S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

An s500 I want to buy that has issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want drive a w220
DIY An s500 I want to buy that has issues

Ok, so it's not been long since I have joined this forum. The main reason I have joined in is to learn how to DIY my car maintenance and repairs, to learn more about how cars work in general, to be a knowledgable man in this area. I have a little 20 months old son and he loves anything car related as well, so this will be my legacy for him. I am an eager man and will do whatever I need to be good in what I do, if I put my mind to it. Enough chit chat about me.

I have read various forum posts from here and the other big mercedes forum and have come to conclusion that I need to DIY kit for my car. Any seasoned DIY'ers here that can point me to the right direction, your help will be appreciated. What should I do? I want to seriously cut the cost on repairs and routine maintenance and I know w220 is a DIY friendly car that is well documented, I just need the whole kit(lifting material as well) and experienced advice. I also think about buying a Star Diagnostic tool.

Last edited by Tech/No|Mad\maN; 05-26-2024 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
Welcome to the forum, so do you already have a S500 or are you looking to buy it? What exactly are the issues that it has?
As a first time owner, you probably don’t need star diagnostic, which will cost $600-800 has a very steep learning curve as much of the computer data is in German. You could accomplish more things with an -autel AP 200. The white one has no subscription fees in is $49 on Amazon. The black and red ones have subscription fees. These are not cars that you’re going to want to hand down to your child. First of all, they aren’t gonna want them as they are not cool cars. Second of all, parts are going to become very scarce in a few years. Right now there are plenty of used parts wrecked cars on eBay and in junk yards, but those will dry up in about 10 years. just like how finding parts from 1980s and 1990s Mercedes are very difficult now, it is going to be very difficult to find 2000s parts in about 10 years.
Old 05-26-2024, 02:01 PM

Want drive a w220
Originally Posted by tusabes
Welcome to the forum, so do you already have a S500 or are you looking to buy it? What exactly are the issues that it has?
As a first time owner, you probably don’t need star diagnostic, which will cost $600-800 has a very steep learning curve as much of the computer data is in German. You could accomplish more things with an -autel AP 200. The white one has no subscription fees in is $49 on Amazon. The black and red ones have subscription fees. These are not cars that you’re going to want to hand down to your child. First of all, they aren’t gonna want them as they are not cool cars. Second of all, parts are going to become very scarce in a few years. Right now there are plenty of used parts wrecked cars on eBay and in junk yards, but those will dry up in about 10 years. just like how finding parts from 1980s and 1990s Mercedes are very difficult now, it is going to be very difficult to find 2000s parts in about 10 years.
You are right. However, these cars tend to become classics, and if I maintain and care for it as best as I can, I can have a really good antique car on my hand. The problem that I have is, the part of the world I live in, cars are very FREAKING expensive and this is the best I can do, if I want to have a comfortable driving experience. I want to hand down to my child the skills I will have learnt DIY'ing my cars, not the car itself. W220 will be for my own pleasure for now. Maybe I will upgrade to a W221 in the future when my finances let me, but the point of this post is mostly about me learning how to DIY and the repair kits and tools that I might need doing it. Thanks for your opinion kind sir!
Old 05-26-2024, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 423 Posts
Mercedes
What country are you in
Old 05-27-2024, 12:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S55
Hello, for DIY work very helpful thing is to have MB EPC WIS ASRA
It's an older version of parts catalog, electrical drawings/documentation and everything related to MB. For W220 would say it's more then enough. Software helps find parts quicker and if facing electrical "gremlins", drawings comes to help.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:56 AM

Want drive a w220
Originally Posted by tusabes
What country are you in
I live in Turkey.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:35 AM

Want drive a w220
Originally Posted by suf3r
Hello, for DIY work very helpful thing is to have MB EPC WIS ASRA
It's an older version of parts catalog, electrical drawings/documentation and everything related to MB. For W220 would say it's more then enough. Software helps find parts quicker and if facing electrical "gremlins", drawings comes to help.
Hey bro, big thanks for this advice, this will surely help a lot, I will definitely download one when I actually start repairing my car. How about the actual toolkit? Like the wrenches and stuff.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S55
Nothing fancy, just regular stuff is enought.
If some fancy tool will be required, my mentioned program will have the code so will be able to google it.