Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > S-Class (W220)
S500 does not start or recognise the key >

S500 does not start or recognise the key

Notices
S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S500 does not start or recognise the key

 
Old 04-23-2018, 01:52 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 mercedes Benz S500
Exclamation S500 does not start or crank when key is in the ignition

I have a 2001 S500 and the other day I disconnected the battery thinking it would solve the window problem I've been having; it didn't. so facing that fact I reconnected the battery, turned it back on and when then I got the visit workshop warning pop up for the ABS, ESP and Airmatic. So I turned it off and left it alone for a week and when I tried to turn it back on it just cranked but wouldn't turn over, so I pulled the starter fuse and replaced it with one that could take the equal amount of current that I took from the left S.A.M. module, and then I tried to start it again. This time the car didn't even register that the was in the ignition, nothing. I can turn it all the way but nope nothing. I tried using my spare key but that didn't work. I know my voltage isn't the problem, but I will probably replace the battery anyway. At this point I'm really lost and need any help I can get.

Last edited by Out The Benz; 04-30-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: why do you care lmao
Out The Benz is offline  
Old 04-23-2018, 06:40 PM
  #2  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,908
Received 589 Likes on 572 Posts
1999 E300TD
You can't have it both ways---if the key turns------it aint the key., if the key doesent turn it could be the key or the ignition module----an expensive trip therefore i would have the car quick tested to define which one is faulty or continue on your FUUA approach and get nothing done!!
Plutoe is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 mercedes Benz S500
Originally Posted by Plutoe View Post
You can't have it both ways---if the key turns------it aint the key., if the key doesent turn it could be the key or the ignition module----an expensive trip therefore i would have the car quick tested to define which one is faulty or continue on your FUUA approach and get nothing done!!
What I meant by it not recognizing the key was that when i put the key in the ignition and turn it nothing happens, no display lights turn on.. nothing and i'm sure its not the key or the EIS because i have a spare key and that one doesn't work ether, and the car only has 20k miles so i doubt the EIS is the problem, therefore im at a loss.
Out The Benz is offline  
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 PM
  #4  
Out Of Control!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 11,908
Received 589 Likes on 572 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you are resisting to do a good quick test on the ignition system then all you are going to get is WAG---have you tested, not looked at,but tested the starting relay and or fuse. Have you applied voltage directly to the starter to determine its state---if not, then get off the couch and start testing rather than hoping for a two state solution to solve your problem, because it won't!!
Plutoe is offline  
Old 05-01-2018, 01:21 PM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 mercedes Benz S500
Cool Think Twice

Originally Posted by Plutoe View Post
If you are resisting to do a good quick test on the ignition system then all you are going to get is WAG---have you tested, not looked at,but tested the starting relay and or fuse. Have you applied voltage directly to the starter to determine its state---if not, then get off the couch and start testing rather than hoping for a two state solution to solve your problem, because it won't!!
I'd like to get one thing straight, the last thing that i've been doing this past week has been "sitting on the couch". the moment i get home from school im troubleshooting and working on the odds and ends of my benz. I spend hours on w220 forums trying to find a solution, but have come up empty handed, and by no means do i stop and "sit on the couch". whenever i hit a dead end, i just try something different. and To answer your question yea i have replaced the relay, and done much more. Yet what do i get when i ask for bit of knowledge? absolutely nothing except for dumbass over here talking to me like i'm some degenerate that "sits on the couch" all day and throws insults my way like i don't know what i'm doing. Well you are mistaken.
Out The Benz is offline  
Old 05-01-2018, 01:45 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,066
Likes: 0
Received 179 Likes on 174 Posts
Mercedes
I think what he meant is you need to do a proper scanning using a STAR machine , not just trying random stuff like pulling fuses and switching them around . Trying random stuff is what is causing your more electrical problems

at this point if you haven't been driving the car and the alternator hasn't been charging the battery it is likely drained to the point it can't start the car. When these batteries drain they don't sound like other cars with dead batteries that crank slow , they don't crank at all

or maybe you blew the main fuses under the passenger cArpet

be careful if you try to jump start as you can do much more damage
tusabes is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Out The Benz (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 02:12 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 mercedes Benz S500
.

Last edited by Out The Benz; 05-01-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: .
Out The Benz is offline  
Old 05-01-2018, 02:16 PM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 mercedes Benz S500
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
I think what he meant is you need to do a proper scanning using a STAR machine , not just trying random stuff like pulling fuses and switching them around . Trying random stuff is what is causing your more electrical problems

at this point if you haven't been driving the car and the alternator hasn't been charging the battery it is likely drained to the point it can't start the car. When these batteries drain they don't sound like other cars with dead batteries that crank slow , they don't crank at all

or maybe you blew the main fuses under the passenger cArpet

be careful if you try to jump start as you can do much more damage
I completely understand that the battery can drain, that's why i have it hooked up to a trickle charger with the battery at about 13v, and no i haven't been pulling random fuses out. the only fuse i've messed with was the starter relay, which i replaced. I have also checked all the fuse box locations including the two hidden ones under the passenger footwell and the one in the trunk and those "main fuses" seem to be fine. I have also looked at and checked countless other parts with no luck, but i sure as hell am not going to give up and "sit on the couch".

Last edited by Out The Benz; 05-01-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: why do u care
Out The Benz is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S500 does not start or recognise the key


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: