Stupid problem with Air conditioning fuses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
W221 S500 4matic, W220 S500
Stupid problem with Air conditioning fuses

Hello,
I've bought W220 S500 2000 from Germany, and seller told to middleman (I don't speak german), that he has removed fuses for AC for the winter (I don't know his reasoning, but he always did so), and put it into armrest.
I've found these two fuses 10 and 15, but I've gone thru all available fuse diagrams on internet, and I couldn't find free places where to put these fuses in.

BTW it doesn't have cockpit fuse box.

Could You take a look at my fuse boxes in engine compartment and tell me where to put in fuses for AC?

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
biker349 (10-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
s430
I'm pretty sure they should go in the interior fuse box, in the right side rear passenger foot area, behind the plastic lamp surround.

Why would someone do this when it would effectively defeat the windshield defroster. and there's the Eco mode button which disables the compressor anyway.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by OhYou_
I'm pretty sure they should go in the interior fuse box, in the right side rear passenger foot area, behind the plastic lamp surround.

Why would someone do this when it would effectively defeat the windshield defroster. and there's the Eco mode button which disables the compressor anyway.
Nope. It's not there, either. I have attached fuse chart I'm using.

I don't know why would someone do that, but I know, that I should never underestimate people's creativity.

BUT, if he told that story, I should at least try to believe it. I found these fuses in armrest, so they have to go somewhere.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuse chart A0005451600 (1).pdf (465.3 KB, 484 views)

Last edited by Simonas.st; 06-05-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 PM

s430
The only other fuse panel that I know of is this one in the dash, but I am not sure of the model change differences or what cars have this. it really seems undocumented.

all of the documentation makes no mention of fuses aside from the blower motor fuse and the rear climate control if fitted. the control module and most of it's functions is just powered by the main dash power or something, there isnt a specific fuse for it.
What is not working, does your display work and can you cycle through all the settings, vent positions, everything? Just no compressor or cold air?

Try the diagnostic mode, hold rest button for 10 seconds, then use drivers temp selector to scroll through the options. there's a list somewhere of what these do but look specifically for one measured in bar, this will be your refrigerant pressure, if it's at 0 or less than 1,5 then you have a physical issue with the system. the diagnostic readout should also give you voltages for specific points in the system and may narrow it down.
The following 2 users liked this post by OhYou_:
biker349 (10-05-2021), Simonas.st (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 01:50 PM

The only other fuse panel that I know of is this one in the dash, but I am not sure of the model change differences or what cars have this. it really seems undocumented.

all of the documentation makes no mention of fuses aside from the blower motor fuse and the rear climate control if fitted. the control module and most of it's functions is just powered by the main dash power or something, there isnt a specific fuse for it.
What is not working, does your display work and can you cycle through all the settings, vent positions, everything? Just no compressor or cold air?

Try the diagnostic mode, hold rest button for 10 seconds, then use drivers temp selector to scroll through the options. there's a list somewhere of what these do but look specifically for one measured in bar, this will be your refrigerant pressure, if it's at 0 or less than 1,5 then you have a physical issue with the system. the diagnostic readout should also give you voltages for specific points in the system and may narrow it down.
There's no fuses there. I have checked both sides.

I've entered secret menu, as You've advised. It shows 7.3 bar, so no problem there. It's around 100 lines, so I don't know where to look, basically it shows temperatures and 1.4V at one point. Could You tell me where to look?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:59 PM

s430
This thread contains a ton of information and some features I did not even know about like to read out the actual faut codes which is exactly what we need to do.
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...c-choke-3.html

Specifically this post:
1) hold rest and particle filter buttons down together for about 5 seconds ( ignition on , or engine running)
The air con screen shows "searching"
2) the screen gives you the fault codes. Scroll up and down to see them all using the heat toggle switch.
3) pop out the left and right auto vent buttoms, then press the the left one in first, and then the right one. The system resets.
4) ignition off, then back on again , and the air con screen is back to normal.
low freon is code 1241

Edit, here is the full list of codes and description, they will be under Body section.
http://www.bba-reman.com/us/content....on_fault_codes

7.3bar is plenty though so it may be another different fault code.

Last edited by OhYou_; 06-05-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:20 PM

This thread contains a ton of information and some features I did not even know about like to read out the actual faut codes which is exactly what we need to do.
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...c-choke-3.html

Specifically this post:
1) hold rest and particle filter buttons down together for about 5 seconds ( ignition on , or engine running)
The air con screen shows "searching"
2) the screen gives you the fault codes. Scroll up and down to see them all using the heat toggle switch.
3) pop out the left and right auto vent buttoms, then press the the left one in first, and then the right one. The system resets.
4) ignition off, then back on again , and the air con screen is back to normal.
low freon is code 1241

Edit, here is the full list of codes and description, they will be under Body section.
http://www.bba-reman.com/us/content....on_fault_codes

7.3bar is plenty though so it may be another different fault code.

Tried it now as well. Doesn't show any fault codes. Only ---------.
biker349 (10-05-2021)
Old 07-24-2019, 02:25 PM

It is solved now.

I don't know any history or reason behind, but there was separate red wire running parallel fender under the hood, which had fuse socket. (it is visible in first picture, running out of fuse box). Put fuse in there. Voila! Working.
biker349 (10-05-2021)