S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Newbie S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500 Base Sedan W220 without ABC
Newbie S500

Ok. I have a 2001 S500 Base Sedan, no ABC. I am about to install ALL new front end suspension this weekend. ( I am no newbie to mechanics just S500's) I have rounded up all that I need for the job, parts, tools, two extra hands, etc. with the exception of W220 torque specs for everything! Tie rods ends (Inner and outer), ball joint hex nuts, Stabilizer Bar brackets, Control arm bolts (upper and lower), ABS sensor, even Tire lugs. I have completely rebuilt many vehicles in the past and know the importance of a good shop manual. I just have not had time to get one and have it shipped in as I just bought the car 4 days ago. Must get this work done this weekend though as it is VERY much in need of being done. I cannot believe all these rubber parts have failed at the same time. I love this site and plan to be a regular contributor and user. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Welcome to the forum.

All the repairs that you have listed in your post have been covered either on this forum or Benzworld.

An up-dated encyclopedia with most repairs can be found here on Benzworld with PDF files to download with WIS instructions and torque values. You will eventually want to get your own copy of the MB WIS/EPC for all future repair work. See my post here for what I did. I couldn't own a Mercedes without it. The cost of using the dealer or indy would be prohibitive.

If you should get stuck or can't find what you are looking for, post your query on this forum or introduce yourself on Benzworld and start a thread there.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 05-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Mercy-me,
Thank you for the quick response. I have literally devoured the links in the encyclopedia you pointed me to. I simply cannot find a page of torque recommendations for putting the suspension back together. It seems each chassis has a different recommendation for each nut and I am not comfortable using the W204 specs on my w220. Just thought someone might have a copy of the page in the WIS (whatever that stands for, I am guessing a service manual from Mercedes) that gives all the front suspension torque specs for the W220. The encyclopedia page by the way rocks!!!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Originally Posted by roklzrd
Mercy-me,
Thank you for the quick response. I have literally devoured the links in the encyclopedia you pointed me to. I simply cannot find a page of torque recommendations for putting the suspension back together. It seems each chassis has a different recommendation for each nut and I am not comfortable using the W204 specs on my w220. Just thought someone might have a copy of the page in the WIS (whatever that stands for, I am guessing a service manual from Mercedes) that gives all the front suspension torque specs for the W220. The encyclopedia page by the way rocks!!!
WIS stands for "Workshop Information System". EPC stands for "Electronic Parts Catalog". These are absolutely necessary tools for successful DIY. Follow the link that I provided above to purchase your own set of CD's for future projects.

I'm attaching a few PDF's from the WIS that I have saved to get you started.

Please note, suspension components must be final torqued in the "ready to drive position". You can lower the car down onto ramps to fully load the suspension then crawl under to finally set the torque for the control arms etc. This will be noted in the instructions.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 05-19-2016, 12:18 PM

Mercy-me,

You are fantastic! Exactly what I needed. Thank you. CD's have been ordered!