S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

How to Remove TELE-AID Module completely from W220 D2B optic-ring.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
How to Remove TELE-AID Module completely from W220 D2B optic-ring.

Since TELE-AID is an analog service that is not used anymore, you can remove this module. This improves the reliability of the optic-ring since it is one less module in the optical loop that could cause a failure, and also reduces the amount of drain on the battery when the car is turned off. Failed modules in this ring will cause no sound from your COMAND.

These instructions are likely pretty close for MOST optic system that replaced D2B optics in 2004. The following was performed on a W220 S55 AMG 2003 model with chassis 174 that has a D2B optical ring.

I did this from memory and a few notes along the way so I hope I got this right and will edit this later if required.

Use the Mercedes Benz Fiber-Optic Bypass Coupler to by-pass the TELE-AID module that is located under the rear seat on the passenger side. This coupler is available from your dealer for a few bucks. Disconnect the electrical connector to the TELE-AID and remove the module from the car. To identify it, it is the only module beneath the back seat that has the orange fiber-optic cable.

Several modules are affected that need to be coded differently in SDS as follows:

Cluster->Control Unit Adaptations->Variant Coding->special equipment. Set "TELE-AID or E-CALL” = NOT PRESENT.

Cluster->Trouble Shooting by means of complaint or symptoms->Following Engine Start the Message “TELE-AID Defective visit workshop” appears in the display->set “Instrument and communication system” = NOT PRESENT.

Airbag->control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->vehicle equipment->Set Emergency Call or E-CALL = NOT PRESENT.

CGW-> control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->COMAND or AUDIO-> Set Cellular Telephone = NOT PRESENT, (not sure if this was required, but it did not affect by Bluetooth puck into the COMAND.

Go to the sub group of Modules listed: “Audio, Video, Navigation and Telematics”->D2B – COMAND or AUDIO->Actual Values of D2B Components->Actual Configuration of D2B components. Note down the current order of D2B components in the ring. This list should be something like this:

Radio(COMAND, Master), Sound System(AMP), CD Changer (if fitted), Cellular Telephone (used by your Bluetooth Puck if installed), Voice Command(If installed), TELE-AID.

Go Back one step to Control Unit Adaptations->Read codes and change if necessary->Specified Configuration of D2B components->Change the TELE-AID = VACANT. Restart the optical ring.

Clear all Error codes on each module.

Do a Quick-Test and Confirm all is good.

Check on COMAND that your Bluetooth phone still works, the CD player, the radio, Language Module, and the Navigation works.

Check your cluster that no errors are reported. I would be interested to get feedback when someone tries this so we can confirm this process, or edit for accuracy.

Last edited by jnash; 01-20-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Thank you!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 AM

13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
thanks man!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bus Honda accord bus
Thanks so much!

Although everytime I switched the option to send a call in case of a wreck, (the option under airbag). My airbag warning light comes on instantly and I can't get it to turn off unless I go back and switch that option back on
Old 08-04-2019, 05:16 PM

2006 S 500 AMG Sport Pkg.
Originally Posted by jnash
Since TELE-AID is an analog service that is not used anymore, you can remove this module. This improves the reliability of the optic-ring since it is one less module in the optical loop that could cause a failure, and also reduces the amount of drain on the battery when the car is turned off. Failed modules in this ring will cause no sound from your COMAND.

These instructions are likely pretty close for MOST optic system that replaced D2B optics in 2004. The following was performed on a W220 S55 AMG 2003 model with chassis 174 that has a D2B optical ring.

I did this from memory and a few notes along the way so I hope I got this right and will edit this later if required.

Use the Mercedes Benz Fiber-Optic Bypass Coupler to by-pass the TELE-AID module that is located under the rear seat on the passenger side. This coupler is available from your dealer for a few bucks. Disconnect the electrical connector to the TELE-AID and remove the module from the car. To identify it, it is the only module beneath the back seat that has the orange fiber-optic cable.

Several modules are affected that need to be coded differently in SDS as follows:

Cluster->Control Unit Adaptations->Variant Coding->special equipment. Set "TELE-AID or E-CALL” = NOT PRESENT.

Cluster->Trouble Shooting by means of complaint or symptoms->Following Engine Start the Message “TELE-AID Defective visit workshop” appears in the display->set “Instrument and communication system” = NOT PRESENT.

Airbag->control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->vehicle equipment->Set Emergency Call or E-CALL = NOT PRESENT.

CGW-> control unit adaptations-> Read codes and change if necessary->COMAND or AUDIO-> Set Cellular Telephone = NOT PRESENT, (not sure if this was required, but it did not affect by Bluetooth puck into the COMAND.

Go to the sub group of Modules listed: “Audio, Video, Navigation and Telematics”->D2B – COMAND or AUDIO->Actual Values of D2B Components->Actual Configuration of D2B components. Note down the current order of D2B components in the ring. This list should be something like this:

Radio(COMAND, Master), Sound System(AMP), CD Changer (if fitted), Cellular Telephone (used by your Bluetooth Puck if installed), Voice Command(If installed), TELE-AID.

Go Back one step to Control Unit Adaptations->Read codes and change if necessary->Specified Configuration of D2B components->Change the TELE-AID = VACANT. Restart the optical ring.

Check on COMAND that your Bluetooth phone still works, the CD player, the radio, Language Module, and the Navigation works.

Check your cluster that no errors are reported. I would be interested to get feedback when someone tries this so we can confirm this process, or edit for accuracy.
Maybe you can help me. I am looking for the Voice control module and the e call control unit on a 2006 s 500 w220. My Comand unit says system unavailable. I have checked the components in the trunk with the fiber optic bypass loops. They are all working fine. Do you know where the components are located. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:25 PM

2017 S63
the voice control is the small black plastic module in the truck in the cluster of them all by the CD changer, and other fiber components. I am not sure where the ecall is.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:17 PM

Thank you.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 AM

The E-call is the Tele-Aid module, I did not see a fiber optic connection to it. Can I just remove it without affecting the MOST connections.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 mercedes s500
Where exactly is it at and how do I remove my rear seat?

where exactly is it located at under Neath my rear seat I see the light thing where my fuses and Sam unit are and how do I remove my rear seat
Old 04-27-2021, 07:38 PM

2002 mercedes s500
Where exactly is it at and how do I remove my rear seat?

that

is the only thing under rear passenger seat
Old 04-28-2021, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
You remove the lower cushion of the rear seat by feeling under each corner of the seat and finding a small flat handle, pressing each handle and lifting up slightly on that corner, then sliding it forward and out cautiously while checking for any wires running from the car to the seat. There usually aren't any wires - unless you have the heated seat option.
Old 11-19-2021, 07:53 AM

2005 CL65 AMG

Hello jnash

I just got my star c4 kit. I am going to attempt your procedure to a 2005 CL 65 AMG.
First question: I have a lot of software on my machine. What software did you use to code the controllers with (sorry I am new to this)
Second question: Did anyone (by your knowledge) try this procedure on a CL?

Thank you very much
Old 11-19-2021, 08:45 AM

13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
Contact benz ninja

Contact benz ninja for a small fee ha can do it for you. He is awesome and very very knowledgeable.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:44 AM

2005 CL65 AMG
Thanks corkshoppe