2002 S500 with 14k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 with 14k miles

hey guys,

i was just passing by a caddilac dealership today and saw a black on black 2002 S500. Just has 14000 miles.
Heated seats, xenon, the usual ...
Has 18" AMG monoblok wheels.

The dealer is offering it for 52999, but I got a final quote of 52000.

Do you think it is a good price?

Im thinking of getting it...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:59 AM

W220
Red face

Hi
Get the full list of options installed (i.e. heated seats and xenons - are standard on this model, AMG wheels you noticed - is it part of AMG Sport Package or just rims instaleed???).
Another thing - if its sold by non-MB dealer, you won't get Starmark (additional 1 yr and 12k miles on top of the manufacturer's warranty).

So if there no options added (besides AMG rims), considering the outstanding condition and low mileage, I would ask for another $2500-$3k off the quoted price as a retail buyer...
Old 11-18-2004, 01:08 PM

too many to list
hey Timoc like DMI said look for the options and i think its a bit over priced aswell so ask for another 1500 off u will get that if you initially ask for 3Gs off thats the way they work. some options that you really would want is Parktronic, Wooden Steering Wheel and Shift Knob, and a Rear Sunshade. they also cost some money and are hard to find but without these i dont think any s-class is complete, also keep in mind that the only reason you found this vehicle in a Caddilac dealership is because it didnt pass the star certification which means that it failed one or all of the 4 major things that iam listing

1 owner
No Accidents ever reported
*$$$ to be spent on car to re condition completely.
Services missed from dealership

* if the vehicle requires a significant amount of money to get star certification more than 8Gs MB would not take the car

so even though the mileage on the vehicle is very low keep in mind the options and the possibility that one or all four of those things might have not passed.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks for the advice guys.

i think i am going to pass on that car and look for something direct from a MB dealer that has all the things checked out. I am hoping the starmark thing is worth the extra price because I've heard people spendng hundreds to thousands every time they visit the service on used S-class.

tim
Old 11-18-2004, 03:52 PM

W220
Exclamation

Yep!

I agree with pretty much everything Lexino said.
One thing regarding the car location:
There is a big chance that the car didn't pass Starmark requirement - yes.
But there also another point...
Off-lease cars - that (even if they are financed by MB Credit) come to the auction and MB dealers do not have any priority vs other dealers, by other words, any licensed dealer getting cars at the same auction as MB dealers.
On the other hand this car also could be a trade-in for a Cadillac (yes, there are dumbasses like that )

RE: Options
Wooden steering wheel & shift knob – must be there options (IMHO). Yet you can add them for around $700-$900 after purchase the vehicle.
Rear shade – the rear window shade is standard on all S-Class W220. The Rear Side Window rollers – is very nice feature (but if you tint your glass – it loses it’s effect)

RE: Car Purchase
Investigate how the dealer got the car.
Check CarFax, VMI records (available at any MB dealership – usually done when you bring the car to MB dealer for pre-purchase inspection).
Pay attention to the notes noted by Lexino.

Good Luck!

Old 11-18-2004, 03:56 PM

W220
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by timoc42
thanks for the advice guys.

i think i am going to pass on that car and look for something direct from a MB dealer that has all the things checked out. I am hoping the starmark thing is worth the extra price because I've heard people spendng hundreds to thousands every time they visit the service on used S-class.

tim
RE: MB Service - expect to pay at least $200 just for visiting MB stealership and minor things like oil change (i.e. the real cost is about $80-$90 using MB original parts and non-MB rated labor).
Old 11-19-2004, 08:55 AM

too many to list
DMI here in Ontario, Canada the Rear Sunshade is an optional item my friend doesn't have it in his S5 but i paid around $300 extra for it.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2000 was the only year the shade was optional here in the states
Old 11-19-2004, 09:59 AM

W220
Arrow

Originally Posted by Lexino
DMI here in Ontario, Canada the Rear Sunshade is an optional item my friend doesn't have it in his S5 but i paid around $300 extra for it.
Hmmm... interesting...
I guess the Canada versions is more similar to European where you have to pick every option (well, almost) separately.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:01 PM

too many to list
Wink

DMI thats exactly the case here you have to pick every single options even the 6 disc Cd changer is optional. so i guess you guys are better off in the USA though iam pretty sure they probably work those out in the price for you guys somewhere nothing is for free!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 02:22 PM

W220
Red face

Originally Posted by Lexino
DMI thats exactly the case here you have to pick every single options even the 6 disc Cd changer is optional. so i guess you guys are better off in the USA though iam pretty sure they probably work those out in the price for you guys somewhere nothing is for free!!!
=> Lexino
The funny part is that 6-Disc CD Changer is still an option in US (I believe on all MB cars, including S-Class)
You can see it here (on car configurator):
MBUSA
Old 11-19-2004, 04:32 PM

too many to list
wow a $123,000.00 car and a cd changer is optional which now a days is common on most mini vans..hehe