Plagued with electrical issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w220 s class 2001
Angry Plagued with electrical issues.

Hi There,

This is my first post and i`m hoping that someone on this forum can point me to the right direction of having these issues resolved with my S class w220 s320.

Issue 1: - my parktronic works as it should, the issue i have i cant switch it off from the dash switch (all fuses checked)

Issue 2: - My courtesy lights and entrance lights do not work when the doors are open. i can confirm the courtesy lights do work if i select them to the on position, but when in automatic mode (where doors are open) they do not work (all fuses checked)

Issue 3: - My rain sensor wipers are also playing up, when i select rain sensor mode the wipers run continuously, but the weird thing i have noticed is when i open the drivers door the wipers start to behave themselves in rain sensor mode, as soon as i close the door the wipers play up again (all fuses checked).

I have read many forums and have checked fuses many times in the engine bay and under the rear passenger seat, i don't know what i can do further apart from take it to Mercedes and pay the hundred of pounds.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Harm1nder; 06-08-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
New battery
Old 06-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 Wagon, E550 Conv
The interior lights only work when it is dark outside. Could be a issue with the rain and light sensor?? Has the windshield been replaced?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 AM

w220 s class 2001
Hi,

windshield has not been replaced, everything was working fine since last week, as you have mentioned rain and lights sensor could this also be affecting other systems such as parktronic?

I can also confirm when i drive at night the headlamps come on by themselves, would this not work if the light sensor was at fault?

Also a new bosh Battery has been installed, couple of days ago.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2013, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Did you ever do a jump start before installing the new battery? Sometimes jump starting these cars can cause numerous electronic problems. You may also try disconnecting the battery again and then doing all of the resets such as the sunroof, windows, etc. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes S500L (W220) and ML63 AMG (W164)
Hi,

Why not check the button itself on the dashboard? You may have a faulty button and this could be the reason why it not shutting the parktronic off.

As for the courtesy lights - there are buttons like switches installed on frame of the vehicle, which gets pushed by the door. Through these switches the car nows that a door is opened/closed. Try removing on of them and touch both cables so you can check if its a faulty switch. If not, you may also want to dissasemble the interio button itself that turns on/off the lights manually - to check if its functioning properly - if you have a faulty button, it might be stuck in the off possision when in automatic.

With the wipers you might have the same problem as I do on My S500 MY2001. Many W220 have this problem - rain sensor i placed on the windshield. Between the rain sensor and the windshield, there is a very thin silicone layer which over the years gets distorted. Thats why the rain sensor is once working and once not.

Best Regards,
Svetlio
Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 AM

w220 s class 2001
Hi Svetlio,

I have an update on the courtesy light the drivers door contact switch was faulty i managed to get a replacement, and this resolved the issue (this issue is now sorted).

with the rain sensor wipers they do work only if i have the front drivers door open also i have tested this by splashing water on the windscreen and the wiper come on, as soon as i shut the door, rain sensor wipers start playing up again (not sure if the relay maybe playing up).

i will try your suggestion and change the switchand see if this resolves the issue with the Parktronic.

Thanks

Last edited by Harm1nder; 06-10-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:23 AM

2004 S600
Hi
Read this. Your problems are many and unlikely that numerous components just failed by themselves at once. There probably is one problem that links all your problems. It kind of sounds like you have a bad circuit ground somewhere in the system. I haved problems much like yours. Mine is a 2004 S600. One huge problem with these cars is the ventilation system. Under the hood on the passenger side is an intake grill for the interior vent system. The grill pops off easily. Every so often you MUST open it and stick your hand deep down inside and locate the drain hole on the bottom. Make sure it's clear. It has a rubber flap. Push your finger through. My problems arose from a clog of tree leaf debris that caused an overflow of rain water to enter the passenger side of the interior and flood the floor. The floor is like a deep pan and it houses all the wiring. Fuses and relays are below the rear seat cushion, passenger side. Water went all the way back. My car is now full of electrical problems. The underside of the carpeting has foam inserts that soak up water like a sponge. I removed all of it in the hope that everything will dry out and systems will return to normal. I also pulled fuses, relays and the computer and I still can't get the tail lights and rear license plate light to shut off or the brake lights, fuel gauge and rear shade to work. I'm currently sourcing an electrical schematic diagram and fuse chart which my car didn't have. I'll post my progress.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM

2000 S500
Originally Posted by andyhilo1
One huge problem with these cars is the ventilation system. Under the hood on the passenger side is an intake grill for the interior vent system. The grill pops off easily. Every so often you MUST open it and stick your hand deep down inside and locate the drain hole on the bottom. Make sure it's clear. It has a rubber flap. Push your finger through. My problems arose from a clog of tree leaf debris that caused an overflow of rain water to enter the passenger side of the interior and flood the floor. The floor is like a deep pan and it houses all the wiring. Fuses and relays are below the rear seat cushion, passenger side. Water went all the way back. My car is now full of electrical problems. The underside of the carpeting has foam inserts that soak up water like a sponge. I removed all of it in the hope that everything will dry out and systems will return to normal. I also pulled fuses, relays and the computer and I still can't get the tail lights and rear license plate light to shut off or the brake lights, fuel gauge and rear shade to work. I'm currently sourcing an electrical schematic diagram and fuse chart which my car didn't have. I'll post my progress.
andyhilo1,
I have the exact same issues right now with my '00 S500 and just started a thread with some questions. I'd love to hear if you've found any solutions. I don't want to hijack this thread because these issues don't sound related to the OP's so here's a link to the one I started: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...-fuse-box.html
Old 07-12-2013, 03:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
124, 140, 211, 220, 221, 996
Have you tried taking it to a local Merc workshop to get the system reset?

I had an experience where a few electrical glitches were present. Took the car to a workshop, asked them to reset the electrical system which took 5 mins. Everything worked well after that.