S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.

I want to buy my friends 2000 S500. It has 170K miles, passenger door window and seat position doesn't work, electronic trunk out, SRS light is on (child mat sensor replacement - $33 part? I can do this myself), ABS light is on.

I have to replace the cup holder area. The steering wheels electronic buttons do not work except for the Volume control.

I live in Vienna VA and want to take it to a MB mechanic for a full check, my concern Tranny, brakes, struts and any issues related to this big, beautiful beast.

Any suggestions. I am excited about joining the MB family I am a former Bimmer which I loved but it was crushed in accident now I am going with S500 by the way it has AMG upgrades can anyone tell me what that entails and any other issues I should check and what you think the car is worth.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500 4 matic
Check the suspension please check the suspension. If it was not replaced you will be the lucky one to fork over 3 grand to do it. Unless you do labor yourself. You will save another 6-700 dollars. Check the suspensin forest or better yet run forest run.!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM

Facelift GLC43
The AMG/sport package has a different bumper/skirt, exhaust tip and amg rims if i'm correct. Basically it's slightly different than a regular s500 aesthetically wise, but it's nothing near a real amg-built car that has a hand-made engine, etc.

How much are you paying?
Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 AM

S500
Thanks to both of you DNA47 and Tuscan1311

I am paying $3 grand and will post pix soon. If the suspension goes :-(.

However it is a beautiful car the insides will need some help and I can do most of the work myself from the great DIYs posted here.
It looks similar to your pix DNA47.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:58 AM

Facelift GLC43
You're getting a great car for the price tag of a civic. But beware, there's is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes! And keep in mind that even if it's a 12 y/o car, the maintenance cost will be one of a 80/90 grand car.
Did your friend use premium fuel only?synthetic oil? Did his A and B service in time? etc.
But if you're unlucky and your suspension ever go wrong, you could use a conversion system to convert them to 'normal' suspension.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 AM

S500
2000 S500 Maintenance Project

Thanks DNA47,

I bought the Faux AMG and am excited but have a lot of work ahead to get it into top working condition. I am posting the MB and Indy's Mechanics Pre-Purchase Maintenance/performance check.
I am in Vienna VA Mercedes are as ubiquitous as Civics.

I will search for each issue but if anyone can tell me where to get parts and help with collecting DIYs I would appreciate it.

MB Mechanic
Issue $ in US dollars (includes labor)
Left Mirror Cover Motor and Mirror Glass $1,500
Right Front window Motor is Inoperatable $650
PSE Pump is inoperatable (controls Trunk and door Locks) $1,200
Left valve Cover Gasket is leaking oil $300
Rear Main seal is leaking oil $2000 (part is $50 labor is 5 - 6 hours)
Rear Brake Pads are worn $275
Front Brake Pads are worn $200
Front Thrust arm bushings are worn $900
Right front seat occupancy sensor is bad $800

Indy Mech
Passenger Side Door (Font control module)
SRS Light is on (possible Child Seat Mat)
ABS light is on

My wish list on a very limited budget.

New Comand or Audio system that will allow for auxillary play from Ipod/MP3s.
Leather needs reconditioning so either replace front center arm rest.
Steering wheel controls are not working except for Volume control (mechanic said it could be something as simple as a loose switch)

I don't believe premium fuel has been used as $$ has been a issue for the past several years.
Same with A and B service.
The transmission is in good condition but without a thorough check how does a mechanic know this. (fluid smell visual?)
The tires are in good condition half life.

Since my commute is 8 minutes I do not expect too many miles and I can go without the car should I can't get something fixed overnight.
The car spent some time overseas so I am not sure what occurred.

I have been driving the car for the past two weeks and it has the problems listed but it still is a joy to drive.
It is amazing the impact a big sedan has even in this jaded area.

Last edited by majorpeace; 08-26-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM

S500 4 matic
Just from what you listed from mb mechanic it looks atleast 10 k just to fix those issues. Indy mechanic would be less but still is alot to get it running right. But since you already have it enjoy while you fix it up. When you need to replace the struts go to carid.com to get them. Lowest price arnott with lifetime gaurantee. Put up pic of ride. Good luck with fix up.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM

Facelift GLC43
To be honest with you, i'd be scared of a car that has all those issues. To me, it wasn't well maintained. But if your willing to put money and time, you'll end up with a great car. Enjoy your ride!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Buying a car with these issues, regardless of cost is frankly idiotic. Sorry, but someone had to say it. The '00-'02s are timebombs as it is without picking one up with all these issues from the get go!

W220s are so cheap and plentiful nowadays that you might as well get a newer, cleaner one.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 PM

S500 4 matic
Yes I totally agree. I just did not want to rain on his parade. he already purchased the car so the damage is done.now the work begins.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 PM

S500
Wow,

I just finished driving around DC and the beltway. Pure Joy.

time to fix a few of the issues. I will document the effort with pixs and writeups.
Fraser. I understand someone had to say but did it have to be you. I was hoping for pre purchase advice after purchase advice is like putting on the condom at the birthday party.
Strange.

Anyway it takes time to respond and I appreciate you doing that. Now help me make this baby a source of pride for all of the MB owners.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM

S500
Sunday 8/26

First Cleaning and DIY review process.

Cleaned the car's interior upholstery - Tuff Stuff
Leather Areas - Gold Class and Blue Magic Leather and Vinyl cleaner (which I like) Ijust hope the car likes it.
I cleaned the trunk, removed the wheel. (Missing some tools, and fuse grabber and fuses)
Nice spare tire is there. Good condition I believe 225.
CD Changer in trunk, Bose Amplifier is in trunk but not connected to anything. (will have to fix that)

New things I found and was very impressed. Ligthers in the rear passenger doors, I don't smoke but that is a nice classy touch.
Hidden compartments through the car for little things. I always like hidden compartments very James Bondish.

Decided to tackle the door and power windows issue first.
First I checked the fuse diagram posted on another thread. Great post but it would be great if the Amp was listed as this car came without the listing and I don't know which size fuse is original.
Found that Fuse 39 was burnt. Replaced it and voila - Passenger window works, passenger seat moves quite nicely. So there is $2,000 off my list of corrections right there.

Also as I was cleaning the steering wheel the remaining control buttons began functioning.
It is amazing what a little TLC can do.

Problem -- After installing the new fuse the lights on the rear view mirror turn on rather than the cieling lights that previously turned on when I press a certain button. I know that a fuse can not reroute a light however I must have reset something or press a new combination of light choices because I can not get the lights to turn on.

Fuse issue #2 - It seams I am missing a Fuse holder for slot 62 - Remote Trunk Release.
I will purchase that and install the fuse and see what happens.

My next task is to fix the SRS light issue. The child mat sensor is not functioning rather than spend the unnecessary $$$ to replace the OEM part, I will follow the DIY on replacing with an emulator or fix the diode and resistor myself. Can someone point out where the sensor is located, I believe I may have to remove the passenger seat but if I can avoid that it would be great.

I added pictures. These are the before pictures. I will work the detail process to remove swirls and scratches and bring back a mirror like finish. Any suggestions on the products. I have BONAIRE polisher/buffer and I need to buy a mild abrasive and other products to make it gleam like the moon.
Attached Thumbnails NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-front-beauty-shot.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-driver-side-beauty-3.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-passenger-beauty-shot.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-passenger-inside-.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-rear-seat-driver-.jpg  

NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-under-hood-1.jpg  

Last edited by majorpeace; 08-28-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 08-28-2012, 04:59 PM

S500
Added Pictures

I am providing a few more pictures. Wheels, sunroof. New to me stuff.

Can any point me to a technical manual that I can purchase for the S500 2000.

I need to do some electrical and engine work and need detailed instructions and what not to do.

My first is the SRS Mat Sensor repair/replace.
Attached Thumbnails NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-emblem-grill.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-steering-wheel.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-backright.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-sunroof.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-img00076.jpg  

NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-img00054.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM

BMW 525i
I was going to say RUN but it appears you have already bought it. My only advice to you is to fix the car ONE THING AT A TIME. If you try to attack the whole car at once, you will get overwhelmed. Overwhelmed is synonymous with expensive in MB terms. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM

S500
Originally Posted by dirtye30
I was going to say RUN but it appears you have already bought it. My only advice to you is to fix the car ONE THING AT A TIME. If you try to attack the whole car at once, you will get overwhelmed. Overwhelmed is synonymous with expensive in MB terms. Good luck.
Yep. I bought it before I could hear advice. Most of the challenges I can handle as I had a convertible bimmer prior to this lady. That I had spent months working on and on the last weekend as I was filming the results of my work, a 17 year old kid plowed into the back of the car and totally destroyed it, and I luckily jumped out of the way without getting injured but the car was totaled. One day I may post pictures (the horror)

However any support on this new project would be helpful.

You are sooo right, one thing at a time on the big issues. I am thinking that the valve cover change will clear up the leak that the tech thought was coming from the main seal.

I will keep everyone informed. with as much detail as I can. So this post will become over a hundred pages.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 AM

S500
Battery Change Might Be The Issue

After searching the forum I found that some of the Warning Messages such as BAS and ESP warnings and the license Plate light not working are due to the replacement of the battery that the previous owner did.

I tried the sync method of turning on the car and turning the steering wheel to the farthest left and farthest right and turn off the car.

when I turn the car back on the warning msgs return.

However something interesting I had 4 msgs and then tried the reset and then I had only 2 msgs.

Later I am back to 4 msgs. BAS, ESP, License Plate and (I forgot to write it down so I will get it tomorrow).

I am missing the Fuse 62 holder from the fuse box. The MB rep said it can not be purchased individually. (only the first 47 or 48 fuse holders can be purchased individually). I am not talking about the fuse but the plastic piece that holds the fuse to the fuse box. I don't know where that holder is and I will double check to make sure I am looking at the right slot. I attached an image of the rear fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-rear_seat_fuse_box.jpg  

Last edited by majorpeace; 08-29-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM

S500
Battery Died - And a Beautiful Carwash Doh

I was working a tracking each of my fuses and I left the lights on at the end of the session. The next morning dead battery.

I read the forums and was terrified of jumping the car with the battery still in the car. But I did because I had few options, had to leave for work and the person giving me the jump was also in a hurry.

It took about 15 minutes to get juiced and then no problems.

Well at first some strange things did occur. My hazard lights come on intermittently without me touching anything other than the steering wheel.

The car stalled once a light and there seems to be a sticking in the gas pedal or brake pedal I can't quite get my foot on it, but something seams different.

Later that night I goolged How to wash your car and I was shocked by the amount of information and the processes some go to clean their car, and now I am one of those guys.

I will post the link when I get home of the process and youtube vidoes that I used. Basically it comes down to
Only hand wash the car. Use several different sponges/cloths for the top and sides of car and a different set of brushes and towels and buckets for the wheels.
Do not wash in a circular motion and much more.
The car looks better but I have to claybar and cut paint detailing this weekend and then I will take the after picture.

Where can I purchase fuse blocks for this car!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM

2002 S430 Sport Pkg
Why dont you try car-parts.com for used parts!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:07 PM

S500
Car-Part.com my new home

Originally Posted by 2k2s430
Why dont you try car-parts.com for used parts!
Thanks 2k2s430 I will try it.

By the way. I was changing my brake light switch and there are 2 electrical inputs that go into the switch. Each input has 3 slots for wires. The B input has only 2 wires instead of the 3 that the A input has. Can any one tell me if this is okay. I think this may be the culprit to my ABS warning indicator.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:57 AM

2003 S500, 03 C240, 03 E320, 03 tahoe
looks like a beautiful benz to me!

im glad someone like yourself has bought this car and has the enthusiasm and "can do" attitude to make the car your pride and joy. you arent scared by the issues, simply challenged!. you can believe that in 2000 someone bought/leased this car and spent alot of cash for the MB elegance/performance/reliability. you felt that same exuberance on your first drive around the beltway and for $3k!. so cool. focus on the tlc and maintanance. fix things that create reliability issues and allow her a few "quirks" without holding them against her. dont freak every time the cluster throws a warning, get to know the car and have fun with it!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:42 PM

S500
Encouragement from a Superstar

Originally Posted by AH1W-COBRA
im glad someone like yourself has bought this car and has the enthusiasm and "can do" attitude to make the car your pride and joy. you arent scared by the issues, simply challenged!. you can believe that in 2000 someone bought/leased this car and spent alot of cash for the MB elegance/performance/reliability. you felt that same exuberance on your first drive around the beltway and for $3k!. so cool. focus on the tlc and maintanance. fix things that create reliability issues and allow her a few "quirks" without holding them against her. dont freak every time the cluster throws a warning, get to know the car and have fun with it!
You sir are a true gentleman. I am encouraged and thankful. Yes the car is now my pride and joy. I hope to make it into a vehicle that all MB owners can point to with pride. I am currently working on the SRS and ABS challenge. Both of these problems may be solved.

Question: I checked the OBDII outlet with the common Acton Diagnostic tool and it found no messages, then I pressed the erase all codes in case it would remove my error codes, it stated no more codes. The car now says no messages where it used to have 2 - 4 messages. (BAS, ESP, Service and 1 other). However do I have to take it to someone with the Star Service to get it cleared of codes.
As of
Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM

2002 S430 Sport Pkg
I agree with Cobra. If you have the ability to repair the issues yourself, more power to you. I have had mine since brand new and I still love it. I wish you good luck sir. And remember car-parts.com is your friend.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:47 PM

S500
SRS - How to Take apart the Passenger Seat.

I have the dreaded and ubiquitous SRS light. I wouldn't mind having it fixed but at $1000, I want to have the fix just as I want it.

SRS is a very important safety issue and feature. I am considering the life of my passengers. So with that said I never have children in the front seat and I place a discreet sticker saying no-children.

I am installing for the nounce a Emulator that I purchased from ecutool on the web. Please do not ask me if it works I ordered it Sunday Sep 3 by Fedex and I haven't received it yet. Coming from China/Brazil/Micronesia IDK.

I did take the front seat out of the car to test for wire continuity before purchasing the emulator as many DIY's have encouraged. Unfortunately it was beyond a wiring problem as I checked all the way through from connection to the other.

I do not know about other cars but to remove the seat and take it apart took me 7.5 hours. I was hesitant at many point thinking that I would not be able to put the seat back together as there are many different parts that need to come off. Maybe because I have a 2000 and no one has removed the seat but it was not easy, or maybe because I am doing it by myself anyway I have pictures attached.

If you are considering Removing your passenger seat do not look at others models to model find a DIY of a S500/S600/S55.

The pictures are of the Child Seat Sensor located in the Passenger Seat. I do not know how to fix that maybe someday I will learn.

The seat itself is taken apart and lies in my work/living room in several sections. I was waiting until I received the simulator but driving around without a passenger seat is somewhat odd and the emulator does not attached to the passenger seat but goes into the connection that is the last picture of the module on the floor under the passenger seat. That module controls the movement of the seat, heater, headrest and seat belt. do not damage that piece as I am sure it would be difficult to replace.
Attached Thumbnails NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-146.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-120.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-147.jpg   NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.-149.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I would have voted AGAINST buying this car, but saw this thread once you had already purchased it.

Your cheapest option is seriously to sell the car, hope to break even (or close) and buy a nice clean one for not a lot more money. If you can buy the same car in great condition for double ($6k) trust me, it's a GREAT deal compared to what you will spend on this one!

If you insist on keeping it...

-Learn how to do the easy stuff yourself, so you don't get killed in labor
-Get the easy stuff done (brake pads) yourself so you can drive the car. Then work on the harder stuff. Rear main oil seal has to be done by your indy as you likely can't do it yourself.
-Find cheap parts. Car-part and eBay are good places. Window regulators and door mirrors are reasonably cheap. Don't fix parts (mirror motor, etc.) just replace the entire assembly (find a mirror housing/assembly the same color and just swap the entire unit with yours)
-See if you can find a wrecked W220 that someone is parting out. You could probably get all kinds of parts you need and pay them $500 cash and come out ahead. You can get the window regulator, mirror, child seat sensor, etc, etc, etc. If you don't mind uninstalling/reinstalling parts yourself, this is the cheapest way.

Good luck!!! We're all here to help but realize you have bought quite a project. Decide if this is what you really want to do, then go ahead and do it.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:25 AM

S500
Originally Posted by bha
I would have voted AGAINST buying this car, but saw this thread once you had already purchased it.

Your cheapest option is seriously to sell the car, hope to break even (or close) and buy a nice clean one for not a lot more money. If you can buy the same car in great condition for double ($6k) trust me, it's a GREAT deal compared to what you will spend on this one!

If you insist on keeping it...

-Learn how to do the easy stuff yourself, so you don't get killed in labor
-Get the easy stuff done (brake pads) yourself so you can drive the car. Then work on the harder stuff. Rear main oil seal has to be done by your indy as you likely can't do it yourself.
-Find cheap parts. Car-part and eBay are good places. Window regulators and door mirrors are reasonably cheap. Don't fix parts (mirror motor, etc.) just replace the entire assembly (find a mirror housing/assembly the same color and just swap the entire unit with yours)
-See if you can find a wrecked W220 that someone is parting out. You could probably get all kinds of parts you need and pay them $500 cash and come out ahead. You can get the window regulator, mirror, child seat sensor, etc, etc, etc. If you don't mind uninstalling/reinstalling parts yourself, this is the cheapest way.

Good luck!!! We're all here to help but realize you have bought quite a project. Decide if this is what you really want to do, then go ahead and do it.
BHa Thanks for the pointers.

I guess I should have mentioned that I actually enjoy working on cars. I had a 330 bimmer that I restored. I learned a great deal about cars from that experience. It gave me a greater sense of ownership as well as confidence that I could fix cars, just like my father.

The window, and passenger seat issues were simply a missing/blown fuse and once I replaced it those issues were not longer valid.

The ABS light required that I replaced the brake light switch which took me about an hour due to the fact it was my first brake light effort. Not that difficult if you have small fingers.

The SRS has been quite an effort because I took the passenger seat out and took it apart. I now know about the seat and their complexity in the S500. I would not do that again nor recommend for anyone else.

The car runs smooth but I will change the value cover gasket over the next two weeks and go over the engine thoroughly. I will need help from everyone and anyone then. Yes the brakes/rotors and pads will be fun.

I have an indy who also wanted me to pass and will not be too pleased that I didn't listen but once I pay he will hopefully get over it.

Thanks for the offer and th advice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NooB pre-purchase S500 faux AMG check.