S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Gear/abs/esp/hard steering problem s320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S320 W220
Gear/abs/esp/hard steering problem s320

Hey i have a s320 that i drowe in the snow one day, and after about an hour on dry roads, we stoped and ate, and when i started driving again, the abs/esp suddenly kicked in while driving slow, i pulled of to the side and restarded the car, and it was giving abs/bas/esp warining messages and the steering was heavy. The car woulndt go higher then the 4th gear, and i could not change manully. I had no idea what it could be so iv tried looking at the brakes thoughrouly, cuse it just stared giving low brake pad warning, but there were still some mm of brakepads around the car. but on the rear passanger side it was worn a bit more so that calliper is hanging. Iv red online this problem could be an abs/wheel sensor, but how can i find out witch one ? also i red some abaout low voltage, and therefore i disconected the minus and after that the car wont go higher then 2th gear. and breaking feels very wierd and uneaven on the pedal.
In the snow i had some wheelspin and abs/esp was working as it should. but the problem occured mutch later on that day, after about 1 hour drive, and a small hour brake. is there any way i could test the abs sensors with a multimeter ? is it a higher chance it is the sensor on the calliper that has been hanging thats broken ? is there any use in discoecting them all and washing them ? any help would be apriciated, iv gotten very good help here before.
Thank you !

edit: voltage was 12.2 before charging and 12.6 charged so i guess thats fine ?
Also, the speedometer is still working fine, does that tell me anything if its rear or front ?

Last edited by Torethuen; 02-19-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
That's the problem those systems include tens of sensors---what's wrong---those with DAS or access to DAS\or equal solve the problem very quickly!!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
It definitely sounds like an ABS wheel speed sensor. Two solutions:
Find the first cable connector outside the wheel arch and measure the sensor resistance - its typically 1.6 k ohms.
Alternatively use an OBD2 code reader and decode the fault codes.
Nick