S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Jeremy Clarkson previews the new S-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson previews the new S-Class

More stuff from the seven-foot tall yob.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...732584,00.html

Long story short, he doesn't seem too happy about it. To him it doesn't seem like a car, more like a piece of technology- effective but emotionless. I do agree with him in that regard. However I can't help but think that if emotion is what he's looking for, he's reviewing the wrong model...

Last edited by Turtle25; 08-14-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
What a horrible writer. He doesn't introduce the car until halfway into the article.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 Renault Megane II
Originally Posted by ajayz
What a horrible writer. He doesn't introduce the car until halfway into the article.
that is the way he do things, generally he is right on the spot.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by Turtle25
More stuff from the seven-foot tall yob.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...732584,00.html

Long story short, he doesn't seem to happy about it. To him it doesn't seem like a car, more like a piece of technology- effective but emotionless. I do agree with him in that regard. However I can't help but think that if emotion is what he's looking for, he's reviewing the wrong model...
Well, I have to respectively disagree with you on this one. Granted, the beginning of the article speaks more of successful vs unsuccessful technologies, i.e. beta vs vhs etc., Jeremy is quite complimentary about the new S-Class. I think he found the S600 a bit too "Lexus-like" in it's feel, but he reveled in the advanced technology. He's also the first to mention just why Cadillac discontinued their infared vision system. Considering he's British, I thought it was quite well done.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
If he would take a Jag over an S-Class then he my friends is an idiot. He has some biased love for jag in all his reviews, if their is a jag that is in the same class. Yet interestingly he doesnt like Ford all that much......Hmmmm he hates american cars actually, but loves jag, aston martin, and land rover. He bashes america, yet where would britain, or british cars be without america today? Hell is there one big british car company that is still independent?
Old 08-14-2005, 09:59 PM

Well, he did once say that "this is the car for me", but I do think he was joking. =) The technology is wonderful, but Clarkson is a bit of a Luddite- he would much prefer a direct, involving car, and in that regard he says the S600 doesn't deliver. Maybe that's the point of the 600.

And for the millionth time, he does like American cars- he loved the Viper, and he bought a Ford GT (he couldn't keep it because it was broken, though).
Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Well, he did once say that "this is the car for me", but I do think he was joking. =) The technology is wonderful, but Clarkson is a bit of a Luddite- he would much prefer a direct, involving car, and in that regard he says the S600 doesn't deliver. Maybe that's the point of the 600.

And for the millionth time, he does like American cars- he loved the Viper, and he bought a Ford GT (he couldn't keep it because it was broken, though).

Did you hear him rant on the corvette??? The CTS-V, not to mention his rant every show about atleast one to three american cars.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:51 PM

He ranted about them because they're poor cars. He makes fun of America because he makes fun of everyone, himself and the British included (he's particularly mean on the Germans). I don't want to have this conversation because I've heard it far too many times, every time he says something negative about any American car.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)

He actually liked the Chrysler Crossfire convertible, too (with some reservations).
Old 08-15-2005, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
Yet interestingly he doesnt like Ford all that much......Hmmmm he hates american cars actually, but loves jag, aston martin, and land rover. He bashes america, yet where would britain, or british cars be without america today? Hell is there one big british car company that is still independent?

Ford motor company owns Jag, Land Rover, and Aston Martin. But those companies operate pretty much indepently. As you can see that the quality of the Range Rover is far superior to a Navigator, Mountaineer, or Excursion. Jags are well refined autos that eminate a sense of class rather than sport similar to the way cadillac used to be here in the US. Remember he may give his "own" review but theres always money in his pocket from somewhere. I have yet to see a show where he totally hates a car. Then again here in the US the show is edited differently. Jags are ranked #1 in certifed used quality, and the XKR is faster than the porshe 911. Statistic smati****ics....

IMHO I listen to what he says, but I dont necessarily agree w/much of it. I dont think there is a single person who can review a car without a bias, hes a critic. Thats his job, well partially. If he didnt point out any dislikes, he wont come off as believable.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:25 PM

Say all you want about Jags. The XJ8 used to be my company rental car of choice, until I started having little problems like the driver's outside mirror falling off...

In less than a month's time I had the mirror incident, broke a the door on the sunglasses compartment, had the radio get "stuck" on an AM Mexican station that barely came in (thankfully), and broke two driver's seats. I will never get in another Jaguar again, and I make sure to be alert for falling parts whenever I see one on the road.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 PM

2006 VW Passat
If he would take a Jag over an S-Class then he my friends is an idiot. He has some biased love for jag in all his reviews, if their is a jag that is in the same class. Yet interestingly he doesnt like Ford all that much......Hmmmm he hates american cars actually, but loves jag, aston martin, and land rover. He bashes america, yet where would britain, or british cars be without america today? Hell is there one big british car company that is still independent?
Kudos to you, you said it well, but up until quite recently MG Motors were independent, the brits should stay out of business, they invest great amounts, and fail miserabally
Old 08-15-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by mand
Kudos to you, you said it well, but up until quite recently MG Motors were independent, the brits should stay out of business, they invest great amounts, and fail miserabally
IMHO, The Brits are only topped by the Italians in building the most beautiful, unreliable, and completely useless cars.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Beautiful is subjective.
They do make fantastic roadsters.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
Originally Posted by mand

They are very unpredictable......who knows maybe a few years down the line they have cars running on worchester sauce.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 AM

2006 VW Passat
Originally Posted by Evil Duffman
They are very unpredictable......who knows maybe a few years down the line they have cars running on worchester sauce.
Thats hilarious, over in the states, and in canada we'll have our cars running on the hybrid bull****, and they'll have brits eating out of the engine
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 AM

Mercedes all the way!
clarkson knows his stuff - i'd give him that. and he's strangely insightful - even if some of his "insights" are crap. **** decided on VHS, hence VHS won? interesting, but plausible, IF TRUE

i actually do agree with him on the "emotion" issue, but i think it's not the engine. 0-100 in 4.8 seconds is more than enough performance, IMO. it's the design that i take issue with, especially the interior. everything is so business-like (so far as i can see from the pictures) that, were it not for the styling cues, you could be in an audi (oh wait, didn't they hire audi's former chief interior designer? :P). the gracefulness that used to mark merc cabins seems to be gone. i hope, seeing the c0ckpit in person, that perception will prove to be wrong.

still, i'd go for this rather than the W220 (or A8/7/XJ/Quattroporte) anytime, anywhere.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01 AM

He talked about the car missing soul, he should have used the S55 for his article instead.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:21 AM

DancingBenzos,

You really have no idea, do you.

American cars are ****, he speaks the truth.

He loves Australian cars though, so he has nothing against the old push rod V8's etc.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:09 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Reviewing Jeremy

Isn't Jeremy your typical gadfly? If he didn't write somethng controversial no one would read him. At least one does not expect to find pablum in his articles since unlike most US auto writers he appears freer to speak his mind. How many US comparison reviews have you read where at the end both cars are declared the winner? Example: "The Mercedes model X will appeal to the buyer who wants to make the statement that he has to have the best, but the BMW X model is for the pure driving enthusiast who remains willing to make a few sacrifices in comfort for the reward of an engine that purrs like a cat."
Old 08-29-2005, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
British auto journalists would sooner go without milk in their tea, than say a German car is great, or worse yet, better than a Jag.

Last edited by CE750; 08-29-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:53 PM
SSL
Almost a Member!

W140;R107
Clarkson

^^^^^^^

Except that if you ever saw the older series of Top Gear Clarkson`s co-presenters Needell and Willson were BMW and Mercedes fans respectively. (More recently JC even owned an R230. AMG SL55 I think. Sadly spent much of it`s time in the workshop kept breaking down)

As regards car making, these days the Brits stick to doing what they do best .... leading edge technology for motor racing.

Chris.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
TVR is still British...
Sorry,forgot it was Russian now.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:33 AM
SSL
Almost a Member!

W140;R107
Morgan,Caterham and Noble are all small but very successful British sports car manufacturers.

BMW may own Rolls Royce but the Phantom is built in the UK at a purpose built facility by Brits using British expertise and knowledge. Given the choice between a Maybach and the Phantom there is no contest. Maybach is Woolworths and Phantom is Harrods.

Mass car manufacture,like every other mass produced product,is dictated by economies of scale and cost per unit of production. The UK simply doesn`t have the resource to match European, North American or Far Eastern manufacturers. As I posted earlier we are still good at the leading edge and big ticket stuff.

Chris.