S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

radio stations not working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 mercedes benz s500 designo
radio stations not working?

i have a 2000 s500 design and my radio stations are not working at all,cd players and tape works just fine…the stations read zero!no fm or am station are coming in…suggestions?

thanks guys.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 S500 base
Possibly antenna amplifier under rear of headliner. . Don't have time tonight for fuse/schematic/year-model info, perhaps someone can chime in overnight, if not, I will get it in the AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by fxdeebee
Possibly antenna amplifier under rear of headliner. . Don't have time tonight for fuse/schematic/year-model info, perhaps someone can chime in overnight, if not, I will get it in the AM.
thank you very much for your help!i will wait until the morning to see what your response is.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM

2006 S500 base
On your model year the radio is pretty much an "all in one" unit unlike the '03+ models with a separate Audio Gateway in the trunk that is actually the radio tuner as well.

Going on that premise, the antenna amplifier feeds its AM/FM signals directly to the back of the radio. With the other audio sources performing you can probably eliminate a radio/audio amplifier problem.

A quick question.. does the key fob still lock/unlock the door properly ? If it does, than the antenna amplifier is getting power and you can skip the fuse check for that ( fuse 61, 10 amps, under back seat).

A quick over view of the W220 antenna system can be found here ..

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...m-key-fob.html

Which leads back to your problem.. assuming the key fob is working and the amplifier is powered okay, you can check the right side of the antenna amplifier to ensure the 2 coax cables are firmly seated. You may be able to check that by GENTLY pulling down on the back edge of the headliner. A small mirror may be useful also, as well as being a bit of a contortionist. Next check is the antenna input on the back of the radio unit that it too is firmly seated.
If those check out than its probably safe to assume that your amplifier is toasted. Replacement of that requires head liner removal according to WIS.

Last edited by fxdeebee; 05-07-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 AM

On your model year the radio is pretty much an "all in one" unit unlike the '03+ models with a separate Audio Gateway in the trunk that is actually the radio tuner as well.

Going on that premise, the antenna amplifier feeds its AM/FM signals directly to the back of the radio. With the other audio sources performing you can probably eliminate a radio/audio amplifier problem.

A quick question.. does the key fob still lock/unlock the door properly ? If it does, than the antenna amplifier is getting power and you can skip the fuse check for that ( fuse 61, 10 amps, under back seat).

Which leads back to your problem.. assuming the key fob is working and the amplifier is powered okay, you can check the right side of the antenna amplifier to ensure the 2 coax cables are firmly seated. You may be able to check that by GENTLY pulling down on the back edge of the headliner. A small mirror may be useful also, as well as being a bit of a contortionist. Next check is the antenna input on the back of the radio unit that it too is firmly seated.
If those check out than its probably safe to assume that your amplifier is toasted. Replacement of that requires head liner removal according to WIS.
wow!very helpful information,thank you so much man!

and,yes the key fob does unlock/lock doors…it's getting weak however.going to need a new battery.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 PM

i think i found the problem..the antenna on the roof of my car is broke in halfhow much will that cost to replace and will my navigation even work?i don't have the nav cd but plan on getting one if you think my nav will still work….thanks man.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:46 PM

2006 S500 base
The sharkfin doesn't have anything to do with AM/FM. The Dollarship will want around 600 bucks to replace it. If your aren't using the internal cell phone ( which is also part of the sharkfin ) you can just remove it and go with an active GPS antenna with grey FACRA connector. Like this one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171057715968?lpid=82

Mounted up under the dash atop the A/C plenum and plugged directly into back of your nav unit. I am not as familiar with the pre '03 models so perhaps someone who has done this can chime in with an exact location and cable routing.

As for the AM/FM.. I still believe its the antenna amplifier. Perhaps you can scare up someone locally with a STAR diagnostic machine. There are some voltage and continuity checks as well as signal level checks it can perform on the amplifier.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 PM

The sharkfin doesn't have anything to do with AM/FM. The Dollarship will want around 600 bucks to replace it. If your aren't using the internal cell phone ( which is also part of the sharkfin ) you can just remove it and go with an active GPS antenna with grey FACRA connector. Like this one ...

GPS Antenna Aerial Hrs GT5 Mercedes Alpine Pioner Clarion Panasonic 3M Magnetic | eBay

Mounted up under the dash atop the A/C plenum and plugged directly into back of your nav unit. I am not as familiar with the pre '03 models so perhaps someone who has done this can chime in with an exact location and cable routing.

As for the AM/FM.. I still believe its the antenna amplifier. Perhaps you can scare up someone locally with a STAR diagnostic machine. There are some voltage and continuity checks as well as signal level checks it can perform on the amplifier.
you sure know your stuff man!thank you so very much for taking time out of your day to help me with this difficult situation i am currently in.so very helpful!

have a good night bud!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:58 AM

2006 S500 base
Retired ... no life ... 3 computers ... bit of a techno geek and somewhat obsessive with my Merc
The following users liked this post:
Krazyleg (06-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
13's550/2000's430/13'gl63/'13's550/10's63
pre o3 will not work with the gray fakra connector.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:31 PM

2006 S500 base
Originally Posted by corkshoppe
pre o3 will not work with the gray fakra connector.

EEK ! Blue then ?
Old 06-10-2021, 06:04 AM

C215 CL 600, W220 S65, W221 S550, 1969 442 vert, 2000 MCY Viggen vert, 1992 900 vert, 1986 B350 RR
Me too. Hopefully your still active on this site. Any idea where I could get a coax cable, radio to the back? My cable is a little frayed with intermittent reception issues. Fought a long battle looking for the issue. Replaced the Combar, everything is working now but noticed the frayed cable and I don’t want to go the whole wireing harness route.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Radio stuff varies greatly from year to year and market to market. It is always a good idea to include year, model and market in any request for help.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:23 PM

C215 CL 600, W220 S65, W221 S550, 1969 442 vert, 2000 MCY Viggen vert, 1992 900 vert, 1986 B350 RR
Originally Posted by wallyp
Radio stuff varies greatly from year to year and market to market. It is always a good idea to include year, model and market in any request for help.
Wally,

Wow. How goofy am I? You mean everyone on this site isn’t driving a W220 S65 (2006)!?!?! Sincerely, thanks for reminding me. I’ve been on a few forums commenting on a few things and seeking wisdom of those more experienced than I, of which you are certainly one. I have installed a new combar, not cheap. The coax in question is located at the back “windshield”, under the head liner. Intermittent radio reception issues being generated. FOB functionality also impaired. Everything works smashingly until it doesn’t. I guess I’m wondering who would address coax like that? Is there a way to repair that with out replacing the whole harness? Shockingly Mercedes offers that solution to which I am not amendable. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Grateful Frank

Old 06-11-2021, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
"I have installed a new combar, not cheap. "

Is that the complex plastic bar under the rear of the headliner that contacts the antennas on the rear glass? I just had to replace that on my 2003 S500 a couple of months ago. My friend at the local pull-a-part decided that it was essentially a power antenna, so he charged me $15 for it - not too bad to install, worked a treat, so I was happy.

If I remember correctly, the coax assemblies just plug into the bar - no screw-on connectors. It sounds as if you have seen visible fraying of the cable - weird! I wonder what caused the fraying.

I usually try to pull some of the wire harness free and keep a few inches of wire (coax in this case) and the connector. (Scotty says that they almost never sell a wire harness.) I honestly don't remember whether or not I did that with the antenna bar. I'll try to check tomorrow to see if I have anything.

Where is the fraying? At the connector? Inches away? A foot away? How much replacement cable do you need? I would expect that you should be able to buy one or two miniature connector sets (both male and female) to splice in a replacement section.

Any possibility of a photo?

Old 06-12-2021, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by wallyp
"I have installed a new combar, not cheap. "

Is that the complex plastic bar under the rear of the headliner that contacts the antennas on the rear glass? I just had to replace that on my 2003 S500 a couple of months ago. My friend at the local pull-a-part decided that it was essentially a power antenna, so he charged me $15 for it - not too bad to install, worked a treat, so I was happy.

If I remember correctly, the coax assemblies just plug into the bar - no screw-on connectors. It sounds as if you have seen visible fraying of the cable - weird! I wonder what caused the fraying.

I usually try to pull some of the wire harness free and keep a few inches of wire (coax in this case) and the connector. (Scotty says that they almost never sell a wire harness.) I honestly don't remember whether or not I did that with the antenna bar. I'll try to check tomorrow to see if I have anything.

Where is the fraying? At the connector? Inches away? A foot away? How much replacement cable do you need? I would expect that you should be able to buy one or two miniature connector sets (both male and female) to splice in a replacement section.

Any possibility of a photo?
Spot on. At the connector. Let me work on the photo. I’m fairly physically impaired but I’ll see if I can make it back there.

thank you.