S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

W221 S-Class: Official pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's socially irresponsible to prevent others from using devices which may save lives. Besides, they're first to market, and have the technology exclusively for a number of years anyways while the competition plays catch up.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:55 AM

03 E500
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Umm, actually Lexus gauges were influenced by aircraft ****pits, thus Lexus have either electrolumincent or optitron gaugues that light up like an airplanes. And looking at the S-class, they took this feature as well starting with the last generation and continuing with this generation.
MBs have been using electronlumincent displays for a long long time before Toyota even starts to copy it. For example, on the W211, the multi function display in the center dash. Non owners was complaining about how W211 dash was not high tech because there was no flashy neon gauge or electrolumincent this or that but they didn't realize it was there.

MB just didn't make it flashy or try to make it obvious by shoving those lights in peoples faces. They just made it work.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:03 AM

03 E500
Originally Posted by gbahri
Lexus has really good marketing. Every time I see a commercial I believe they invented it for the 30 seconds the comerrcial airs, then I remember that Mercedes did it. They are lucky Mercedes doesn't patent their stuff.
Can someone tell me why???
MB actually patents ALL their technologies. From air bags, traction control, seat belt pretensioners, anti lock brakes...the list goes on and on...actually about 10 thousand items long. They just choose to let other manufactures use it freely because they want all cars to be safe.

That's why most Europeans look down of Lexus/Toyota because they took those technology and use it freely without even saying "thank you" but instead try to say they invented it.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Speaking purely about the electroluminescent gauges, which is what the poster spoke about, the first MB to use them (as far as I know) is the current generation S Class. Lexus has had this since the start on the LS way back in 1989.

I don't doubt that MB has innovated many features, and tons of safety features (and rightly make them available to others), but they don't hold a monopoly on all innovations. I don't see anyone complaining that MB is copying other manufacturers now that they have a backup camera. Isn't it just good business sense to offer the same features as your competition?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by alewifebp
Speaking purely about the electroluminescent gauges, which is what the poster spoke about, the first MB to use them (as far as I know) is the current generation S Class. Lexus has had this since the start on the LS way back in 1989.

I don't doubt that MB has innovated many features, and tons of safety features (and rightly make them available to others), but they don't hold a monopoly on all innovations. I don't see anyone complaining that MB is copying other manufacturers now that they have a backup camera. Isn't it just good business sense to offer the same features as your competition?
yes your right about the backup camera. if no two cars had the same feature then it would be very bad for us. every car company uses or adds what another company already has. the problem with lexus is that they come out with it years later and then make as if they invented it. that is the problem. yes mercedes might take a few ideas from lexus, but sure dont make like it was their idea. and lexus should be happy mercedes is around b/c if there was no mercedes, lexus would have a hard time with their commercials. lol
Old 06-28-2005, 11:38 AM

The sad thing is that Lexus/Toyota are usually among the last of the auto companies to rip off the safety features that Mercedes invents, effectively making their cars ten years behind the Germans.

This is a fairly well researched rebuttal on the RX versus the ML in safety.

http://autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=4668

Title: RX: Another Deathtrap from Toyota
Comment: That article got the safety assessment completely wrong. The ML is safer than the RX by a long shot. The ML has active front head restraints, seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters on all outboard seating positions, available rear side airbags, triple layered steel roof pillars, crash compatible front and rear structures, ellipsoidal bulkhead construction, emergency telematics, automatic fuel shutoff on impact, the multi-award winning pre-safe system, and a slew of other lesser known features. All of that plus Mercedes' overarching reputation as a safety leader means the ML is simply built to higher standards of safety all around. When it comes to safety Lexus is little more than a slacker.

The RX has fewer safety features than the ML and is built by a company with a reputation for safety that remains questionable at best. Lexus really hasn't shown any particular interest in safety over the years and there really is no reason to think its vehicles would be any safer than the average Kia. After all, Lexus doesn’t innovate in the realm of safety nor has it had any industry safety firsts. Worse yet, Lexus is usually last in adopting new safety technologies.

If you consider safety features that have come about in the last 15 years you'll notice that Lexus has been consistently several years behind the curve in adopting them. Lexus was late to market with all of the following items and many more: stability control, front head protection side airbags, rear head protection side airbags (think IS and previous GS), dual stage front airbags, dual threshold front airbags, rear center 3-point seatbelt, rear seatbelt pretensioners, brake assist, brake force distribution, the front passenger airbag, emergency telematics. Furthermore, Lexus remains indefinitely late with such simplicities as rollover protection and combination head/thorax side airbags on convertibles.

Bottom line is this: Lexus cuts corners every step of the way by offering fewer features and less sophisticated structural designs. Lexus procrastinates by lagging years behind in adopting new techs. Lexus does not innovate and has had zero safety firsts. On the other hand we have Mercedes, the company consistently on the forefront of safety firsts/innovation, the company consistently offering all the most sophisticated safety features and not just a few, and the company consistently first to market with new safety technologies. Did I mention that Mercedes is one of only two companies, the other being Volvo, that has an active accident investigation team to research real world collisions? Oh, and let’s not forget that Mercedes conducts some of the worlds most extensive internal crash testing, unrivaled in its rigorousness. Lexus aims only to meet antiquated government safety standards and to pass IIHS requirements.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:26 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
I red all the three pages of comments in this Thread but I must say you put it best: "WTF did they do?" Also, the "Toyota Avalon design without the quality" is another good one!

My father is in the market for a luxury sedan and I had the new S Class in mind; even though Mercedes is just awful in the reliability department. But after seeing the pictures and reading your comments there's no way in hell I will let him buy this "WTF". Now I have to think and figure out what else can he buy? Audi A8/S8 (my favorites) and the BMW 7 Series are relatively old and it is going to be another few years for their replacement. The upcoming Lexus LS500 is the only thing I can think of but my father doesn't like Lexus. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by michakaveli
The steering wheels looks gay.... WTF did they do? The interior looks nothing like an S-Class used to or at least should look. It screams BMW with a passion.

The exterior is not that bad. It's slowly growing. But IMHO I prefer the look of the W220 to this.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Getthe updated 2006 Audi A8L with the new grill

My father hates the new S class and he has ordered the new Audi A8L with the updated front grill. Its beautiful with a great MMI technology that is better than I -drive and great quality. The 19 inch wheels are outstanding. Take him for a test drive. I cannot wait till he gets this beauty! I love the A8.
Dave
Old 07-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
ahm, i think your summary is wrong, teufel. and if your dad wants the best luxury car on the planet, he can get the Phantom/Maybach/Continental, or this. it looks nothing like the avalon for whoever's sakes is in fashion nowadays. check out the pictures here:
http://www.maybach.ru/w221/index_en.php

remember when the W220 first came out, how everyone hated it? well, its gonna be exactly the same for this. ol' Bruno's been gone for years and years now, lets not pin the change in design on him.

the A8 looks like a cleaned-up Honda Legend. if all you want is a nice anonymous car, by all means. but it's definitely not for me

i would be seriously surprised if MMI is any better than the new COMAND.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ruykava
ahm, i think your summary is wrong, teufel. and if your dad wants the best luxury car on the planet, he can get the Phantom/Maybach/Continental, or this. it looks nothing like the avalon for whoever's sakes is in fashion nowadays. check out the pictures here:
http://www.maybach.ru/w221/index_en.php

remember when the W220 first came out, how everyone hated it? well, its gonna be exactly the same for this. ol' Bruno's been gone for years and years now, lets not pin the change in design on him.

the A8 looks like a cleaned-up Honda Legend. if all you want is a nice anonymous car, by all means. but it's definitely not for me

i would be seriously surprised if MMI is any better than the new COMAND.
i guess its just that people have to get used to a new design. MB is so advanced when they make new designs that it takes a while for people to see it. and like you i dont think the A8 is even close to the S when it comes to luxury. or design
Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
actually LEXUS

Originally Posted by Dvinn
MBs have been using electronlumincent displays for a long long time before Toyota even starts to copy it.
LEXUS was the one to start this, bout 15 years ago.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Tivoboy is correct, Lexus was the first to use electroluminescent gauges in the first generation LS400 back in the late 80's or early 90's. MB just started using them on the W220 S class and the CL that same year they were both launched.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
and he HATED it!

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
MB just started using them on the W220 S class and the CL that same year they were both launched.
just take me back to the good 'ol VDO gauges of yesterday.
but honestly, there IS so much technology in R&D, much of it not used at all, for really really dumb reasons.

It was fun testing versions of the "new" predictive accident systems, back in the 90's. Driving into fake cardboard, red and white painted "brick walls"

wait till predictive steering comes out.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Those VDO gauges were simply some of the best out there. I hope the new S uses an IC made by VDO, simply would make it even better. I am sure that the engineers at Siemens and Mercedes have taken great time and safety measures to ensure that the new LCD gauges are readable in all condition of lighting.