S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2012 | 02:20 PM

S500
I purchased battery's for my Key Fob at the Dealership $21.50 US for two.
At Safeway for the same battery $5.01 US for two.

WTF. I purchased the first set at the Dealership because I like being in the Dealership it blows up my ego. However $15 markup gave my ego all the inflation it will need.
Old 09-11-2012 | 05:55 PM

1956 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday, 2006 AMG S55, 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
Well, have news for you. I too came from BMW to MB, and while I do love my car, I will go back to BMW on the next one and not leave. They are much better to their customers, and their customers know a lot more about their cars. I think MB people are more apt to have the dealer do the work, where most BMW owners are car enthusiasts and do a lot themselves. Now before someone rags on me, there is obviously people of both types who own both brands, but that is my take on the majority. I do notice that MB loves to stick it to you, where BMW seems to realize you are their customer and they would like to keep you.
Old 09-12-2012 | 11:03 PM

S500
Originally Posted by cmpcpro
Well, have news for you. I too came from BMW to MB, and while I do love my car, I will go back to BMW on the next one and not leave. They are much better to their customers, and their customers know a lot more about their cars. I think MB people are more apt to have the dealer do the work, where most BMW owners are car enthusiasts and do a lot themselves. Now before someone rags on me, there is obviously people of both types who own both brands, but that is my take on the majority. I do notice that MB loves to stick it to you, where BMW seems to realize you are their customer and they would like to keep you.
Thanks for responding. I am hesitant to blast my new MB family. I will give my perspective on the MB vs Bimmer. First I will say I had the 2003 330Ci Convertible, a smaller but still very sexy and powerful chariot. I loved the car and it served its purpose of getting me to the golf course in style, nothing like having the power to get through traffic in style with the wind blowing through.. well you get the picture.
The difference driving this much larger S500 is startling, the people actually turning their heads are a little older and a little more powerful. CEOs, CFOs and Bimbo's as well. The car is powerful and the ride is smooth, sometimes too smooth, I enjoyed the feedback that the Bimmer provided but I am more about image than performance. I just wish it was a full convertible so I can see the people I am leaving in the dust as I jam the pedal through the floorboard.

The difference I see among the owners is that on the Bimmer forums I could find detailed DIYs for every conceivable action needed to work on the car, and I mean d.e.t.a.i.l.e.d. Pictures with step by step comments and responses from hundreds of users who have attempted, failed and succeeded in said DIY action. I was able to go from a complete novice to almost rebuilding the entire engine from the support of Bimmerfest and other forums, a random example of the kind of detail I am writing about click the link below.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=414455

I will say maybe because I am in the Big Sedan MONEY crowd most of these MBs can afford to do their own work, or they are too busy earning mo money. I can't say. But I haven't found the great information that I need to do some very common things. For example everyone talks about the SRS problems. This is a very important topic and a SAFETY issue so there should be PICs of what to do and what not to do and an effort to get the Benz leadership to make some options that would satisfy the majority of the hardcore MBs.

I will do my best to post pics of what I am doing and to let others know where they can find information but I expect more from the leading car drivers, makers and promoters. That said. I just received my SRS emulator from China and I have to do some adjustments with the solder to get it to work. I will take pics when I get to this step. Miss my Bimmer and Love my Benzy.
Old 10-18-2012 | 12:38 PM

S430
Haven't heard from you in awhile. How about an update with any new pics