S class owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
S class owners

I don't know if this questions belongs here, but this is definetely a good place to ask.

If you can afford an S class, you're no average person. In the Bay area (California) I've seen so many people which drives this $80K cars everywhere, which makes me wonder, how did they get there?

Are most of these business owners... what kind of business, if you know someone or want to speak for yourself, I want to hear it.

Should every S class owner have a bibliography? I would read every one of them.

Is there a club of S class owners in the Bay area?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
I would imagine that most are business owners. Personally every S Class owner I know/have met are business owner lol. Either that or they are a high ranking person in a large corporation.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Almost a Member!

same question here..
These cars dont come cheap, but some ppl take a loan, lease etc. etc. and seeing all these bad aZZ videos out there with the message that you just GOTTAaa have DA wheels, fuels this further.

I would only know people in Business having these cars, and then they are NOT employed normally.. but there are always exceptions.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

well they could just be good doctors, lawyers, surgeons, dentists, therapists, ceo's (not likely good ones, no offense), accountants, drug dealers, car salesman etc etc etc
Old 04-30-2004, 04:27 AM
Almost a Member!

COULD be, but often NOT where I live and I said it was based on ppl I know, hence no drug dealers haha.. even though I "hear" about those black s 600 with bulletproof windows, and which that it wouldnt be so...

No offense, but thats what the E class is for. My friend who is a pilot went for E without leather.

oh yeah my dentist has cabro or something, but NOT a S.. has is own clinique.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:44 AM

2002 S-430
It depends...I am engineer and I dont own my own business but I have a 2002 S class.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:26 AM

too many to list
Business owner/student
Old 04-30-2004, 09:39 AM

W220
Just a regular doorman at McDonalds...

Old 04-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

ok so how old are yall here? I am trying to start my own business so i can get a S but who knows???!!!! Are most of you S owners young?
Old 05-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Almost a Member!

"It depends...I am engineer and I dont own my own business but I have a 2002 S class."

Well, I said MOST and I guess youre a good engineer. I have a friend engineer, he got a acura etc.
But the money is tight even though he works hard.

Also, there is always a minority. And that group is everything from lottery winners to inheritance takers.

Here in EU, and specifically in My country, they sold ONE maybach. so I guess in the US its a bit different.

EDIT:
Age: Dont hold it against me, not my fault I started early hehe
24 soon-

Last edited by Hires; 05-01-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

saw like 6 s classes near the court house on thursday, most likely all lawyers given the location!!
Old 05-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Almost a Member!

hehe yeah or clients

seriously, In the states you can really earn a lot more as an "employee" sort of speak. I guess its the land of oppurtunity in that aspect, cause here in EU forget ever having a 600 being a lawyer (and yes, I know several lawyers in several countries. Famous ones as well hehe...) Even though they are not poor though.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

its true its not hard to own an S Class, for some people. Like me I am starting I guess you could say a marketing company for cars right, sort of like www.auction123.com and hopefully I will be able to own a S Class soon here. btw its not entirely like auction123 cause I have different work ethics and I want to maintain a more personal relationship with my clients (not to personal you perverts) making sure that they get whatever they need. So I guess if you know what your doing then anybody can own a S Class. Keep in mind alot of them might be used high mileage ones lol. I am aiming for close to new.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 S500
You can buy it used. According to the dealer that sold me my 2002 S500 (as well as another dealer I was working with), when they advertise a car in the newspaper they have to heavily discount it otherwise the ad is ineffective. That is, it will not draw the people in. Also, they hope the car doesn't sell so they can continue to use the same ad. They hope that the ad will draw potential customers in and then hope that the customers turn to other cars in the lot. I liked the advertised car and by teaming with my wife was able to get a larger discount on the car as well as a higher trade in for my old car. Be aggressive in in your negotiations. Visit a lot of dealerships and see what the going price is so that when you see a good deal you know it and can act on it. I went to seven different dealerships before buying my car. I did my research in the papers as well as the MBUSA website.

I ended with a 2002 S500 with 36,000 miles which was originally sticker priced at $61,900 and reduced to in the paper to $54,995 for the sale. After some aggressive negotiations wiith my wife helping me we got it for $52,500. It has the wood trim (steering wheel and shifter knob), ventilated seats, cd changer, rear shade, and wired for the TDMA Timeport phone. I purchased a used Timeport on ebay for $150.

Go in prepared, with a preapproved loan and deal hard with someone on your side to support you. You can get a good used Mercedes at the same price as some NEW cars.

Would I recommend that a young driver purchase a $55,000 car? Probably not. I would recommend other things first. For example college then a house. It was only after my education that I purchased my first used Mercedes...a 420 SEL. You need to put your priorities in order. I don't think an expensive car should be very high in a young person's life. You will come out ahead by investing in your future either in education or real estate. Your Mercedes will not appreciate in value as much as a good education. Be patient, it will come in time. Of course, being young, you will not take my advice. At least go into negotiations prepared.

Happy dealing.

BTW, I am a college professor.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:05 PM

W220
Nice deal for MY2002 S500 with 36k mi and all the options noted
Old 05-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

hongalan, dont worry if there isnt enough money left over after i buy the car then i say screw it. I dont want to spend any money outside of the car..........I totally understand what your saying and appreciate the advice. I always think about things like that.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:22 AM

20 years old, work 16 hours a day @ 2 jobs 5 days a week (I live for the weekends) I live at home and I make 6 figures a year working 20 days a month.

My families work ethic is crazy (no college education though), our house in Orange County, CA is paid for and I still live at home with my parents.

Not the average way of paying for things but I don't mind as long as I can still afford to put a good portion of my earnings twards my retire by 50 fund
Old 05-19-2004, 04:23 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 S500
NukeX, your work ethic is great! I know where you're coming from. My mechanic's son is a little older than you are and works like crazy to pay for his brand new 2004 E500 with all the options. You can do it while you are young and don't have rent or a mortgage to pay for or other bills. But you can't continue an 80-hour work week for very long. Thirty years is a long time. I did it for a while when I was younger but soon got burned out. Now, I work 3 days/week (Tues, Thurs, Fri) for a total of 18 work hours and 4 office hours per week. This is my schedule as a full-time tenured professor. Actually, this includes teaching an overload.

When I first moved to California, I was a "freeway" flier. Working part-time at 4 different colleges travelling 200 miles/day. I guess this is called "paying your dues" so I know what its like to put in long hours. Fortunately, I became full-time after one semester.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I just bought a 04 E320, fully loaded, for $57K. I've seen several 01-03 S model sell for less than what I paid for my W211, and chance is, those cars command more look & admiration than my E (after all, it's only an average midsize car).

But really, nowaday, who really care what kind of car you drive (unless it's exotic car like Ferrari, Lambo, high-end Porches, AstonMartin, or Maybach). An average house around here cost around $800K. 8 years ago, when you bough an S, it's cost as much as 1/2 - 1/3 of a house, now, it's less than 1/10, doesn't reflect much about your financial condition anymore.

The only car that command my admiration is an E55, not for what it cost, but for what it can do.

It's only a car !!. Give it a break.

Originally posted by hongalan
You can buy it used. According to the dealer that sold me my 2002 S500 (as well as another dealer I was working with), when they advertise a car in the newspaper they have to heavily discount it otherwise the ad is ineffective. That is, it will not draw the people in. Also, they hope the car doesn't sell so they can continue to use the same ad. They hope that the ad will draw potential customers in and then hope that the customers turn to other cars in the lot. I liked the advertised car and by teaming with my wife was able to get a larger discount on the car as well as a higher trade in for my old car. Be aggressive in in your negotiations. Visit a lot of dealerships and see what the going price is so that when you see a good deal you know it and can act on it. I went to seven different dealerships before buying my car. I did my research in the papers as well as the MBUSA website.

I ended with a 2002 S500 with 36,000 miles which was originally sticker priced at $61,900 and reduced to in the paper to $54,995 for the sale. After some aggressive negotiations wiith my wife helping me we got it for $52,500. It has the wood trim (steering wheel and shifter knob), ventilated seats, cd changer, rear shade, and wired for the TDMA Timeport phone. I purchased a used Timeport on ebay for $150.

Go in prepared, with a preapproved loan and deal hard with someone on your side to support you. You can get a good used Mercedes at the same price as some NEW cars.

Would I recommend that a young driver purchase a $55,000 car? Probably not. I would recommend other things first. For example college then a house. It was only after my education that I purchased my first used Mercedes...a 420 SEL. You need to put your priorities in order. I don't think an expensive car should be very high in a young person's life. You will come out ahead by investing in your future either in education or real estate. Your Mercedes will not appreciate in value as much as a good education. Be patient, it will come in time. Of course, being young, you will not take my advice. At least go into negotiations prepared.

Happy dealing.

BTW, I am a college professor.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:06 PM

W220
Originally posted by zam2000
I just bought a 04 E320, fully loaded, for $57K. I've seen several 01-03 S model sell for less than what I paid for my W211, and chance is, those cars command more look & admiration than my E (after all, it's only an average midsize car).

But really, nowaday, who really care what kind of car you drive (unless it's exotic car like Ferrari, Lambo, high-end Porches, AstonMartin, or Maybach). An average house around here cost around $800K. 8 years ago, when you bough an S, it's cost as much as 1/2 - 1/3 of a house, now, it's less than 1/10, doesn't reflect much about your financial condition anymore.

The only car that command my admiration is an E55, not for what it cost, but for what it can do.

It's only a car !!. Give it a break.
Well..
I went through the same debate (new W211 vs used W220). S500 was a clear winner IMO.

Yet, E320 fully loaded (as you specified, i.e. all options) - is NOT $57K, more like $71.7K (without Designo!), so for $57K you can get a base model with a couple of nice packages only - i.e. Premium and Appearance (all prices MSRP).

P.S. E55 is a nice devil - no doubt.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
FYI, I didn't pay MSRP for my car. Negotiation save me $6K off MSRP. Mine came with everything except the panaromic roof.

Notice that you can add up all available options on E320 to come up with some outrage number, however, it doesn't work that way: lot of options are mutual exclusive (get this then don't get that, since this already included that ....blablabla....)

$71K is for a fully loaded E500. Anything over 80K should get you a (not fully loaded) E55.

Originally posted by DMI+RY

Yet, E320 fully loaded (as you specified, i.e. all options) - is NOT $57K, more like $71.7K (without Designo!), so for $57K you can get a base model with a couple of nice packages only - i.e. Premium and Appearance (all prices MSRP).

P.S. E55 is a nice devil - no doubt.

Last edited by zam2000; 05-26-2004 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:30 PM

W220
I really hoped you didn't pay MSRP (what was the sticker on your E320)?

Yet, $6K off MSRP sounds like a very good deal, congrats!

RE: Pricing:
MY04 Fully Loaded E320 (and again - FULLY with exception of 4-Matic and Designo package) is $71.7k MSRP

Reference from MBUSA, you can check your dealers NetStar to confirm if you wish.

E500 FULL would be $79.27k MSRP

Please don't quote me on this in the future...