S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

time to replace brake pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:37 PM
lng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry time to replace brake pads and rotors

We bought this 2000 S500 in June 2002. It had 49,550miles on it. The dealership we bought it at inspected the brakes and noted down 30% brake pads left. A couple days later (maybe 40 add'l miles, so it's insignificant), the MB dealership in Northbrook, IL told me I have to replace the brake pads and rotors. Of course we ignored that. Now 2 years later, at 56700 miles, the car is still running great, with no signs of brake problems. I took it to a local auto shop, and they also recomended the rotors replaced. According to them, MB recommends replacing rotors when the pads are replaced. I had my suspicions once again. I call up the MB dealership, and they say that's not accurate. It depends on the condition of the rotors. Another mechanic told me that he has to replace about 95% of the rotors of all MB and BMW cars. Now I'm just so confused, I don't know who to believe. of course if the mechanic shows me the rotors on my car and tells me i have to replace them, i wouldn't know better! It would save me about $700 if i don't have to replace rotors. the total job costs about $1,000 including the rotors. I want to know what are the consequences of just replacing the pads, and not the rotors????
I came across a posting by someone who included the website URL for a MB parts store. the prices are indeed lower than what a Firestone dealer quoted me for parts alone. the parts store is located in GA, has a 800 number, but i don't remember the name. Help!!!

Last edited by lng; 05-24-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
i have no idea what to say to any of that but.....where did u buy the car from, where are you located??
Old 05-24-2004, 05:59 PM

ML320 164
The thumb rule is that 1 rotor lasts as long as 2 pads i belive But since i love cars with good brakes, I would propably change them now, dont know what your budget is Heard that http://www.stoptech.com is good and cheap. Perhaps you can change them your self? I did that, dont know how you feel about it though. I think it is extremely easy, if in doubt by a haynes manual Or get some friend to help you I am not sure what worn down rotors can cause, bad braking I am sure, but apart from that I have no idea...
Old 05-24-2004, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
in most cases, pads go quicker than rotors.

In our ML case, both go at the same time apparently

With that many miles and the age of the car (without replacing anything so far), I would probably replace the pads (shouldn't be that expensive)...rotors are expensive though, that is for sure.

Especially with the big brakes and stopping power on the S-Class, that's pretty good life for your brakes. If they aren't making squeeling and/or the brake warning light isn't on yet, safe to say that you can keep going until either one happens. If it feels fine (how far does the pedal travel before starting to slow the car down?) then I wouldn't do anything yet, because it is expensive to replace the brakes.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:18 PM

www.buymbparts.com bought from them and can vouch for them.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:12 AM

ML320 164
www.buymbparts.com looks good I would buy rotors from them atleast and install myself, perhaps pads from tierrack. Remember the low brake material warning light only comes on for low brake pads, not for worn out rotors, I heard that rotors can crack and collapse if they are worn completely down, witch would resoult in terribly big expenses Im not sure if thats correct though... How do you feel about installing yourself?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
Yeah my dealer said I should change pads with rotors also. I have 35,000 miles.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:02 AM

s430
Dealer has told me rotors need to be changed with either every pad change or every other pad change depending on wear. I got 70,000 miles out of my 2000 S430 rotors. Just replaced them with cross drilled front and rear Zimmermann rotors and Jurid/Textar pads. Parts and shipping should cost no more than $505.00. Labor at dealer was $220.00.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:28 PM

jahummer,
where did you get your brake products from?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I can verify that the rule of thumb is one set of front rotors for every 2 sets of pads. At the end of the second set, if the rotors aren't below minimum specs already, they're close. Some drivers are gentle on their brakes and are able to make the rotors last for three sets of pads. Some are hard on the brakes and require a new set of rotors every time (especially some ML and S-Class owners). lng, I'd say 56K out of one set of rotors is really not bad at all.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:39 PM

s430
got them from autopartsworld.com but www.buymbparts.com is a couple of dollars cheaper
Old 05-26-2004, 06:27 PM
lng

Thanks!

Thanks so much for all the responses!!! I really appreciate it. On my estimate from a local Firestone store, apparently i need 3 brake sensors. so i'm guessing maybe that's why i didn't get the low brake pad warning on my dashboard screen.
I don't know if the brake pads and rotors were ever changed, since we bought the car when it had 49,500 miles on it. anyone know how I can find out? calling the dealer perhaps. i know they were able to pull up a service record on the vehicle, but weren't able to print a copy for me to keep.
what i'll do is probably order the parts from buymbparts and have the dealer or another mechanic put it on.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by lng
Thanks so much for all the responses!!! I really appreciate it. On my estimate from a local Firestone store, apparently i need 3 brake sensors. so i'm guessing maybe that's why i didn't get the low brake pad warning on my dashboard screen.
I don't know if the brake pads and rotors were ever changed, since we bought the car when it had 49,500 miles on it. anyone know how I can find out? calling the dealer perhaps. i know they were able to pull up a service record on the vehicle, but weren't able to print a copy for me to keep.
what i'll do is probably order the parts from buymbparts and have the dealer or another mechanic put it on.
The brakes are probably not worn down to the sensors yet, which is why the light hasn't come on. The sensors are replaced every time the pads are replaced, which is why they were on the estimate. The sensors are never re-used. In 49,500 miles, I can guarantee the brake pads were replaced at least twice on the front before you bought the car, and maybe once in the rear.