S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Let's guess the price! ABC Repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2012 | 08:10 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Question Let's guess the price! ABC Repair

Got the rather ominous "ABC Visit Workshop" flash up for the first time this morning on the drive to work. I had the car parked on quite a slope last night so I wonder if it's that throwing the system but if it shows up again on the return portion of my 2 mile commute from work I'm going to get it to the dealer ASAP. I know the longer these things are left the heftier the bill, even if my warranty company pick it up

88,000 miles or so currently on the beast. Guess away!
Old 10-30-2012 | 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
ABC can be from $300-5K+. It really depends on what went wrong. Sometime a simple flush, and rodeo works miracles, aka $300. Others require new pump and valve blocks 5K+.

Let's hope it is simple for you.
Old 10-30-2012 | 12:23 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Indeed, the warning is the most generic thing out there. Could be anything, I was listening out to hear if there were any unusual noises but it was raining hard this morning, also makes it difficult to spot anything on the driveway if it had decided to wet the bed overnight.
Old 10-30-2012 | 11:01 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Well, nothing showed up on the MFD on the drive home and it was quick to show up when I started the car this morning. Sometimes the odd phantom message shows up there (anyone else get the red 'Fuel Filler Cap Open' warning once a year or so?) but I'll be wary from now on for sure!
Old 10-31-2012 | 01:09 AM

E-Class
$2500!
Old 10-31-2012 | 01:10 AM

S600
Like AMG said, the price can vary drastically and it also depends on your model. To replace the pump on the S500 is ~$1500 or on the S600 is ~$2700. I am in the process of replacing it myself and it looks to be about $1100 total on my S600. If you are looking at valve blocks or hoses the sky is the limit.

Glad your MFD went silent for the ride home. Just be aware that there is still something going on there. IF you are still covered by a warranty then you need to get it to the shop and get it looked at. Just because the light did not come on again doesn't mean that the car fixed itself. It certainly did not come on because you were parked on a steep slope.
K

Last edited by S600Keith; 10-31-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2012 | 01:52 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Didn't realise the pumps for the 600s were different from the 500s, I guess because the 600 is a much heavier vehicle.

I think on reflection I'd rather play safe and get it looked at versus the worry of it popping at a most inconvenient time. That's why I got the warranty, might as well take advantage of it.
Old 10-31-2012 | 05:29 AM

MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Originally Posted by Fraser
Didn't realise the pumps for the 600s were different from the 500s, I guess because the 600 is a much heavier vehicle.

I think on reflection I'd rather play safe and get it looked at versus the worry of it popping at a most inconvenient time. That's why I got the warranty, might as well take advantage of it.
Sorry to hear your issue, but yes, have it checked asap.

In case any incident happen before fixed, you may want to have a procedure handy, follow which to be safe and minimize further damage.
Here is the action list I compiled for owner with ABC, hope it helps:
https://mbworld.org/forums/5376771-post100.html

Thanks.

Howard
Old 10-31-2012 | 08:12 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Thanks Howard The decision was made for me when it flashed up again this morning. I should be able to get the car into the dealership very quickly, and they're only about 2 miles from the house.
Old 10-31-2012 | 11:16 PM

S600

Same pump but boatload more labor. The pump is $1700 new but I got a remanufactured. Has the same warranty and I got it for under $700. The labor for the S600 books out at about 20 hours. This is a total crock since I am busting my own knuckles in my garage and have completely removed the old one and have the new one almost completely back in with less than 10 hours invested so far. This without proper tools and no firsthand knowledge of the process or instructions. It is what it is. Get yours checked while you can get it done under warranty and you won't regret it later. Keep us posted.

K
Old 11-01-2012 | 05:58 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Well it went in today and it can't be anything much. The SDS error code was C1526-016 which notes a low pressure supply in the system, but the ABC pump was working fine today when they tested it. The suggested remedy just to be on the safe side, was a flush of the entire system and the replacement of a couple of filters within it. I'm not sure why that would solve a problem with a pump but hey ho. The dealership are really conservative when it comes to things like this so if it was something serious they'd have told me.

At $800 for that flush job I declined and said I'd monitor the situation closely.
Old 11-02-2012 | 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Well it went in today and it can't be anything much. The SDS error code was C1526-016 which notes a low pressure supply in the system, but the ABC pump was working fine today when they tested it. The suggested remedy just to be on the safe side, was a flush of the entire system and the replacement of a couple of filters within it. I'm not sure why that would solve a problem with a pump but hey ho. The dealership are really conservative when it comes to things like this so if it was something serious they'd have told me.

At $800 for that flush job I declined and said I'd monitor the situation closely.
Bobby Rahal Mercedes in Wexford, PA, charged me $350 for the same ABC flush and rodeo.

Find another dealer or simply talk to the service manager and ask him "WTF"
Old 11-02-2012 | 07:48 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
The $800 or so (thinking about it was more like $740) did include the flush and the filters. Am not sure if the filters could make up the differential, I know ABC stuff can be silly prices but I don't recall people mentioning filters before...
Old 11-03-2012 | 12:10 AM

S600
The $800 or so (thinking about it was more like $740) did include the flush and the filters. Am not sure if the filters could make up the differential, I know ABC stuff can be silly prices but I don't recall people mentioning filters before...
I bought the filter this past Wednesday and it was $57. However, the requisit 10 liters of Pentosin needed to complete the flush was $432. Since we are talking $489 for just parts I'm thinking the flush wasn't that far out of line?

However, I think it is quite possible that the filter getting clogged could affect the flow of fluid through the system. You MAY be able to get away with just changing the filter which may be worth a shot for you. At $57 the price is right to give it a trial and changing it is as easy as removing the cap from the reservoir behind the driver's side headlight.

Just sayin'
Old 11-03-2012 | 10:23 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
For that price I'd do the filter change for sure, just to be safe. I'm not mechanically inclined in any way but it sounds like the filter change is very easy. I'll have a look when I step outside.

Edit:
So I took a look at the system and can't readily identify where the filter would go. None of the entry points into the system seem large enough! Any help would be appreciated, I would without a doubt be the least mechanically minded individual on the site!
Let's guess the price! ABC Repair-rqmjg.jpg

Last edited by Fraser; 11-04-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-04-2012 | 01:23 AM

S600
There is a double reservoir bolted to the wheel well behind the drivers side headlight. One side of the reservoir is for the power steering and the other one (the larger one) is the Pentosin for the ABC. There is a return line from the pump that attaches via the filler cap. When you remove the cap it comes out with the internal filter attached to the cap. Simply remove the return line from the cap, unscrew the cap, and pull it out with the filter. You can then remove the filter from the underside of the cap and reverse the procedure to install the new one. It is pretty straightforward. That would also probably be a good time to double check the fluid level in the reservoir.

K
Old 11-04-2012 | 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Well, it's not half bad unless you buy everything from the dealer and have them fix it. Buy struts from Arnott, and the pump or valve block from sellers on ebay and save a crap load. Then find a indy mechanic that work on Mercedes and other German cars.

Mine replaced both rear struts, filled the hydralic fluid that I lost, which was a lot, and replaced both belts for just over $500. That price included the price of the belts. I bought my rear struts for $1600 for both off of Arnott's auction listing on ebay, and got back $600 of that from core. And that came back to me fast, btw...thanks Arnott!

It all depend on where you buy parts and who fixes it...These cars aren't that bad...and I live in a town with 25K ppl, with no surrounding population for 100 miles, and I have a mechanic. I know you can find one too
Old 11-04-2012 | 11:42 AM

MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Post Best price for Pentosin CH11S.

If I didn't post, here is the best price for ABC/Steering fluid Pentosin CHF11S:
http://www.autopartsway.com/PartList.../pagenum1/tabS

Thanks.

Howard
Old 11-04-2012 | 03:59 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by S600Keith
There is a double reservoir bolted to the wheel well behind the drivers side headlight. One side of the reservoir is for the power steering and the other one (the larger one) is the Pentosin for the ABC. There is a return line from the pump that attaches via the filler cap. When you remove the cap it comes out with the internal filter attached to the cap. Simply remove the return line from the cap, unscrew the cap, and pull it out with the filter. You can then remove the filter from the underside of the cap and reverse the procedure to install the new one. It is pretty straightforward. That would also probably be a good time to double check the fluid level in the reservoir.

K
Thanks, Keith! Looks easy enough! Do you know the part number? Is it W0133-1855915?

Last edited by Fraser; 11-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2012 | 11:11 PM

S600
Howard, that IS a great price. I did see it for ~$17 on ebay but, yes, you should be able to get it for about $20 a liter. I was at the dealer getting a new filter and the boot that connects the intercoolers to the throttle body and I wanted to just go ahead and get the Pentosin. Little did I know that they would rape me for >$43/liter! Rat *******s will hear from me about that one later.

Fraser, I am not sure about the MB part number but my receipt says part# 105G21 003-184-61-01. A detail you may need is how to get the filter off of the filler cap. Once you have the cap out with the filter attached you compress the spring at the bottom and there is some play between the filter and cap. You can then see the little hook that catches a ring on the bottom of the cap. Release the hook and pull the spring out of the bottom of the filter. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.

Keith
Old 11-05-2012 | 10:57 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by S600Keith
Fraser, I am not sure about the MB part number but my receipt says part# 105G21 003-184-61-01.

Thanks! I ran that through the part search engine on www.buymbparts.biz and your part number came up the same as what mine did
Old 11-30-2012 | 06:44 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Well, I changed the filter and since doing so the "Visit Workshop" had been coming up almost every drive, whereas for a while it was once every couple of days. Last night leaving work there was nothing on the MFD but some noticeably strange noises as I pulled away (my office car park has some turns on gradients) and I knew that something bad was going to happen imminently. We went out to dinner and upon firing the car up to go home the red "ABC Drive Carefully" showed up. I took it to the dealer first thing this morning and the ABC pump needs replacing. $2700 for parts and labour, but the warranty company are covering it so only $200

Got a GLK loaner for the weekend and expect to have the car back on Monday/Tuesday.
Old 12-01-2012 | 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
ouch, but good deal on the warranty.

You knew it was coming at least
Old 12-01-2012 | 03:43 PM

A Mercedes obviously!
Originally Posted by Oliverk
ouch, but good deal on the warranty.

You knew it was coming at least
Yes, I think the $3300 warranty has now almost paid for itself and with 2yrs left on it to boot.

I did have concerns that the warranty company (Chrysler Service Contracts) would wriggle themselves out of paying for the work because I hadn't performed the dealer recommended flush and filter change through the dealer a few weeks back. (Even though I changed the filter myself right after and the dealer said it more than likely wouldn't fix the problem)

Last edited by Fraser; 12-01-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2012 | 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
I had a chyrsler service contract also. IN the beginning, they were great, no issues. Then my service advisor left, the warranty company stopped covering certain MB cars (v12 and amg), and then I started having issues with them covering stuff.

I came out ahead as well with the warranty, but the appeal wore off after having to wait while they approved stuff and wait forever for payment.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Let's guess the price! ABC Repair