuel system cleaners "bottle" into the gas tank, fill up the tank and rev up to 4 or 5 thousand rpm in neutral that should burn up any particles that got sucked into the system when running on empty.

I did this with a friend’s car once.

This is my advice and I am in no way a mechanic (my disclaimer).

Nick--
Old 06-24-2003, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
It has happened to me a few times...Im notorious for running out of gas....undo the negative terminal on the battery for 2 mins and you will have a new car again
Old 06-24-2003, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
Re: Ran out of gas....and now benz is acting up

Originally posted by DrewSclass

Call mercedes dealership for emergency service.....my service advisor is crap and never returned my call after leaving him 3 messages.

Not much to be said about mercedes service....kind of dissappointed. I do not have these service problems with my lexus dealer.

i thought roadside was suppose to be good?
Old 06-25-2003, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I told my wife never let her see the low fuel light come on or she'd never drive again. Always top it up when it reaches 1/4 tank. BTW, it's a heavy beast to push.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:22 AM

Thanks guy for all the feedback. I took my GS430 to work today so the benz is still parked in the driveway.

I will attempt to disconnect the negative terminal and than reconnect it. I will take it for a 30 mins. drive when I return from work today to flush out any air that might of build up.

I installed an aftermarket intake on my lexus GS and had to disconnect the negative terminal so the car reset its ECU. I think it remaps the air flow and makes the necessary adjustments by doing this. Not sure if its the same deal with the benz...but worth a try
Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Lexus GS 430. Nice. Could be a fuel filter. Replace it if nothing else works. Same thing happened to my 7.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:34 AM

I did what "awiner" and "E55JAY" suggested and it worked like a charm.

Thanks guys you saved me a trip to my benz dealer. No more check engine light after disconnecting the negative terminal and driving around a bit.

I did notice that my passenger side view mirror does not automatically go down when in reverse anymore.

Also, when starting the car.....my left passenger window always rolled down by itself. Now after the reset on the battery that problem is resolved.

I fixed one thing but broke another....
Old 06-26-2003, 11:23 AM

01, Blk/Blk S500
Drew,

In order for the side view mirror to go down automatically when in reverse: make sure you have the "left mirrior button pushed/selected" on the control pannel.

Nick--
Old 06-26-2003, 11:58 AM

Ahh, that would be why that feature doesnt work.
I think my wife was messing around with it and pressed the wrong button and probably deactivated it.

As you see I know nothing about my benz....too many gizmos.

Can you imagine if I got the BMW 7 series with the I drive?
Old 06-26-2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by DrewSclass
Ahh, that would be why that feature doesnt work.
I think my wife was messing around with it and pressed the wrong button and probably deactivated it.

As you see I know nothing about my benz....too many gizmos.

Can you imagine if I got the BMW 7 series with the I drive?
Supposivly Command is more difficult to learn then I drive....... or is the other way around?

*meh*
Old 06-26-2003, 10:13 PM

C'mon guys...
If you work hard/smart enough to be able to drive a car only 0.5% of the US population can afford to drive, you should be able to learn COMAND. Even if its 10X more difficult then it is now, it shouldn't be a big deal compared to making the 100,000 to buy the car!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by apricotscrub
C'mon guys...
If you work hard/smart enough to be able to drive a car only 0.5% of the US population can afford to drive, you should be able to learn COMAND. Even if its 10X more difficult then it is now, it shouldn't be a big deal compared to making the 100,000 to buy the car!
Not everyone cares about learning it or wishes to learn something that is old. The three year old Honda navigation is easier, quicker, and cooler, so why take the time to learn this ****?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:15 AM

Porsche Carrera 2008
Originally posted by Nick
Drew,

In order for the side view mirror to go down automatically when in reverse: make sure you have the "left mirrior button pushed/selected" on the control pannel.

Nick--
You may have lost the memory setting when you undid the battery.

Place the car in "R" position, set he mirror as you require. This should reinstate the setting.

Last edited by mercsd; 06-27-2003 at 08:34 AM.