S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Adding MP3 Player to 2005 S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding MP3 Player to 2005 S500

I just got a new S500, and was disappointed that despite having an "mp3" option on the audio screen, there is no "aux" input jack for hooking up my IPOD.
Does anyone have any info on where the MP3 connectors are? Also, is there an MP3 player that one can buy that actually integrates properly with the COMAND system (ie let's you select songs, etc)?
thanks.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:33 AM

too many to list
I thought on the new ones you could just pop in a CD with mp3's on it and the COMAND would play it for you. isn't that how it is?
Old 12-31-2004, 05:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
I'm reading that he doesn't want to burn CD's but just to use the IPOD.

He prob need some FM modulator installation.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:28 AM

I have a '94 S500. I was in the apple store yesterday. The sales staff explained that as between the fm transmitter and the cassett based input system for the ipod - - believe it or not the cassett based system is superior. He explained that the fm has interference, etc. He suggested a Monster Cable brand device...

Like you, I am thinking the 'MP3-CD' - selection on the audio system should mean there is an even better 'direct' way to connect the device.... I am searching around this site for some guidance. The most I have found is that there is an Aux input jack in the glovebox...not sure if that is different on each model year...and also not sure if that is best used with a professional installation. My goal is to have the Mercedes audio system recognize all the info (song name, artist) as well .....

I am shocked that Mercedes does not have good data out there on this .... It is the HOTTEST product on the planet and speaks to their demographic....

Let me know what you learn - - LG
Old 01-03-2005, 10:54 AM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by Laurence
I have a '94 S500. I was in the apple store yesterday. The sales staff explained that as between the fm transmitter and the cassett based input system for the ipod - - believe it or not the cassett based system is superior. He explained that the fm has interference, etc. He suggested a Monster Cable brand device...

Like you, I am thinking the 'MP3-CD' - selection on the audio system should mean there is an even better 'direct' way to connect the device.... I am searching around this site for some guidance. The most I have found is that there is an Aux input jack in the glovebox...not sure if that is different on each model year...and also not sure if that is best used with a professional installation. My goal is to have the Mercedes audio system recognize all the info (song name, artist) as well .....

I am shocked that Mercedes does not have good data out there on this .... It is the HOTTEST product on the planet and speaks to their demographic....

Let me know what you learn - - LG
Here's a few points of information that may be helpful to you:

- The glovebox aux input option differs on various models and in various years. Some have it and some don't.

- More recent versions of COMAND offer the ability for the systems to read burned CDs that have MP3s on them

- FM transmitters are often worse than a tape interface as interference is common and the broadcast power of the small FM transmitters is weak. Permanently instaled FM transmitters work better but still are not as good as a direct connection a la the aux line inputs.

- While the iPod is a very popular seller, MB is notoriously slow to uptake new creature comfort technologies. MBUSA still does not offer rear seat entertainment systems for the sedans like they do over in Europe and that option is certainly more desirable by consumers than an MP3 player interface.

- For some details on MP3 CD playback, see my previous posts covering testing I did on my 04 S55:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...401#post630401

Jeff
Old 01-03-2005, 10:56 AM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by Atherton
I just got a new S500, and was disappointed that despite having an "mp3" option on the audio screen, there is no "aux" input jack for hooking up my IPOD.
Does anyone have any info on where the MP3 connectors are? Also, is there an MP3 player that one can buy that actually integrates properly with the COMAND system (ie let's you select songs, etc)?
thanks.
No, there is no system that I'm aware of that will let you integrate any external MP3 device into your COMAND system (such that it will display song titles on the nav screen, etc).
Old 01-04-2005, 10:51 AM

W220
Exclamation MP3/iPod integration to W220

The one problem with my W220 is that CD changer is in the trunk and there are only 6 discs available at the time.
It is VERY annoing to stop, open the trunk, get that CD changer magazine and then replace the CD...
Just saw a very interesting solution for all W220 music fans using iPod and tons of MP3 here .

What do you think guys?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
See the Audio and Electronics forum. In the threade Ice>Link Review and Install we are discussing a newe product that integreates the Ipod into the Fiber Bus now.

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/93278-dension-ice-link-plus-mercedes-ipod-integration-install-review.html
Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 PM

2004 S55
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
No, there is no system that I'm aware of that will let you integrate any external MP3 device into your COMAND system (such that it will display song titles on the nav screen, etc).
Damn, it appears I spoke too soon. Today, apple announced several additional deals with various car manufacturers to provide iPod integration kits. MB was one of them.

An info site has been put up on MBUSA:

MBUSA Link

There's also this site on MB Global with a link to a flash demo of the system:

MB Global Link

Here's the press release:

"Apple & Mercedes-Benz Unveil iPod Integration Kit
Tuesday January 11, 1:55 pm ET
Mercedes-Benz is First Automaker to Deliver Full iPod Music Navigation

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® and Mercedes-Benz USA today announced the iPod® Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz, making Mercedes-Benz the first automaker to provide full iPod music navigation for drivers to listen to their entire iPod music collection through the Mercedes-Benz audio system, as well as select their music using artist, album or playlist with the multifunction controls on the steering wheel and the integrated multifunction display on their instrument cluster. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will debut this April in the US with the newly redesigned 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and for most other 2005 and 2006 models later this year.
"Music lovers want to listen to their digital music in their cars, and we're delighted to be working with Mercedes to offer a fully integrated solution," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz features the quality and attention to detail Mercedes is famous for, perfectly complementing Apple's innovative iPod."

"We are very excited to partner with Apple to deliver this wonderful solution," said Paul Halata, president and CEO, Mercedes-Benz USA. "Bringing motorists the world's most elegant iPod offering with full navigation and display continues the Mercedes tradition of offering our customers the innovation and premium quality they expect."

The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod, and conveniently connects and stores in the glove compartment. The solution also allows the driver to "See What You're Hearing" with music title or playlist information shown on the integrated multifunction display on the instrument cluster. Drivers will be able to easily access their entire iPod music library, shuffle songs and skip between tracks and playlists.

Pricing & Availability

The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will be available to customers for the MSRP of $299 (US) plus installation from authorized Mercedes-Benz dealerships. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will debut this April in the US with the newly redesigned 2006 Mercedes-Benz M-Class, and for most other 2005 and 2006 models later this year. In addition, the solution can be retrofit to many model year 2005 Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Please visit www.mbusa.com/ipod for details. iPod products, sold separately, are available in the US through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

MBUSA, headquartered in Montvale, New Jersey, is responsible for the sales, marketing and service of all Mercedes-Benz and Maybach products in the United States. In 2004, MBUSA achieved an all-time sales record of 221,610 new vehicles, setting the highest sales volume ever in its history and achieving eleven consecutive years of sales growth. Over the past decade, the company has introduced a number of new models, many of them in new market segments. The Mercedes-Benz family currently consists of the mid-size C-Class sports sedans and wagons; the highly acclaimed E-Class sedans and wagons; the SLK roadster; CLK coupes and cabriolets; the flagship S-Class sedans and ultimate CL coupes; the renowned SL roadsters; the sport-utility M-Class line; and the G-Class sports utility vehicle. Separately, MBUSA oversees sales and marketing of the super luxurious Maybach 57 and Maybach 62 in the US. More information on MBUSA and its products can be found on the Internet at www.mbusa.com and www.maybachusa.com.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award- winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

© 2005 Apple. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, Mac, Mac OS, iPod and Apple Store are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Apple Computer, Inc."
Old 01-13-2005, 04:29 PM

2004 S55
Well, all curent S owners may be SOL. I made contact with a guy in my local dealer's custom install dept. They just got an FAQ for the iPod integration unit. Here's the text from it:

"iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz?
A. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz is an integrated system solution that provides connectivity between a customer’s iPod device and the electronics and audio systems of the Mercedes-Benz vehicle. The solution offers the ability to connect and stow the iPod device with a specially designed interface in the glovebox, which charges the iPod device while allowing the driver to manipulate iPod menus and device functions via the steering wheel Multifunction thumb buttons. Also, the driver can conveniently reference iPod menu, Playlist, or artist/title information on the Multifunction display on the dashboard.

Q. What is included with the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz?
A. The Kit includes a unique physical interface for the glovebox, as well as all software to support vehicle system integration and interface functionality. The iPod device is sold separately, and is not included with the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz.

Q. Can the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz be used with other MP3 or other audio devices?
A. The iPod Integration Kit is engineered with specific software that interprets the data from the Apple iPod device. Other MP3 players or other audio devices will not be compatible with this solution.

Q. For which iPod devices will the solution be compatible?
A. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz is compatible with any iPod device equipped with a dock interface and the latest iPod firmware installed. This includes iPod, iPod Mini, and iPod Photo.

Q. For which vehicles is the solution available?
A. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will initially be available for the newly redesigned 2006 M-Class SUV (164). Market availability for additional model year 2005 and 2006 Mercedes-Benz vehicles will also follow: C-Class (203), CLK-Class (209), B-Class (245), E-Class (211), SLK-Class (171 – vehicles equipped with COMAND system only), R-Class (251), CLS-Class (219).

Q. Where is the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz available for installation?
A. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz will be available as dealer-installation or VPC-installation.

Q. What is the price of the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz?
A. MSRP for the dealer-installed solution begins at $299 plus installation.

Q. How long does dealership installation take?
A. Dealership installation times vary by model. MBUSA suggests installations will range between one to three hours.

Q. Is the solution covered under warranty?
A. If installed at the time of initial vehicle delivery, the iPod Integration Kit is covered under the standard term of the MBUSA new vehicle limited warranty (4 years/50,000 miles). If installed after initial vehicle delivery, the iPod Integration Kit is covered for the remainder of the new vehicle limited warranty or one year, whichever is greater.

Q. How is the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz different from aftermarket solutions?
A. The Mercedes-Benz solution is specifically engineered for Mercedes-Benz vehicle systems. This solution provides increased functionality over aftermarket solutions, such as device function manipulation via the Multifunction steering wheel controls, and view of iPod device data on the Multifunction display. Because the Mercedes-Benz vehicle systems do not recognize the iPod device as a CD changer component, as in most aftermarket solutions, customers can still use both the CD changer and the iPod device, without sacrificing one for the other. Also, unlike aftermarket solutions, the Mercedes-Benz Kit is covered under warranty.

Q. How is the Mercedes-Benz solution different from solutions offered by other vehicle manufacturers?
A. The iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz offers increased functionality. For instance, the Mercedes-Benz solution will allow the driver to play and view any Playlist that has been created – not having to make a special new Playlist for the vehicle solution, as in other manufacturer’s solutions. Also, song title information can be viewed in the dashboard multifunction display, allowing the driver to “See What You’re Hearing”.

Q. If the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz is installed, will other devices such as CD changer be nullified?
A. No. Because this solution recognizes the iPod device as a unique input, other audio inputs such as CD changers, can still be utilized.

Q. Is there customer overlap between the Mercedes-Benz owner and the iPod owner? A. Absolutely. There are over 6 million iPod devices sold through September 2004, accounting for over 90 % of the hard disk based MP3 market. In addition, Mercedes-Benz has sold approximately 219,000 vehicles in 2004 alone, or about 4% of domestic US new-vehicle sales. Given these rising statistics, currently about 5% of Mercedes owners also own an iPod -- a population that increases every day.

Q. Where can I find more information about the iPod Integration Kit for Mercedes-Benz?
A. Please visit www.MBUSA.com/iPod."

While it doesn't say that S-Class compatability is not forthcoming at some point, no mention of it at all is concerning. With the S redesign not so far away, it's conceiveable that they could wait on S-Class integration until then.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2005, 05:48 PM
DHH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panamera Turbo, R63, "71 280SL
Thumbs up Burn MP3 DVD's and then play them in the dash CD player

Worked perfect for me.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Atherton
thanks.
2003 W220 S-class is the only year that has a provision for an auxiliary jack the way it ships from the factory.

2004-2005 can have an additional TV tuner which will give you two auxiliary input jacks; admittedly this is an expensive option, but if you only use it for audio, cheaper than going all the way and getting the TV antennas, antenna amplifiers, and wiring for it all.

2000-2002 (and also 2003) can use the Dension product that Adam has done a very informative writeup on. See the Audio section.

-s-