S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ESP ABS BAS Warning after shock replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 MB S430
ESP ABS BAS Warning after shock replacement

Hello on my 2000 S 430 with 130 000 i just replaced all 4 shocks (struts) with arnott airmatic( replacement due right front was giving me message about airmatic and both rear was leaking and front tires wearing off from outside)all shocks was replaced with disconnect battery. Last month i replaced both front upper and lower arms ball joins DIDN'T DO tie rods.
After shock replacement I connect battery and reset it steering wheels and everything good when i start driving after 1 min BAS ESP ABS come back and steering wheel is misaligned car drive straight and steering wheel is angled.speedo cruise brake lights and everything work only steering is weird.
Everytime when i start car is fine and 1 min drive same messages come back.
What could be wrong ? I'M reading about wheel speed sensor(which one)? could be just fuse? Do i need replace tie rod ends and get alligment done?

Thank you for any suggestions or help
Old 03-23-2016, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Be sure anything you unplugged , sensors etc are fully seated . Most often the problem
Is an electrical sensor was unplugged and not fully plugged back in or the connection was dirty . Go back and redo all electrical connections you unplugged
Old 03-23-2016, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
tusabes is correct.

Two of the more likely spots for trouble are the connectors for the front struts and level sensors. The sensor connectors are a matched pair, and the best way to hook them up is to hold the two connectors tightly aligned side-by-side and insert them firmly into the socket on the fender well, ensuring that they snap into place.

It is important that the suspension joints with rubber bushings are tightened only with the car's weight on the wheels - not with the wheels hanging in the air.

If you did not change or remove the tie rods, nor remove the steering wheel, I have no idea what is wrong with the steering alignment. It does sound like a good idea to change the tie rods and get a complete alignment done by someone who is very familiar with the W220 - not just the cheapest alignment shop.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:53 PM

2000 MB S430
Today i plug to star diagnostic and get code. "N49 ( steering angle sensor) fault in CAN communication with component N80(steering column module)"
I also did actual value on steering angle sensor and number was changing when i turn steering wheel.
When car is park and running i do t get warning when i drive warnning come in 1min. Also when i turn while driving steering wheel is not returning back by self. I checked all wheels shock connectors and all is plug good.
Could be steering angle sensor? Could be alligment? Where should i start? Thank you
Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Disconnect battery again and do all the resets in the sticky thread at the top of the forum , including turning the steering wheel all the way to the right and left extreme end point twice while running in park
Old 03-24-2016, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S320L
Are you sure that is exactly 1 minute? Can it be after exceeding certain speed?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:26 PM

2000 MB S430
Not sure could be with speed but have to be low spedd around 20 warnings come still in community.today i try again disconnect battery and do reset same thing everything look good till I drive. Warnings ESP ABS BAS come on steering wheel is misaligned when go staight when i turn steering is not turning self back.
Today I order new tie rods inner and outer and also steering angle sensor.
Could my wheels be misallignent? Can i do alligment my self? Can be my power steering pump weak?thank you for any advice or suggestion
Old 03-26-2016, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S320L
You should try alignment before ordering new tie-rods. I changed my strut and alignment was not effected. But when I changed my tie-rod, warnings were coming when exceeding 40km/h. I could see the misalignment with my eyes on the wheels.

1) Yes my opinion is your wheels are misaligned. I advise you to check what went wrong, changing struts with arnott did not make any problem with my alignment. I mean check if any possible wrong installation for your safety.

2) Yes you can do yourself, I paid a lot for alignment last year but now I can do it myself mechanically within the tolerances, only it is time consuming, It takes my whole day. you just compare your off-day rate with the workshop rate.

3) If your steering wheel is not turning back straight, check also your caster angle, I had this issue when I did wrong installation with adjustable bolts on torque strut.

4) I don't think that these are related with your steering pump but why not to inspect it? remove your serpentine belt and check for any movement, try to rotate puller with your hand and check for any noise. Check the fluid level and color.

first look under, you may notice the wheels are not looking straight.

Last edited by engindin; 03-26-2016 at 05:35 AM. Reason: my poor english