Just got a s430/ where do I buy stuff?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
s430
Just got a s430/ where do I buy stuff?

Hello All,

I just bought a 2001 S430 Sedan as my first Mercedes. I bought it from a local junkyard for a fair $1200, and drove it home, issues to come.
Right away, I am surprised at all the information on them. Almost every problem I have googled so far has returned a mountain of information on how to fix the problem.

I'm still researching everything I can find wrong with the car, but I've run into an issue on where to source parts. I am too busy to be able to go to a Dealer, as there is not one local to me, and I haven't had any luck at finding a way to order parts from them online. Can I trust re-sellers claiming to sell OEM parts? Or are there any in particular that are recommended?
I'm currently looking for the Hood Emblem, Drivers sun visor, new seat skins, as well as components to fix the interior drivers door handle.

Just for fun, here's the issues list so far: battery drains, sunroof wont work, airmatic leaks, instrument cluster isnt working, cupholders are broken, rear ashtray lid broken, trunk leaks air, trunk latch not right, secondary air fault, drivers door wont open from inside, drivers sun visor wont stay up, climate control buttons worn, abs light on, air vent(s) broken, seats worn, arm rest worn, interior trim pieces missing, headlamp switch worn, steering wheel worn, possible water leak in doors/sunroof, drivers door not sealing correctly.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
2013 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by OhYou_
Hello All,

I just bought a 2001 S430 Sedan as my first Mercedes. I bought it from a local junkyard for a fair $1200, and drove it home, issues to come.
Right away, I am surprised at all the information on them. Almost every problem I have googled so far has returned a mountain of information on how to fix the problem.

I'm still researching everything I can find wrong with the car, but I've run into an issue on where to source parts. I am too busy to be able to go to a Dealer, as there is not one local to me, and I haven't had any luck at finding a way to order parts from them online. Can I trust re-sellers claiming to sell OEM parts? Or are there any in particular that are recommended?
I'm currently looking for the Hood Emblem, Drivers sun visor, new seat skins, as well as components to fix the interior drivers door handle.

Just for fun, here's the issues list so far: battery drains, sunroof wont work, airmatic leaks, instrument cluster isnt working, cupholders are broken, rear ashtray lid broken, trunk leaks air, trunk latch not right, secondary air fault, drivers door wont open from inside, drivers sun visor wont stay up, climate control buttons worn, abs light on, air vent(s) broken, seats worn, arm rest worn, interior trim pieces missing, headlamp switch worn, steering wheel worn, possible water leak in doors/sunroof, drivers door not sealing correctly.
I do have a new OEM Hood Emblem but it is the flat one and not the star. Kinda more sporty. Let me know if you are interested. As far as dealers on line go, i always deal with www.oediscountparts.com They only sell OEM parts with good prices. The rest of the issues are well known W220 issues and there is plenty of threads on each one. I recently had my cluster worked on and was very happy with the service that i received from www.mbcluster.com They are in Canada and the guys name is James. Plenty of youtube videos on his services. Great guy to work with and very reasonable. Also it was a breeze to get it fixed and i am in US. It took about 5 bussines days for the whole ordeal from the day that he received it and the day i got it back.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by doni01
I do have a new OEM Hood Emblem but it is the flat one and not the star. Kinda more sporty. Let me know if you are interested. As far as dealers on line go, i always deal with www.oediscountparts.com They only sell OEM parts with good prices. The rest of the issues are well known W220 issues and there is plenty of threads on each one. I recently had my cluster worked on and was very happy with the service that i received from www.mbcluster.com They are in Canada and the guys name is James. Plenty of youtube videos on his services. Great guy to work with and very reasonable. Also it was a breeze to get it fixed and i am in US. It took about 5 bussines days for the whole ordeal from the day that he received it and the day i got it back.
for most of those parts the cheapest place is Ebay to buy good used parts

good places to buy new parts are rockauto.com and fcpeuro.com Fcp offers a lifetime warranty in all parts
Old 01-29-2018, 07:47 PM

2013 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tusabes

good places to buy new parts are rockauto.com and fcpeuro.com Fcp offers a lifetime warranty in all parts
Sorry I don't buy used but even if I did I would not trust e-bay.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:54 PM

s430
I saw your PM yeah, I'm looking for the star. The instrument cluster isn't a big deal for me, just gotta replace a few mosfets it seems. Why Mercedes even used CCFL lamps is beyond me.
I checked out that site, and it is just what I was looking for. I'll put in a small order and see how it goes.
Thanks.

I see many listings for OEM parts on ebay and amazon new, I just don't know if I can trust them. I definitely go ebay for used unless I can get it from a local junkyard though.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Sorry I don't buy used but even if I did I would not trust e-bay.
you're going to buy new interior parts for a junkyard $1200 Benz?

Maybe for mechanical parts you want to buy new , but for body parts and interior parts they will cost thousands new , and the only reasonable way to go is eBay or junkyards
Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 AM

2013 S550 4MATIC

Maybe for mechanical parts you want to buy new , but for body parts and interior parts they will cost thousands new , and the only reasonable way to go is eBay or junkyards
Tusabes,

I was talking mechanical parts as there is a lot of Oem fake's on ebay. But if i needed some used I would go to my local junkyard and pull it off.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:18 AM

s430

at $210+ for a sun visor, apparently I'm not. But for plasticy bits and things, it looks to be decent on price.

I did a bit of work to it last night. I fixed the door handle, the cable had fallen out of place.
I also did a bit more inspecting, and I appear to be missing parts here. I believe the front cabin air duct, part no. 2208300144, and maybe pollutant sensor part no. 2118300472, but I'm not sure if anything else is gone.
https://i.imgur.com/1BIIWQH.jpg

Edit: looked on ebay and quickly found an air duct for sale with the sensor still attached, and the cover for it. 45 bucks shipped, hopefully its not broken.

Last edited by OhYou_; 01-30-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 clk 320 w/ 17 aftermarket et38 on 225/45/17 all around using 7mm front and 20mm rear spacers.
$1000 craigslist s430 purchase 3/03/2018

Check the trunk for water under the CD player there is a drain plug and the Mercedes dealership didn't mention it to the previous owner of my s430 and now i need a CD changer or my radio and steering wheel won't even work. I just paid $1000 for mine with 163k
I need to replace
Air filters
Battery
Cd changer
Driver tail light (looking let me know in Seattle WA 98102)
Front drivers left fender (looking for brilliant silver)
Drivers door window cracked and off track (could use door too has damages)
Windshield
reverse lights don't work
Brights lights don't work
brake wear sensor error from previous owner did brakes but didn't know how to install sensors
Had to jump new battery this morning so could be a draining issue. Alternator? Keep me posted on your fix if that's a issue your having as well.
Transmission flush planning on DIY there is WIS write up on this forum (search 722.6 flush)
(Ordered 12 quarts shell 134 ATF off ebay for $88 and bought additional 6 at. Off CL.org $22)

Last edited by 2oCLKoo; 03-25-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Look hard for a "pull-a-part" yard near you that has a W220 or similar cars - the parts prices there will be unbelievable.
Decide if you really want a working CD changer - if not you can buy very cheap connectors for the fiber optics cable and bypass the dead changer.
Don't forget the cabin air filters.
Don't buy a cheap battery - the W220 needs a good battery.
Make certain that the Airmatic air filter in the right front wheel well is in place and reasonably clean - it is just a small inline fuel filter. Check the rubber line between the filter and the pump very carefully.
Check in the tool kit for the fuse chart - if not there, they are available online. When it says "electronic fuse", that means that there is no fuse. The computer checks the circuit for improper current draw, and shuts it off if the current flow is wrong. This includes the headlamps, so start by checking for bad bulbs, etc.
There are dozens of threads on current drains - read them all.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 clk 320 w/ 17 aftermarket et38 on 225/45/17 all around using 7mm front and 20mm rear spacers.
Cd changer took a swim part 2

I am doing my daily research
Luckily the car has not drained since I found the CD changer dipped in the pool of water in the trunk.
Why didn't Mercedes Benz dealers think to tell the previous owner that there is a plug and needs to be pulled out because of heavy Seattle rain ? I don't get that.

After I took the CD player out or UN plugged it somewhat and drained the car started up fine the next morning.

Now I'm worried about the air suspension. Doing research. Is it normal to get a quick flash of red that says car is too low and do not drive? Then it goes away and only minor warning kept blinking like reverse lights needing to be replaced the normal can bus errors messages etc. But nothing more about the air suspension. . just curious if everyone gets that warning when they first start their vehicle. When I'm driving it doesn't turn on everytime just once in the mornings. Thanks for replies.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by 2oCLKoo
I am doing my daily research
Luckily the car has not drained since I found the CD changer dipped in the pool of water in the trunk.
Why didn't Mercedes Benz dealers think to tell the previous owner that there is a plug and needs to be pulled out because of heavy Seattle rain ? I don't get that.

After I took the CD player out or UN plugged it somewhat and drained the car started up fine the next morning.

Now I'm worried about the air suspension. Doing research. Is it normal to get a quick flash of red that says car is too low and do not drive? Then it goes away and only minor warning kept blinking like reverse lights needing to be replaced the normal can bus errors messages etc. But nothing more about the air suspension. . just curious if everyone gets that warning when they first start their vehicle. When I'm driving it doesn't turn on everytime just once in the mornings. Thanks for replies.
first of all, you need to completely dry out the electronics as any further moisture will short out the car . It dried out enough to start but it's still wet , and wet electronics start shorting when power is applied and car is driven

second no it's not normal to see red airmatic warning in the first start of the day . The system likely has a leak somewhere and it gets pumped up when you start it . To find the leak spray soapy water in the strut tops , look for bubbles . That's the most common leak area . If not on the strut tops it might be a cracked air line or leaky strut
Old 03-27-2018, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Yes, you almost certainly have at least one leak somewhere in the Airmatic system. There are numerous possibilities for a leak, and it is imperative that you find the leak, rather than starting to replace parts at random.

The first thing that I would do would be to get a tape measure or yardstick and a notepad. On a suitable day off, with the car parked in a reasonably level area where it won't need to be moved that day, begin by measuring from the ground to the fender lip at each wheel and writing the measurements in the notepad. Then start the engine and let it run for fifteen minutes or so. Remeasure at each wheel and write down the measurements. Go out every couple of hours and repeat the process. By the end of the day, you should be able to see a pattern that will tell you whether one corner is dropping, and which it is, or whether all four corners are dropping and how quickly the droppage happens. This will help determine whether the leak is a strut/air line to a strut, or whether it is in the valve block, etc.

Until then, reading thru this will help you to understand the system enough to start to diagnose and repair it. https://w220.ee/Airmatic

Repairing and maintaining the Airmatic system is well within the capabilities of a reasonably competent DIYer, and there are folks on here who will be happy to give technical assistance.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
530i, C300,
Thank you, Tracy