S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ESP BAS ABS N47-5 Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S500
ESP BAS ABS N47-5 Fix (Airmatic?)

In my Faux S500 Faux AMG I have the dreaded ABS ESP BAS warning lights.

That means I do not have the full support of Traction Control System. To be honest I haven't noticed any problems but should the weather turn nasty I would have to rely on my expert driving skills in case of a spin out. Which I do not want to rely on (I can barely drive a golf cart without going into a bunker).

After doing some research I found out that a common problem is the ESP Module and that if you have some confidence you can fix the problem and save yourself $$$. I was quoted $1,500 - $2,000 to fix this problem. $200 - $400 if you send the Module to a reman company. I plan on spending $59 for my soldering gun and some components found at a computer store or radio shack.

I have attached the picture of what I have found is a broken connector. If you look closely you can see the RED line pointing to the broken connector. I checked the remaining board and nothing else seems to be broken. This is a common problem because of the vibration these boards receive over the course of years on the road. I also included the picture where you can find the N47-5 ESP Computer Module.

I will repair or replace. I will let you know my success.
***CORRECTION***

The part that is displayed in the Pix is actually my Airmatic Controller Module. How did I make such a Mistake. Well the diagram that shows where the N47-5 ESP Contoller Module gave me the impression that the ESP Module board was on the right nearest the fuses. However it is on the Left on my vehicle big miss on my part. How did I discover the mistake. I was contemplating how to fix the broken connector and running my multimeter over several prongs when the thought came to me something isn't right, I did a search on the internet and noticed that the Serial Number did not match to the ESP component and sure enough my ESP controller is on the left. My ESP Control Module Serial Number is 024 545 07 32 The Airmatic Suspension ECU is 220 54 500 32.

Now you may be thinking well you still have a broken connection. And you are right. However I do not have a problem with my Airmatic system (so far) so this broken connector may not provide a significant signal in the whole scheme of things. I will fix that problem anyway.

Later today I will pull the ESP module and hopefully the problem will be even easier to correct such as a loose resister, rather than that broken connector on my Airmatic Module which is a little more difficult to correct without the proper tools, components and resources.

I will post the corrected pix later as well.
Attached Thumbnails ESP BAS ABS N47-5 Fix-esp-broken-connection.jpg   ESP BAS ABS N47-5 Fix-n47-5-esp-control-module-location.jpg  

Last edited by majorpeace; 10-24-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Major Correction-
The following users liked this post:
fordgallington (09-14-2022)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s55 AMG
Originally Posted by majorpeace

That means I do not have the full support of Traction Control System. To be honest I haven't noticed any problems but should the weather turn nasty I would have to rely on my expert driving skills in case of a spin out. Which I do not want to rely on (I can barely drive a golf cart without going into a bunker).

After doing some research I found out that a common problem is the ESP Module and that if you have some confidence you can fix the problem and save yourself $$$. I was quoted $1,500 - $2,000 to fix this problem. $200 - $400 if you send the Module to a reman company. I plan on spending $59 for my soldering gun and some components found at a computer store or radio shack.

I have attached the picture of what I have found is a broken connector. If you look closely you can see the RED line pointing to the broken connector. I checked the remaining board and nothing else seems to be broken. This is a common problem because of the vibration these boards receive over the course of years on the road. I also included the picture where you can find the N47-5 ESP Computer Module.

***CORRECTION***

The part that is displayed in the Pix is actually my Airmatic Controller Module. How did I make such a Mistake. Well the diagram that shows where the N47-5 ESP Contoller Module gave me the impression that the ESP Module board was on the right nearest the fuses. However it is on the Left on my vehicle big miss on my part. How did I discover the mistake. I was contemplating how to fix the broken connector and running my multimeter over several prongs when the thought came to me something isn't right, I did a search on the internet and noticed that the Serial Number did not match to the ESP component and sure enough my ESP controller is on the left. My ESP Control Module Serial Number is 024 545 07 32 The Airmatic Suspension ECU is 220 54 500 32.

Now you may be thinking well you still have a broken connection. And you are right. However I do not have a problem with my Airmatic system (so far) so this broken connector may not provide a significant signal in the whole scheme of things. I will fix that problem anyway.

Later today I will pull the ESP module and hopefully the problem will be even easier to correct such as a loose resister, rather than that broken connector on my Airmatic Module which is a little more difficult to correct without the proper tools, components and resources.

Hello could you please tell what happened after fixing your old N47-5 ESP Computer Module if it did work at the end? Also did you have to reset the steering adaption or was it just plug and play and thats it? I'm running into the same problem whereas my ABS, BAS and ESP lights are coming on frequently. Some days it won't and I had it hooked up at a shop for codes, and I forgot to write down exactly what code it was but he said it was a bad module. Anyhow thanks if you can help out in advance.
Cheers!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 PM

S500
ABS - ESP

Merc,

Sorry to not respond. I hope you were able to fix your ABS ESP module issue.

I had been working on so many other issues and since this one had not affected the quality of the driving experience I had let it go.

i will get back to it now and let you know how I solved it.

I suspect I do not have to do anything other than a reset.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:31 PM

s55 AMG
Merc,

Sorry to not respond. I hope you were able to fix your ABS ESP module issue.

I had been working on so many other issues and since this one had not affected the quality of the driving experience I had let it go.

i will get back to it now and let you know how I solved it.

I suspect I do not have to do anything other than a reset.

Good luck.
Unfortunately I didn't get it resolved , I bought a used ABS ESP module on ebay with the same numbers etc..the ABS light went away, but came back on later on, my only other solution so far is to put in a used ABS Pump unit that has the module attached to it. Mercedes dealer says they can't retrieve any codes regarding the issue with is puzzling , so I'm just going to buy a used ABS pump unit and see what happens. let me know what happens with yours...
Best of Luck......
Old 09-26-2014, 01:25 PM

2005 E320 CDI 150K miles and counting

***CORRECTION***

Just to let you know that particular component in the picture is not supposed to have a electrical contact there. It's made that way and that particular pin is not being used. FYI, didn't want you or others to make the mistake of repairing something that didn't need repaired and then doing some actual damage to the circuit board.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:31 PM

MB C270 CDI (612.962) (722.640 AT)
Originally Posted by josh8loop
Just to let you know that particular component in the picture is not supposed to have a electrical contact there. It's made that way and that particular pin is not being used. FYI, didn't want you or others to make the mistake of repairing something that didn't need repaired and then doing some actual damage to the circuit board.
I completely agree with Josh opinion, the middle pin of that black component is just like that, dont even think conecting it to the PCB via behind it. The capacitor in front of the black part, that one seems to be bad, the apparently "open" cross means the capacitor already vented gas buildup through there, so replace it.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Mercedes Benz S600
anyone have a lead on a company that would rebuild the ABS control module? Hitting this problem in my S600 2007
Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 PM

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
Broken circuit boards

Great diagnostic work. finding the cracked circuit lead. The module will probably work when you re-solder it
I have never been impressed with the MBZ electrical components and workmanship for over 20 years they were purchasing a fuel pump/over-speed relay for models 240-560 with defective solder joints. It was gonna fail, just a matter of when. They knew it was crap but still continued to buy from the Check factory. The 'integration' of the computer systems in their cars is horrible compared to U.S. and Japanese autos. Their 'international' supply system lacks fundamental quality controls. It is as if they never heard of MTBF specifications

ions
Old 09-14-2022, 01:28 PM

Mercedes
Hi. If the problem is not soldered wire, then of course it is not a problem even to re-solder it yourself.
But more often there is another problem - failure of the ABS module.
Then as an option not for 1500-2000 dollars buy a remanufactured ABS module for $ 200-740 dollars with a guarantee and replace yourself
Old 10-31-2022, 01:31 PM

2002 E 430 4MATIC - 2008 S5504Matic
https://repairlaboratory.com/repair-...dule-mercedes/