S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic pump starts then quits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Airmatic pump starts then quits

2004 S430, Car too low do not drive warning message on dash, car sits all the way down on the suspension. When I start the car the airmatic pump comes on and runs for about a minute or less then quits and does not come back on, does not raise the car at all if I turn off and restart the car the pump come on again few just a few seconds then quits. I have replaced the valve unit and the struts, I have sprayed soapy solution and checked for leaks at the pump and valve, I have removed the pump and run it on my bench, it runs and produces pressure (not sure exactly how much but it seems strong)any lead would be appreciated. I am thinking it is a pump problem but I do not have the star diagnostic system and am trying to use the process of elimination to diagnos (I know its the hard way). Any ideas would be appreciated and if anyone on the north fork of long island has a diagnostic tool they would be willing to help me with, that would be wonderful also.
I have read through many other posts but can't find this exact problem
Thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2021, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
https://w220.ee/Airmatic

You should have a Fuse/Relay chart in the tool kit inside the spare wheel. Use it to locate the relay ("O") for the Airmatic system. There should be a circuit diagram for the relay on the side of the relay. Locate the "30" Terminal in the relay socket. Locate the "87" Terminal in the relay socket. Check for battery voltage on Terminal 30 - if there, install a temporary jumper between Terminal 30 and Terminal 87. The Airmatic compressor should run. Let it run for three minutes or so - the car should rise noticeably. Note whether all four corners rise approximately equally. Note how quickly the car sinks, and on which corner.

Tell us exactly what you did, step by step, in sequence, and exactly what the results were at each step.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:55 AM

S430
Brilliant, thank you. I will do that and report back

Originally Posted by wallyp

You should have a Fuse/Relay chart in the tool kit inside the spare wheel. Use it to locate the relay ("O") for the Airmatic system. There should be a circuit diagram for the relay on the side of the relay. Locate the "30" Terminal in the relay socket. Locate the "87" Terminal in the relay socket. Check for battery voltage on Terminal 30 - if there, install a temporary jumper between Terminal 30 and Terminal 87. The Airmatic compressor should run. Let it run for three minutes or so - the car should rise noticeably. Note whether all four corners rise approximately equally. Note how quickly the car sinks, and on which corner.

Tell us exactly what you did, step by step, in sequence, and exactly what the results were at each step.
Spoiler

Old 01-10-2021, 01:42 PM

S430
Airmatic

Originally Posted by jsconsiglio
Spoiler

ok, I found the relay, removed it and installed jumper. The airmatic pump came on and i let it run for 3 minutes, nothing happened. I then started the engine and repeated the process with the engine running (thinking it may affect the control system), still nothing happened. I removed the jumper and the pump of course stopped running. What next?
Old 01-10-2021, 01:51 PM

S430
I also removed the airlines from the valve and applied shop air, approx. 100 psi, to each strut line, this also did not do anything, and when I took the shop air hose away from each strut line I could hear and feel the air coming back out of each line.
I would think if i applied compressed air directly to the strut that it would raise, is this not correct?
Old 01-10-2021, 03:05 PM

S430

ok I removed the relay and installed the jumper, the pump ran for three minutes and did not lift the car at all. I then started the engine and did the same thing, the pump ran again for three minutes until I removed the jumper, again it had no affect on vehicle height. I also removed each air line from the distribution valve and applied about 100psi shop air to each line going to the struts, this also had no affect. When I removed the shop air nozzle from the lines each one of them released air for several seconds so I believe the struts are not leaking, they are all less than three years old anyway. I was surprised that the shop compressor did not lift any of the struts. Not enough pressure? Or is there something I don’t know about how they work? Any suggestions as to what to do next.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
Yes, you should have seen some effect from the air pressure applied directly to the lines going to the struts.

How long did you leave the shop air pressure on each line? A few seconds? That is a small line going a long distance - it will take some time (perhaps three or four minutes) to see or feel that corner lifting, especially if the system is totally depressurized. Try giving each strut more time to react.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:23 AM

S430
Yes, you should have seen some effect from the air pressure applied directly to the lines going to the struts.

How long did you leave the shop air pressure on each line? A few seconds? That is a small line going a long distance - it will take some time (perhaps three or four minutes) to see or feel that corner lifting, especially if the system is totally depressurized. Try giving each strut more time to react.
ok I’ll do that
Old 01-12-2021, 11:18 AM

S430
I applied shop air pressure for 5 minutes with no results, I'm thinking its not enough pressure, I don't hear any hissing or air leaking anywhere.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 S500 2007 GL450
Normal Airmatic minimum operating pressure is about 165 psi. My shop air pressure is about 125 psi max. I would have expected some visible reaction with 100 psi - but I've never had reason to try it and see.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:23 AM

S430
hmm, me too, thx Wally. I will keep trying.