S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2003 s600 v12 problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s600 v12 (w220)
2003 s600 v12 problems

Hello everyone , I have a 2003 s 600 with 135k miles. I recently had to have ignition switch replace as well as the shifter module replaced.
a month later I'm having some more problems .
I will describe what is going on in as much detail as possible and see if i get some input on whats going on. I dont have star and if I have to take it go the dealer I will but trying not to. This is what's going on,
I turn my key all the way to position 2 , everything seems fine , when i attempt to start , nothing. If I leave key in position 2 for about 10 mins , abc light and ride hight light will illuminate , (they are off when I first attempt to start car)when car is started for about 4 seconds , and light come on and check engine light come on, reads display defective , and front radiator fan comes on and off at high speed. I can put it in drive and revearse . speedometer not working , coolant level gauge not working . can't see gear in gear selector , fuel gauge works . that's pretty much what I'm experiencing at the moment . I had to replace rear speed sensors few months ago and experienced similar symptoms.
I know I have to get my front brake pads done asap but I never had a brake message on. Thanks everyone
Old 06-04-2018, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 405 Likes on 349 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
The description of the problem isn't very clear...

"I recently had to have ignition switch replace as well as shifter module replaced."
Exactly what was the "ignition switch" that was replaced? Who replaced it? The ignition module and shifter module are theft-prevention modules, and replacement of just those two modules is normally a complex, expensive dealer-only operation. Replacing all of the theft-prevention modules and the keys from one donor vehicle is possible. What was done? By whom?

When you attempt to start the car "nothing". Do you mean exactly that?
Then you say "...when the car is started for about four seconds,..." If nothing happens, how is the car started?

After the car starts, "...and light come on..." What light comes on?
Check Engine light comes on - is there an error message? EXACT wording?

You can put it in Drive or Reverse - is the car driveable?

You had to replace rear speed sensors a few months ago and experienced similar symptoms - Did the symptoms go away? What was done to cure the problem that time?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
You have some sort of CAN problem, is there any water intrusion into the car? I wouldn't waste time with it, go to the dealer or a good independent shop with SDS, this needs to be troubleshot properly to avoid throwing parts at it.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Fan running on high indicated a bad ecu

you need to get 4 parts taken from the similar donor car - key ecu shifter and ignition switch . All 4 parts must be Changed not just 1 or 2