S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

A real challenge to the new W221?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
A real challenge to the new W221?

I see the word is out on the new LS460. This will be an interesting comparison during the next several months. Seems Lexus is determined to unseat the German's as the luxury car king. From the Car Connection:

"Lexus LS460L Gets Eight Speeds

Lexus is determined to outdo its German rivals--that much became apparent at the world launch of the LS at the Detroit show, at which Lexus showed the long-wheelbase version of the car. The new vehicle gets a 4.6-liter V-8 with 380 hp and 370 lb-ft of torque, coupled to an eight-speed automatic. Zero to 60 times of 5.5 seconds are promised. Power is up 36 percent from the previous generation with equal or better fuel economy, Press said. "Yes, we've one-upped them," U.S. sales chief Jim Press said during the unveiling. In a dig at rivals BMW and Mercedes-Benz, Press also noted that the five-year-old copies of the LS are more reliable by Lexus' measures than brand-new sedans from the competitors.

The new LS gets a raft of tech equipment that Lexus officials said they would delve into more deeply at March's Geneva Motor Show. They include a 19-speaker Mark Levinson sound system with an internal hard-drive server that can store 4000 songs, making an iPod seem hopelessly retro. The 203-inch-wheelbase car will be offered with a reclining rear-seat option with extendable ottomans a la Maybach, and a cooler and a separate DVD entertainment system. An intelligent park system will help drivers put their cars into tight spaces with only a little brake assist from the driver, Press added. The long car is joined by a short-wheelbase version also on display. The "ultimate Lexus," Press promised, will be on display at the New York show in April. it will be powered by a hybrid version"

Old 01-08-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good. But will it have any character?

Saw a new W221 S-Class for the first time last night (I'm in Australia). I thought it looked sensational on the road, was a LWB one, looked quite large. Goes on sale here next month I think.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
As much as I like my S class and the new S550, the Lexus will definetly make my short list!
Old 01-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/132635-official-lexus-ls460-pics-info.html

I've posted many pictures there, you guys might be interested
Old 01-08-2006, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132635

I've posted many pictures there, you guys might be interested
Just reviewed your post Ricky...some excellent comments along with the pictures.

Seeing the other shots, it really looks like a 7 Series. I still cannot adjust to the interior and looking at an "L" on the steering wheel instead of a three pointed star turns me off...:-) The picture above looks really good but the closeups in your post kind of expose the shortcomings.

I think the new S still has the "it" factor.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
The LS460 is really impressive. The options that it has is really amazing. But I still like the W221 more.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Just reviewed your post Ricky...some excellent comments along with the pictures.

Seeing the other shots, it really looks like a 7 Series. I still cannot adjust to the interior and looking at an "L" on the steering wheel instead of a three pointed star turns me off...:-) The picture above looks really good but the closeups in your post kind of expose the shortcomings.

I think the new S still has the "it" factor.
Thanks for the good words. I did it while I was eating

The interior is something I think I'll have to really feel and see in person to make a judgement. However, exterior really looks bad, even for a Lexus. In the past they either looked good, or neutral. I guess the car companies have run out of ideas

I can't wait for the 'ultimate' Lexus to come out. It's always fun to see the companies try to one up each other.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
I’ve been a supporter of Mercedes of a long time, and have been happy with my W220. With its fender flairs plus BMW interior styling, the W221 is the first new S-Class that I haven’t found more attractive than it’s predecessor. The problem was that I hadn’t found another brand that’s prettier (unless I get a Flying Spur to go with my Continental GT, and *that* would be overkill). However, after seeing the Lexus photos and info just released, I believe I’ve found my next sedan, particularly when the hybrid version is available. I think this new LS is a massive challenge to Mercedes.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 159 Posts
The new Lexus will be a strong seller as will the new S...different strokes for different folks. I'm not a big sedan fan but if I were I'd go for the MB (just hope it finally gets as good as a reliabilty/satisfaction index as the Lexus)
Old 01-08-2006, 09:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 159 Posts
Great LS460 info here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132635
Old 01-09-2006, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
i'm sure it'll be a nice car to own and all that. might even never break down.

basically, the inside is fine - indeed, almost daring. though somehow it doesn't look stylish to me.

the exterior, now, if it were in the Camry class i would seriously consider it. but it doesn't flow at all. and the rear end chrome treatment is just wrong (sorry, i'm a sucker for such small design details).

for some reason i think the front looks like a Hyundai Azera: http://www.hyundaiazera.com. a luxury sedan that reminds me of a Hyundai is not in a good position.

sillydriver: interesting point regarding the W221. actually, the W220 was the first S-class i didn't like the design of. put off getting one for 4 years. and just before it was to be replaced, i suddenly love it. damn, i'm waaay behind the curve
Old 01-09-2006, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sillydriver
I’ve been a supporter of Mercedes of a long time, and have been happy with my W220. With its fender flairs plus BMW interior styling, the W221 is the first new S-Class that I haven’t found more attractive than it’s predecessor. The problem was that I hadn’t found another brand that’s prettier (unless I get a Flying Spur to go with my Continental GT, and *that* would be overkill). However, after seeing the Lexus photos and info just released, I believe I’ve found my next sedan, particularly when the hybrid version is available. I think this new LS is a massive challenge to Mercedes.
When I saw the picture above I thought maybe Lexus had done something new...design a nice looking car. But then after looking at the images on the other site...I saw that it was nothing more than a blend of ideas from other builders instead of a new design. The rear portion of the car is a disaster. The interior is still Lexus. And from the comments about their quality by Press...they are still building to JD Power specs!

I still like the W220 but will probably be won over by the W221 in a year or two. My 220 is really a beautiful car and rides like a dream.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:57 AM

'03 ML350; 01 Saab 9-5
My father has an '00 LS400, although it is an excellent vehicle with superior build quality and reliability, it is a bland vehicle to drive. It would be nice to see if this car is an improvement
Old 01-09-2006, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL600, A8L W12, Continental GT, Range Rover SC
Rant against modern automotive design

I guess taste is a very individual thing, and mine is basically stuck in the 1995 to 2005 era, which is starting to look to me like the pinnacle of automotive design. That class of car includes the W220, which I think is sleek and elegant, the prior generation BMW 7 Series (I bought a 95 model, which was the first year of production), the Audi sedans prior to the recent big-nose treatment, and even the Ferrari 456M, which I thought was the most beautiful Ferrari of the modern era. While I thought all of these cars were prettier than their predecessors, I think every one of their successors is uglier. I think contemporary BMWs are horrible, the W221 is a disappointment, and the Ferrari Scaglietti is ungainly. The big-nose Audis are probably the least offensive of the bunch. The only current sedan whose looks I’ve really liked is the VW Phaeton, and that’s just been discontinued.

I guess the common theme that bugs me about all these cars is what to me is a lumpy, bloated look. It’s more than anything else the high beltline, which generally goes together with a big blunt nose. My fear is that these common design features are mandated by pedestrian safety and perhaps side impact regulations, and are permanently here to stay. Current designs just lack the sleekness of their predecessors. The exception that proves the rule is the one high-beltline blunt-nose car I like: the Bentley Continental GT, which I also happen to own. That one design somehow manages to project a certain sleekness, perhaps because of the Porsche-like lines of the fastback rear end. I don’t like the sedan version of the Bentley half as much, although it’s still better than the others.

The appeal to me of the LS600h is that while incorporating a little of the high-beltline, blunt-nose look, it also has some styling cues that are so derivative they go back to the prior generation of cars, which appeal to me more. I think the interior design is also more dated, which for me is a definite plus!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
ON PROBATION

So, another potentially great car enters the segment. I don't think that it will actually amount to becoming, or being, "a real challenge" to the new S-Class....
Old 01-09-2006, 03:00 PM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
On subject/off topic, can any of you recommend a good Lexus forum? I'm interested in what they are writing. I'm also starting my early quest for my next car so the info helps. I have a 3 month old A8L but I'm already thinking of the next car in 21 months. S,LS or a 7? A8 could be my 1st repeat.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:28 PM

www.clublexus.com
Old 01-09-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Lexus isn't and has never been of any interest to me in terms of desirability, and the rest of the world outside the US and Japan probably still holds Mercedes in heightened esteem above other marques when it comes to large-sedan luxury. Just ask any African dictator...

On the other hand, I've gotta say that the picture in the first post above is nice: it's good to see the resemblance between the new LS and the new GS and IS sedans, particularly the side contour line and the c-pillar shape. It's nice to see that Lexus is developing its own design identity and no longer feels it is necessary to blatantly ape the latest designs of its competitors.

Makes me wonder what the *next* generation of all these Lexus/Merc/Bimmer cars are going to look like. Perhaps they'll all revert to truly individual identities, like the BMW's and Mercedes (and others) of the 60's/70's, etc. Wishful thinking!

v
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Almost a Member!

08 Lexus IS350
Styling-wise I like the W221 S-class more than this new LS460. But there is one thing for sure, the gap between W221 and LS460 would be much smaller than that between W220 and LS430. Size-wise they are so close, especially the longer version of the LS. I can't wait for the car magazines to do thorough comparisons between S550, LS460L, 750Li, A8 L and XJ super V8.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
not even close to an S class....looks like a boated is250

im sorry im not impressed, i dont care if it has 20 speeds
Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Im sorry but that car is indeed in an identity crisis.

I see:

Acura RL
Mercedes S Class W221
BMW 7 series
BMW 5 series
Toyota Avalon

I would rather drive or sit in an Avalon than be ever seen in such a hideous vehicle but for old fogeys out there in the general population it might be a great cheap *** Mercedes.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:54 PM

I'm with fanatic that car is flat-out ugly and confused. The back end is hideous, and I can't imagine this being much fun to drive. I'll pass....
Old 01-10-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic

I see:

Acura RL
Mercedes S Class W221
BMW 7 series
BMW 5 series
Toyota Avalon

I would rather drive or sit in an Avalon than be ever seen in such a hideous vehicle but for old fogeys out there in the general population it might be a great cheap *** Mercedes.
And the new S Class is unique? Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the new S but the one I drove today was sitting next to a BMW 750. Guess what?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by slk55lvr
I'm with fanatic that car is flat-out ugly and confused. The back end is hideous, and I can't imagine this being much fun to drive. I'll pass....
I'm not going to judge the Lexus until I see it and drive it. Lexus makes great cars and SUV's so it might be an awesome vehicle in person. I drove the S550 today as I'm looking for a car to replace my S500. I'm not sold on it yet and was actually a little disappointed.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I bet you would rather sit in this "Gily" car just because:

1. It looks like a Mercedes
2. It's not a Lexus.

Mercedes's style & reliability must be great, the Chinese go right after it.

Originally Posted by MB Fanatic

I see:

Acura RL
Mercedes S Class W221
BMW 7 series
BMW 5 series
Toyota Avalon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A real challenge to the new W221?