S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Need your idea: A scoop of aluminium flake out of the transmission filter.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cmpcpro
With the 5spd Auto S is Standard and W is Winter. Also 5spd tranny, despite popular belief on this and other MB boards does not have software updates. This can be confirmed by calling any dealer. There are no software updates for the 5spd trans. The only issue I have with my transmission is coming to a stop it downshifts too early and you feel it.. not smooth. I have been able to almost completely get rid of it by re-learning the transmission with the long procedure, teaching it with the tip-tronic-ish part of the tranny. Now it only does it while the car is cold, and it's not nearly as noticeable.. From what I have seen, it's a very common issue with these trannys, and alot of people have come to describe it as a "feature" to help slow the car down..
Sure, Chris.

Let me knock the trany out and teach it as you did.
I don't really like the feature but I can live with it.

Thanks again.

Howard
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
With the 5spd Auto S is Standard and W is Winter. Also 5spd tranny, despite popular belief on this and other MB boards does not have software updates. This can be confirmed by calling any dealer. There are no software updates for the 5spd trans. The only issue I have with my transmission is coming to a stop it downshifts too early and you feel it.. not smooth. I have been able to almost completely get rid of it by re-learning the transmission with the long procedure, teaching it with the tip-tronic-ish part of the tranny. Now it only does it while the car is cold, and it's not nearly as noticeable.. From what I have seen, it's a very common issue with these trannys, and alot of people have come to describe it as a "feature" to help slow the car down..
Not so. 722.6 transmissions up until about August 2002 had a non flashable TCU. Post this they were flashable with updates & had S & C. Few updates however because it is a mature transmission.

Clonky changes down to first were fixed. If the transmission has the latest - now old software then resetting all adaptions is a good idea. Dealers are lazy.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Not so. 722.6 transmissions up until about August 2002 had a non flashable TCU. Post this they were flashable with updates & had S & C. Few updates however because it is a mature transmission.

Clonky changes down to first were fixed. If the transmission has the latest - now old software then resetting all adaptions is a good idea. Dealers are lazy.
Thanks Glyn.

Yes, mine is 2003 so I have S & C for Sport and Comfort Program Mode.
I forgot to ask the dealer to reset the trany. But I did it by using the key on - engine off - WOT then wait 2 mins method.
Will see any changes.

But according to other 5 spd owners what I'm experiencing is normal called Benz feeling, .

Best regards.

Howard
Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
Howard... 'normal' if all else proves out 8-)

could be an issue, but in your case / after your recce - it's prob normal

my manual downshifts were occassionally clunky - hoping Eurocharged TCU flash remedies

finding out in a few hours, I'm giddy with anticipation 8-)