S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

finally decided on a s430, but have some questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche Cayenne S, MB E430, & M3
finally decided on a s430, but have some questions.

just sold my cars in the last few months and need something that is more sophisticated and upscale. I had 02 330ci and 02 s2000. Both cars were great, but need a 4 door. At one point i was going to get a clk500, but now i opted out.

I want to get a 4door and it had come down to LS400, S430 and 740il. The Lexus was for much older crowd and the 740il was older shape and didn't care so much. So it was the S-class. Due to limited budget, i could probably get a 00 S430. I had a few questions and need help from you guys.

1. is the s430 reliable and how is the maint. on this? Just want to budget properly.
2. anything to look out for?
3. i don't like the 00-02 lights. i will upgrade to 03 front, but i like the 00-02 rear much better. Just in case i find a car that does not have xenon, can i upgrade to Xenons. I need it cuz i have astigmatism. Or should i only look for that has Xenon to begin with.
4. Wheels, i will want to upgrade to 18s. factory 16 are way too tiny for this car. Any troubles with 18s. I don't want 19s cuz in most of previous cars i had 19s and couldn't drive to downtown since the roads were horrible. I want to drive and enjoy the car instead of taking to shows.
5. navigation? is it standard on all S-class.

that's all. please advise in any way you can. I want to get into this very soon. Finally found a car I think I will be quiet content with. Also, will start a family soon - so this only makes sense.

I like the new e500 but couldn't dish out 65k at the moment. Budget is 45k plus 8k for wheels, lights and minor upgrades to personalized.

thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interested in my car? I'm selling it. miles 69500. price is way under your budget. its got 18 amg's, xenons.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:46 AM

Mercedes S430 '00
Check cars.com for the DC metro area (ur sig says Herndon?)

Get one that comes with Xenon already. The upgrading is a pain and expensive to get the '03 headlights. If you want the '03, you must get one that already has Xenon.

Do a search on 2000 S430 and you will find a lot of threads on what problems and issues that model year has. I've been happy with mine, except for not having Xenon (waiting to install my OEM Xenon's).

18's shouldn't be a problem on your car. Just make sure its the correct offsets.

Navigation is standard. But they use the **** poor, antiquated CD rom system instead of a DVD system. They go by region and I think mid atlantic is disk #8. I'll have to check mine again

Good Luck

Dizzy
Old 07-30-2003, 12:51 PM

Sorry Dizzy, but this is incorrect. You can retro fit ANY S-Class 00-02 w/ or w/o xenon witn the 03 xenons. Even if you DID have xenons w/ your 00-02 s class, the self leveling will not work. So having xenons before the upgrade is a moot point.

Originally posted by Dizzy
Get one that comes with Xenon already. The upgrading is a pain and expensive to get the '03 headlights. If you want the '03, you must get one that already has Xenon.
Dizzy
Old 07-30-2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by SportyS
Sorry Dizzy, but this is incorrect. You can retro fit ANY S-Class 00-02 w/ or w/o xenon witn the 03 xenons. Even if you DID have xenons w/ your 00-02 s class, the self leveling will not work. So having xenons before the upgrade is a moot point.
why will not the self leveling work? If it's OEM product, it should work properly i assume.

Dizzy,
Yes, i live in Herndon. Where in Bethesda do you live? Maybe i can check out your ride and get an idea. I will probably get HRE wheels on the MB in 18s.

The navigation I won't mind. Had an 02 bmw 330ci had a similar navigation and I was okay with it. I just want to be able to upgrade to the NAV-TV and hook up DVD player. I take out a lot of my clients and would like to provide good entertainment while they are in the car. :-)

The search and research continues.

I am leaning towards White, Silver or Black S-class.
:-)
Old 07-30-2003, 01:14 PM

The self leveling harness is completely different in 03 models. Please do a search on the forum for more info, as it's been discussed numerus times.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:09 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
Originally posted by LILRAJA
why will not the self leveling work? If it's OEM product, it should work properly i assume.

Dizzy,
Yes, i live in Herndon. Where in Bethesda do you live? Maybe i can check out your ride and get an idea. I will probably get HRE wheels on the MB in 18s.

The navigation I won't mind. Had an 02 bmw 330ci had a similar navigation and I was okay with it. I just want to be able to upgrade to the NAV-TV and hook up DVD player. I take out a lot of my clients and would like to provide good entertainment while they are in the car. :-)

The search and research continues.

I am leaning towards White, Silver or Black S-class.
:-)

why would anyone get a mercedes in any other color than white, silver or black?
Old 07-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by shaggy982
why would anyone get a mercedes in any other color than white, silver or black?
What confuses me is why get it in other than black.

Navagation, as stated before is standard. If you are looking for the COMAND 1 and COMAND 4 cd's I do have them for free on a P2P network. I am looking for others and I may have 9 on the way.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by vraa
What confuses me is why get it in other than black.

Navagation, as stated before is standard. If you are looking for the COMAND 1 and COMAND 4 cd's I do have them for free on a P2P network. I am looking for others and I may have 9 on the way.
White is def. one of my favorite color for MB and BMW.
Silver cuz it will allow me to be more flexible, after all i am buying used and can't get everything the way i want.
Black - looks good, but is PITA to keep it clean. I own professional detailing buisness and I tell you blk is hard to keep clean and when cleaned (used ones), it kills you looking at the swirl marks etc. Everything shows up like a nightmare.

I plan on getting AMG wheels or HRE. Both would compliment the car very well. This is going to be my vehicles to take clients out in and want something that is nice and comfortable.

Thank you guys for the quick response. I am so so excited.
can't wait...
Old 08-02-2003, 07:57 AM
Guest0001

S class should be bought in black imo

also i would avoid the 2000 model year

post pics when you get it though...
Old 08-02-2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by noblert10
S class should be bought in black imo

also i would avoid the 2000 model year

post pics when you get it though...
noblert,
u live in California or else u could pick up my dad's mint e320 that he wants to sell.

As for me, my first choice is white, then silver and blk.
Blk is so nice but being a professional detail shop owner - I know what comes with the territory. :-) It's on the list of colors, we will see.

I was thinking of the same thing as well, mabye a 2001 instead of 2000, since it was the first model year. I have to see the price difference and maybe just wait til september when most car companies release the 04 and 01 will become 3 model years old and more negotiable. I have decided that the car should not have more than 45k miles on it and would prefer extended warranty. :-)

U know it about the pix. As soon as I get it, it will be all over my website.
here is my current holdings:
www.euroautoconcepts.com

thanks!