S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

locked hard key in trunk, remote doesn't work -- is there any other way to open trunk

Old 05-23-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 coupe Black/Almond, 61k miles in 2020
locked hard key in trunk, remote doesn't work -- is there any other way to open trunk

OK, so the remote and interior cabin trunk opening switch stopped opening the trunk about a year ago. I don't use the trunk much, but when I do I use the hard key that is inserted into the remote fob. The doors do still pull closed when partially closed, so the pneumatic system seems to be in order. I think the trunk vacuum switch stopped working about a year ago.

Well, I dropped the hard key into the trunk tonight, and before thinking, closed the trunk. Aside from the take home leftovers from the restaurant, I have a lot of luggage in the trunk I need to access by Saturday 9am, which is about 36 hours from now.

I am going to the dealer in Santa Monica tomorrow morning. Does anyone know if the dealer is able to produce a new hard key for my remote fob? If so, how long does it take?

Is there any other way to get into the trunk to retrieve the hard key I dropped, knowing that the interior switch doesn't work, nor does the remote fob? Is a lock smith capable of inserting something into the key hole to open the trunk?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
I believe there is an access hole behind the license plate where a screwdriver can be inserted to open the trunk manually
Old 05-23-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by tusabes
I believe there is an access hole behind the license plate where a screwdriver can be inserted to open the trunk manually
Can anyone confirm that? I dropped the car off at the dealer and they will:

1) reset the controls and see if the trunk will open with the key fob, and if that doesn't work, which it probably will not, then
2) remove the back seat and gain access to the trunk that way.

I am assuming the 2nd option will cost me several hundred dollars in labor, so if there is in fact an access hole, I will call my service advisor and inform him of this trick.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Well you have to make (drill ) the access hole . An mb dealer will not drill your trunk that would be something a body shop or you would need to do

See post number 5 here
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1732681-lock-keys-trunk.html
Old 05-23-2014, 05:29 PM

Well, they dealer said it could not be done, since the trunk keyhole is in the Valet position. Even if they could get through the back seat, or break through the right tail light assembly, or drill the lock out, they say that since the trunk key is in the valet position, it would do no good.

I asked the Advisor if there were some technical assistance number for Germany, or some other technical experts that could verify what his two top service reps were telling him, but he said his two guys were from Germany and know as much as anybody.

So, I have the car back home. By Tuesday when the blade key arrives, the seafood risotto dinner takeout I had in the trunk will be stinking to high heaven.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:22 PM
LTe

2001 S600
Originally Posted by DunninLA
Well, they dealer said it could not be done, since the trunk keyhole is in the Valet position. Even if they could get through the back seat, or break through the right tail light assembly, or drill the lock out, they say that since the trunk key is in the valet position, it would do no good.

I asked the Advisor if there were some technical assistance number for Germany, or some other technical experts that could verify what his two top service reps were telling him, but he said his two guys were from Germany and know as much as anybody.

So, I have the car back home. By Tuesday when the blade key arrives, the seafood risotto dinner takeout I had in the trunk will be stinking to high heaven.
Don't take any sharp turns with the risotto in the trunk.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 PM

On another thread for this issue, a poster said you could drill a hole exactly half way between the top two bolt holes that fasten the license plate to the car. And that there is a silver color wire, like a super thick hanger metal, going vertical past the hole. He said he took needle nosed pliers and pulled on that wire, and the trunk opened.

So, I did the same this afternoon and the trunk popped open. I drilled a 3/8 hole but then drilled another next to it to give me more room to grab the wire with pliers... but when I finished the second hole, and was cleaning it up, the bit hit the wire somehow and the trunk opened.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Glad to see the access hole trick worked for you
Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 mercedes benz s500
Can u take a pic of the location of the holes you drilled please
Old 06-11-2017, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 MB s500
Hey guys first post I'm a newbie need to get in truck manually

Hey guys I have to get in my trunk manually I've had a really bad draw somewhere in car MBA caked out after 400dollars couldn't find nothing so I put a quick disconnect so once I'm done driving for the evening and home to sleep it takes about 12hours for battery to b completely dead oh forget to tell u guys it's a 2000 MBA s 500 runs like a dream quesion I have I have triple aaa service and I know on my exs who had a BMW 32i they drilled a hole and popped it I mean I was just wondering if that something possible to do on a 2000 s500 if not what r some things I can try tha nks let's see how first thread goes thank you john
Old 06-11-2017, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Jeebise233
Hey guys I have to get in my trunk manually I've had a really bad draw somewhere in car MBA caked out after 400dollars couldn't find nothing so I put a quick disconnect so once I'm done driving for the evening and home to sleep it takes about 12hours for battery to b completely dead oh forget to tell u guys it's a 2000 MBA s 500 runs like a dream quesion I have I have triple aaa service and I know on my exs who had a BMW 32i they drilled a hole and popped it I mean I was just wondering if that something possible to do on a 2000 s500 if not what r some things I can try tha nks let's see how first thread goes thank you john
easiest thing is to apply power under the pasenger seat then use your power trunk release , here is how to do it

https://youtu.be/Jb_7E-Z5D7g

does your power trunk work if your battery isn't dead? Then that's the best way

drilling the trunk lid is last resort if your power trunk doesn't work

oh and to more easily deal with your battery drain, buy a Battery brain t3 from Amazon . It's a keyfob remote controlled battery disconnect so you can stop the battery drain when you get out of the car Just by clicking the keyfob remote, and reconnect when you return to the car by clicking the remote

Last edited by tusabes; 06-11-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Does the emergency (manual) key hidden in the key fob not work?
Old 06-11-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by billr979
Can u take a pic of the location of the holes you drilled please
Sorry, I didn't see this post until now. Car long gone. Regrettably that w220 was/is the most unreliable MB ever made... the Chrysler years were not good to MB. So many little things went wrong with that car, was glad to get rid of it for $1000 at 125k miles with air suspension failing, trunk not opening, front struts needing replacement at $3k, etc.

Anyway, the hole I drilled was about halfway between the top bolt holes that hold the license plate in place. Obviously you can't see the hole(s) because they're behind the license plate.