03+ aftermarket projector headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Cooper, M5
03+ aftermarket projector headlights

hey guys,

my younger brother has a 01 s500 and he wants to get the clear 03+ projector style headlights like my s55 has. where the cheapest place to get a set of projector style headlights ? ebay? any website? his car has the factory xenon with autoleveling.

thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Get Depo headlights from ebay, throw on an aftermarket HID kit from theretrofitsource.com, and tape up the auto leveling plug.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 AM

Mini Cooper, M5
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
Get Depo headlights from ebay, throw on an aftermarket HID kit from theretrofitsource.com, and tape up the auto leveling plug.
so i would be able to remove his stock d2r xenon hid setup and install a aftermarket h7 HId setup ? i would actually prefer this as he wanted to put 6000k bulbs anyways
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by xplosiveg06
so i would be able to remove his stock d2r xenon hid setup and install a aftermarket h7 HId setup ? i would actually prefer this as he wanted to put 6000k bulbs anyways
yea, what you want to do is to remove the stock headlights as a whole unit (oem ballasts and bulbs are mounted on the headlight) and install the aftermarket HID kit into the depos then mount/plug in the new headlight units.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Mini Cooper, M5
thanks for the quick replies and answering all my questions desired speeds. i appreciate it
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 351 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Well, perhaps not. I just did that...

I found a set of the German headlamps - German projector lenses, and approval by the German equivalent of DOT - who are much pickier and stricter than the DOT for a reasonable cost. They had H7 highs and fogs, but HID lows. Your choice of HID bulb - I chose 6000k.

When I got them, I was very impressed with the quality of the units - they looked as good as the factory units, and made the car look newer. Installation was not difficult, and there were no trouble codes due to changing from my H7 units to the HID units.

There was one problem - the HID lights pointed down at the ground. The new units included the auto-level system, which my car didn't have, so I had no way to aim the HID pattern!

After a lot of discussion with the vendor - who was very good to deal with - my choices seemed to be return the lights, install the full auto-level system in my car, or find another solution. Finding another solution seemed to be the best.

I found a temporary solution - a buddy has an S430 with factory HID and the auto-level system. I popped my lights out, carried them to his car, plugged his auto-level connector in, and turned on his lights. The projectors did their little dance, and the lights were aimed.

I am now working on a permanent solution - Skyland sold me a manual headlamp level switch for a European car, and I plan to install it.

Bottom line - get good units, and use the auto-level system in your car. I can recommend the units from fishcake321.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM

S320
I bought cheapo clear lights from ebay, then split them open and replaced the horrible halogen projector with a evoxr bixenon projector kit from theretrofitsource.com, I now have WAY better light output than any other merc with factory hids

Aiming was no problem, I made sure to buy halogen projector lights without auto leveling so I could adjust them via the original aiming screws...
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 PM

2002 S430
Originally Posted by wallyp
Well, perhaps not. I just did that...

I found a set of the German headlamps - German projector lenses, and approval by the German equivalent of DOT - who are much pickier and stricter than the DOT for a reasonable cost. They had H7 highs and fogs, but HID lows. Your choice of HID bulb - I chose 6000k.

When I got them, I was very impressed with the quality of the units - they looked as good as the factory units, and made the car look newer. Installation was not difficult, and there were no trouble codes due to changing from my H7 units to the HID units.

There was one problem - the HID lights pointed down at the ground. The new units included the auto-level system, which my car didn't have, so I had no way to aim the HID pattern!

After a lot of discussion with the vendor - who was very good to deal with - my choices seemed to be return the lights, install the full auto-level system in my car, or find another solution. Finding another solution seemed to be the best.

I found a temporary solution - a buddy has an S430 with factory HID and the auto-level system. I popped my lights out, carried them to his car, plugged his auto-level connector in, and turned on his lights. The projectors did their little dance, and the lights were aimed.

I am now working on a permanent solution - Skyland sold me a manual headlamp level switch for a European car, and I plan to install it.

Bottom line - get good units, and use the auto-level system in your car. I can recommend the units from fishcake321.
Let me know how the manual switch works out, I also have a set of the 03+ hid depo lights from Fishcake321 but I have the same problem you described.