S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

having S430 transmission problem advice wanted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S55
having S430 transmission problem advice wanted

I have a 2002 S430 with 64,000 miles I just recently did transmission service, I changed the pass through plug terminal, pan gasket, filter, and put new fluid. Now the transmission has a shift delay from Park to Reverse from Neutral to Drive. When I shift from P straight to D it has a 15 sec delay on the cluster to show that it went from P to D and slips with I shift right away. What could this be? Transmission need rebuild? Valve body?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Originally Posted by S55rida
I have a 2002 S430 with 64,000 miles I just recently did transmission service, I changed the pass through plug terminal, pan gasket, filter, and put new fluid. Now the transmission has a shift delay from Park to Reverse from Neutral to Drive. When I shift from P straight to D it has a 15 sec delay on the cluster to show that it went from P to D and slips with I shift right away. What could this be? Transmission need rebuild? Valve body?
Never have similar issue, just poped up some idea:

When replacing the Pilot Bushing/Electric Plug, Transmission temperature should be under 45c. Otherwise there is a chance to damage the conduct plate.
Did you ever spill drink on to the shifter ?

BTW, did you have any issue before your operations ?
Don't really think there is problem in the transmission itself.

Hope it helps.

Howard
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 PM

2001 S55
Originally Posted by haoz129
Never have similar issue, just poped up some idea:

When replacing the Pilot Bushing/Electric Plug, Transmission temperature should be under 45c. Otherwise there is a chance to damage the conduct plate.
Did you ever spill drink on to the shifter ?

BTW, did you have any issue before your operations ?
Don't really think there is problem in the transmission itself.

Hope it helps.

Howard
I did not have any issues with the transmission prior to changing the fluid. I do not think anyone has changed the transmission fluid yet. It was a Grayish/Green fluid color. I never spilt any drinks on the shifter, no.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 AM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm going to shoot for the obvious, how about the trans fluid level? You did measure the fluid with the dipstick tool after all the work you did right?
Sounds almost like the trans is starving for fluid.
Good luck.
Johan
Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
I'm going to shoot for the obvious, how about the trans fluid level? You did measure the fluid with the dipstick tool after all the work you did right?
Sounds almost like the trans is starving for fluid.
Good luck.
Johan
Yes, Johan, good to check the fluid level.

And Rida,

Be sure to check the level correctly. It's seems simple but I tried few times to get it right.
Drive it at least a 30mins to warm up the transmission fluid up to 80c. Coolant 80c is not enough since it takes time to transfer the heat to transmission fluid. Then use the transmission dipstick to check by using 80c marks.
And I prefer to approach the higher end than the lower: this transmission really hate low and it has anti-form to handle overfill.

Good luck.

Howard
Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 PM

2001 S55
Originally Posted by haoz129
Yes, Johan, good to check the fluid level.

And Rida,

Be sure to check the level correctly. It's seems simple but I tried few times to get it right.
Drive it at least a 30mins to warm up the transmission fluid up to 80c. Coolant 80c is not enough since it takes time to transfer the heat to transmission fluid. Then use the transmission dipstick to check by using 80c marks.
And I prefer to approach the higher end than the lower: this transmission really hate low and it has anti-form to handle overfill.

Good luck.

Howard
I checked the fluid level today and it is perfect. Full to the level it should be, I drove it for an hour then checked it. It is very weird how the indicator takes so much time to change from P to R P to D right away. I am amazed at this mystery what else could it be?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by S55rida
I checked the fluid level today and it is perfect. Full to the level it should be, I drove it for an hour then checked it. It is very weird how the indicator takes so much time to change from P to R P to D right away. I am amazed at this mystery what else could it be?
Rida,

As I mentioned at begining: When replacing the Pilot Bushing/Electric Plug, Transmission temperature should be under 45c. Otherwise there is a chance to damage the conduct plate.
Did you wait for the trany to cool down then changed the Plug ?

Another thing to check, was your plug leaking? If so you may want to check the Transmission Control Module which is in the right SAM box. If the circuit board is in oil you may want to clean it up. You could ref my post for the clean up: https://mbworld.org/forums/5050356-post38.html

Other than guess, you may want to hook it up to the computer to see any code there.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 03-01-2012, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
Question was the transmission working fine beforw you did this??