S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic tilt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airmatic tilt

Hey everyone. I've done as much search as I could possibly do before posting this. So take it easy.

The problem is very common in the airmatic section but it's seems that I can't find anything relating to my problem. The car is tilting to the right. No codes or errors shown and no "airmatic" error shown in the dash display. Took it to the dealer to have it properly diagnosed. Report show that everything checks out as passed except for the height level sensors and the air compressor not pumping enough air.

Took it to a shop and they replaced all 3 height level sensors. After picking it up, it still looks like nothing happened. I didn't bother with the compressor since it's still working. Should the computer know that the sensors has been replaced or it should be recalibrated? I'll probably get a rebuilt compressor and do it myself but as far as the computer calibration is concerned,should I go back to the dealer and have it recalibrated?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2017, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
Besides the sensors there's a leveling rod that can be adjusted
Old 05-27-2017, 08:15 AM

Is that the washer mod? I thought about that when I had both front wheels off but I have a feeling this has something to do with the computer. A message saying "Airmatic" popped up overnight so I brought the car to another Mercedes shop around my area with an SDS comp. for a 3rd opinion.

All sensors are good and he tested the electrical signals from each sensors and it turns out a hard code was coming from the rear sensor. I'm surprised the dealership didn't find this and just said to replace the sensors and compressor. Could be a ground or a wiring problem. So i'll have it looked into. Oh boy, this is gonna get expensive....
Old 05-30-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 s500, 2005 SLK55
If the shop confirmed the compressor isn't producing sufficient pressure then that's almost certainly your problem. See my previous write-up about the compressor issue I had. Star Diagnostics will tell the shop exactly how much pressure the compressor is producing - 14 bar is required to maintain the air struts at the correct level. Mine was producing half that, with the result the front (both sides) was dragging on the ground. It's a bit odd that only the RHS of your car is down, but for sure if the compressor is weak, you are going to have more problems down the road. You can get another one of EBay for a few hundred bucks. It's not a trivial job to replace but a few hours and some basic tools is all it takes.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 PM

Okay, i got the car on monday and it sat pretty level. My mechanic said it took awhile to clear the hard code that was coming from the rear sensor. Initially, a broken wire was thought to be the problem but everything checked out okay including the computer module. When the valve block was replaced, it seemed to have solved the tilt problem after a few calibration and re-calibrations. He replaced the rear sensor since a 6-pin was installed and it only needed 4-pin. However, after driving it a few times an airmatic message came up but didn't affect the car and it just disappeared. It popped a few times but now it gone.
Now, the car was in the garage for a day not being driven since i have a few days off work. The interesting part is, the right rear sits 1.75 inches lower than the left AGAIN but the front seemed to have only a .75 difference in height Left to Right (No airmatic message). I didn't bother with it since the shop was already close and i have a few things to do at home.
Anyway, this is getting a bit frustrating. I guess the next step would be to drive it for a couple of days again and see if the problem persists. Otherwise, i have a feeling i'll be replacing the air compressor soon too. It sounds louder than before.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 PM

Here's the picture of the valve block that my mech said was rusted out.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S500 AMG Package
I have an extra valve block if you're interested
Old 06-23-2017, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mashoodsharaf
I have an extra valve block if you're interested
i just saw your thread actually. I'm looking for the air compressor. You have one?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S500 AMG Package
Originally Posted by Collantes_CC
i just saw your thread actually. I'm looking for the air compressor. You have one?
the airmatic pump? I don't actually. I sold all of the ones I had already. Sorry!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:18 PM

Its cool. thanks for checking.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Originally Posted by atxs500
If the shop confirmed the compressor isn't producing sufficient pressure then that's almost certainly your problem. See my previous write-up about the compressor issue I had. Star Diagnostics will tell the shop exactly how much pressure the compressor is producing - 14 bar is required to maintain the air struts at the correct level. Mine was producing half that, with the result the front (both sides) was dragging on the ground. It's a bit odd that only the RHS of your car is down, but for sure if the compressor is weak, you are going to have more problems down the road. You can get another one of EBay for a few hundred bucks. It's not a trivial job to replace but a few hours and some basic tools is all it takes.
Great advice. Start with a new pump. The struts may be failing but without a fully performing pump your old pump is timing out before they can reach full pressure. So much has been written about airmatic on this forum as well as Benzworld that every possible scenario has been discussed. If you are unable to do the work yourself then you are at the mercy of your Indy but just throwing parts at it will run you dry. By the way, the car will not heal itself. If a warning comes up on the dash, something has triggered it and it will return sooner or later.

These are wonderful cars, Airmatic requires patience and understanding.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 06-25-2017, 02:14 PM

I'm beginning to suspect it may be the pump contributing to this as well. Its actually a bit louder than before. The shop says the pump will go soon but its not as bad but you're right, the pump maybe timing out sooner than it should giving not enough pressure to sustain it. What really bothers me is that why is it only the right side? it only sinks partially onto the right but not fully that it would automatically indicate a failed strut.
Typically, if I have a leak the car would be sunk all the way. It almost seems like the car accepts this as normal. No messages popped up before I had this fixed. Hence, it maybe a calibration issue. So the repair included this plus all 3 sensors being replaced.
when I picked up the car, it was level. After driving it for a while I noticed the right rear is now back to its previous level when parked overnight, its lower.

I've read all relevant resources available on this and yeah it requires a lot of patience. I'm hoping this forum can help me out throughout this car's life. I just want not to rely too much and be at the mercy of what my Indy shop or dealer tells me. Can't help but sometimes whatever they say trickles to dollar signs and a well scripted approach to diagnosis and repair. Anyway, my next step is the pump and calibration.