water pump and belt change, anything else

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 04:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
s500 2006
water pump and belt change, anything else

Hello all!

I'm planning to do a belt change. I thought I would do the water pump and expansion tank while i was there. Is there any other "while i'm here" items to do while I'm tackling the water pump and belts/tensioner? Thank you for your help.
It's a 2006 s500 base.

Hoses look ok so i dont plan to change those, am I wrong?

Kevin
Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Preemptive maintenance is very much a personal choice. If there were no symptoms of possible problems with the pump or the tank, I would not change them. Your car, your time and money, your choice.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Mercedes-Benz S430, S500, S600, and E320 CDI
@wallyp is correct; that's a personal choice.

I replaced the water pump on the wife's 2000 S500. The reason was that when at idle, we were getting higher-than-normal temperatures. Moving, the engine stayed cool. After installing the new water pump (OE, by the way), the temperatures came back down to normal.

For your hoses, they should of course be pliable. However, beyond that, there's any extra-softness in them, then change them. It's most likely to be the hoses where the coolant comes right out of the engine, e. g. your upper hose. Don't forget to check out the hose going to your heater core; many people forget that one, and it too has hot coolant straight from the engine.

Look at your idler pulleys. If they're making any noise, they're $4.50 at FCPEuro for the OE (INA) pulleys; just go ahead and swap 'em. Same for your belt tensioner pulley; if it's making any noise, time to change it out. Turns out that eEuroparts.com has the Bosch pulley by itself, which is less $$ than the entire belt tensioner assembly. That pulley is easily replaceable.

How long has it been since the coolant has been exchanged? Your car is now 13 to 14 years old, and if it's the original coolant, then we're coming up on the MB-recommended time to replace it (15 years). If it's the original coolant and tank, then I'd suggest going to an online M-B dealer (e. g. MBOemParts.com or oemercedesbenzparts.com or similar) and getting the Genuine-MB tank. It's about $11 more than the "Behr OEM" tank, which is MADE IN CHINA (I found that out the hard way). The reason for replacing the coolant tank is because they come with new chemical packs that help prolong the life of the coolant. The chem pack in your existing one is probably getting up there right about now.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:18 PM

s500 2006
Originally Posted by wallyp
Preemptive maintenance is very much a personal choice. If there were no symptoms of possible problems with the pump or the tank, I would not change them. Your car, your time and money, your choice.
Thank you Wallyp.
The only symptom is a crack in the expansion tank and a ripped belt. maybe ill hold off on the water pump for now, as the engine temps are as it should be.

kevin
Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM

s500 2006
Originally Posted by cowboyt
@wallyp is correct; that's a personal choice.

I replaced the water pump on the wife's 2000 S500. The reason was that when at idle, we were getting higher-than-normal temperatures. Moving, the engine stayed cool. After installing the new water pump (OE, by the way), the temperatures came back down to normal.

For your hoses, they should of course be pliable. However, beyond that, there's any extra-softness in them, then change them. It's most likely to be the hoses where the coolant comes right out of the engine, e. g. your upper hose. Don't forget to check out the hose going to your heater core; many people forget that one, and it too has hot coolant straight from the engine.

Look at your idler pulleys. If they're making any noise, they're $4.50 at FCPEuro for the OE (INA) pulleys; just go ahead and swap 'em. Same for your belt tensioner pulley; if it's making any noise, time to change it out. Turns out that eEuroparts.com has the Bosch pulley by itself, which is less $$ than the entire belt tensioner assembly. That pulley is easily replaceable.

How long has it been since the coolant has been exchanged? Your car is now 13 to 14 years old, and if it's the original coolant, then we're coming up on the MB-recommended time to replace it (15 years). If it's the original coolant and tank, then I'd suggest going to an online M-B dealer (e. g. MBOemParts.com or oemercedesbenzparts.com or similar) and getting the Genuine-MB tank. It's about $11 more than the "Behr OEM" tank, which is MADE IN CHINA (I found that out the hard way). The reason for replacing the coolant tank is because they come with new chemical packs that help prolong the life of the coolant. The chem pack in your existing one is probably getting up there right about now.

Thank you CowboyT.
I just got the car, so im assuming it's been a while since the fluid is changed. are may change the tensioner along with the pulley for peace of mind. So it looks like 1 tensioner and 2 pulleys right?

As for the tank, I did not know the OE tank has chemical packs inside! Good to know! I was about to order the Meyle one from FCP Euro.

The reason I ask about the water pump is that it costs 85$ and I'm halfway there when I change the belts and flush the coolant. Same story with the thermostat.
Whats the normal life of the water pump? I thought all cars should have the water pump changed after 60k miles.

Kevin
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (09-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
AFAIK, mine now has about 254k miles on it.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 PM

s500 2006
Originally Posted by wallyp
AFAIK, mine now has about 254k miles on it.
Wow!
that would never fly on a BMW. The bearings of the water pump would fail at 100K max.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Mercedes-Benz S430, S500, S600, and E320 CDI
On the wife's car, it was at about 142,000 miles. Interestingly, the water pumps on our other W220's are OK. The S600 TT recently clicked over 175,000 miles on it, and that car's water pump seems to be fine. On Hondas, we change it with the timing belt, which means every 90,000 to 105,000 miles, depending on model. But since I'm doing coolant work on that car anyway (one of the M279 upgrades, the one for the intercooler circuit), and doing hoses, I might do the water pump as well, just for paranoia.

Both the Meyle and Behr tanks *do* have the chemical pack in them; I have a Meyle tank installed in the wife's car as well. I didn't realize until after purchase that the Meyle tank is also CHINESIUM, just like Behr's tank. Yep, "Made In China". Ugh....anyway, the S600 TT's getting a genuine-MB tank with its coolant service; I already have the tank.

Sounds like you've got it with the pulleys and the tensioner. It's not really that hard to replace the tensioner, either, but the idler pulleys are totally easy.

Last edited by cowboyt; 09-17-2019 at 10:45 AM.