S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Unable to restart D2B ring with TeleAid removed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Unable to restart D2B ring with TeleAid removed

I am trying to retrofit the TeleAid module and physically remove it from my USA W220 S55 2003 since it's not supported anymore.
In order to do this you need to code TeleAid out of the cluster, CGW and AB modules, and connect the optic cable without the TeleAid module which I have done with an inline optic connector, When I do this, SDS Quick Test shows all good except -F- on COMAND module.

So I reconfigured the D2B ring without TeleAid in the list.
The problem I am having is that the D2B ring fails a restart test between the Master (COMAND) and the new predecessor component (now, the Voice command, was the teleAid)
Original Ring:
COMAND->Sound system(AMP)->CD Changer->Cell phone->Voice Command->TeleAid->back to COMAND
Retrofitted (removal of Teleaid)
COMAND->Sound system(AMP)->CD Changer->Cell phone->Voice Command->back to COMAND

A Wake-up test with the new configuration shows no-reaction from any device in the fiber loop except the Sound system.
In this condition there is no data on the ring, so no audio, CD or bluetooth phone etc.

Restore the process to original and everything works (IE add back the TeleAid) and reconfigure the D2B ring.
It's as if the D2B ring won't function without the TeleAid module yet it's not the master.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Last edited by jnash; 01-15-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Jim, it is almost like what people describe when they get a fault in tele-aid, where it tries to place a call on a nonexistent analog phone network, and seizes all audio, blocking everything.

A look at the thread at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...m-key-fob.html might suggest a solution. The tele-aid module does a LOT more than it might seem. I do not know if perhaps the kind of removal you did interfered with the GPS signal to COMAND, and what effect that might have on the COMAND unit. One would think that because the GPS antenna goes through a splitter and to the COMAND unit (as well as to the tele-aid module), there would be no effect removing the tele-aid; but the GPS antenna is a powered antenna. I don't know if removing the tele-aid would cause a loss of power to the antenna, and what effect that would have on COMAND (I would have thought none, except for a loss of satellites). I know that's weak - but it is the only connection I see beyond what you have already looked at.

The only other possibility - since you properly kept the fiber optics intact with the inline connector - would be some kind of problem with the wake-up signal, so that some necessary equipment is not waking up. I wonder if perhaps disconnecting the power and wake-up connections to tele-aid would allow the rest of the system to wake up? But then, if the GPS antenna draws power from (or via) tele-aid, you could have yet another problem.

Unless your tele-aid unit has malfunctioned, I would leave it in the loop. Unless it malfunctions and seizes audio, it isn't hurting anything.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 S500 base
What Skylaw said.. With DAS, wouldn't it be easier to just disable Teleaid and leave the physical parts in situ ?

I did that on my '06 and appears to have worked.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Bad coupler ?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 PM

2017 S63
Thanks guys, it's not a bad coupler because when i run the optic loop test you have to break (open) the loop in order for it start the test. If you don't break the loop it tells you the loop is still intact.
Yes, I may have to resort to leaving the tele aid module powered up and in situ but I really wanted to remove it for reasons of current drain, improving the reliability of the optic loop, and just removing a module thats not used any more. I can remove other modules easily like the language module or CD with no problems if I care to and reconfigure the loop, so I was expecting to be able to remove the teleaid as easily. It appears its not as straight forward as I expected.

Last edited by jnash; 01-16-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 PM

2017 S63
OK, so I finally figured out how to remove the TELE-AID module completely from the W220 D2B optic systems and will write up the procedure for everyone.
I am not really sure why SDS would not let me reconfigure the optic ring components as described above in thread #1. I took a rest for a while, came back 2 days later and discovered even though the ring was not configured correctly in COMAND, I had sound from the system. I went back into SDS and as able to reconfigure everything. So I assume it was something flaky in SDS. The D2B menus in SDS can be awkward and tricky without experience in them.

Last edited by jnash; 01-19-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 w210 3.2 Sedan (sold) 2004 W220 S430 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (Beast)
Ok I followed your post on Benzworld JNash and I am getting a SRS malfunction, teleaid malfunction, Comand is inop, and took it to the dealer to follow the procedures. Still cannot get it to come on even after plugging it back in. I did cut the button wire in the center console in order to remove the harness first (trying to give the wife more room) that gave the Teleaid malfunction. This is a 2004 S430 with the MOST system. Please any ideas to get the Comand/Nav/audio to work!!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:46 PM

2017 S63
You followed this one? http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ompletely.html

But you have a MOST system and those instructions are for the D2B system. I am not sure what you mean by you "cut a button wire"? What button? There is no need to cut wires when you do retrofits like this. Have you coded out the Teleaid using STAR diagnostics? e.g. Airbag->control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->vehicle equipment->Emergency Call or E-CALL = NOT PRESENT. That should fix the SRS malfunction. As for the other errors, you need a complete fiber loop to get the COMAND going.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:56 PM

JNash,

Thank you for the reply. Yes it is a MOST car, I did follow your write up on Benzworld and there is one more step to fully remove from a MOST car, you have to go into the Bus Ring and turn the Teleaid to not present. Everything else in your post works as written. I spent some time at the dealer with the tech using the SDS, could not figure it out but finally got it!
The cable I cut was for the service call button in the center console, then I pulled the module, which set the SRS and Teleaid codes, and killed comand. Had to reinstall the module, turn everything to present, restart the optic ring, key out, remove the module, loop the FO, turn everything to not present and restart the optic ring. TADA, comand online, nav online, no fault codes and no more sos/teleaid.

Thank you for you great write up and direction. Now to update the head unit with a OPTI-1 and nav system....
Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Well now I have a power drain that is killing the battery overnight. Could this be due to the fact that I removed the teleaid module completely? I will be removing the Comand unit, nav unit, cd change here once I can save up the funds to get the Opti 1 and a modern nav system, but until such time I need to be able to rely on the car (wife's car). Suggestions?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
While I have not had the problem, there have been reports that the NAV system can get hung and not turn off - removing the CD from the COMMAND unit seems to solve the problem.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:22 PM
Tiv

2003 S430
Tele Aid nitemare, help!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a similar issue on my S430 re Tele Aid. Will try the bypass coupler method and just removed the back seat. Looking down, I see a metal plate covering the teleaid CU and can see the orange fiber optics. How do you remove the metal plate to get to the unit and attach the coupler? Below is a birdseye view, thanks!

Control unit cover

Originally Posted by jnash
You followed this one? http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ompletely.html

But you have a MOST system and those instructions are for the D2B system. I am not sure what you mean by you "cut a button wire"? What button? There is no need to cut wires when you do retrofits like this. Have you coded out the Teleaid using STAR diagnostics? e.g. Airbag->control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->vehicle equipment->Emergency Call or E-CALL = NOT PRESENT. That should fix the SRS malfunction. As for the other errors, you need a complete fiber loop to get the COMAND going.