S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

A real challenge to the new W221?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
WTF is that Zam. Besides there is no replacement for a Mercedes in my book.

Lexus has nothing new on its LS460, no new safety features, and its not very innovative. Lets be honest the only thing this car has going for it has to be its engine, which sounds amazing with Direct Injection and the 8spd tranny.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
WTF is that Zam. Besides there is no replacement for a Mercedes in my book.

Lexus has nothing new on its LS460, no new safety features, and its not very innovative. Lets be honest the only thing this car has going for it has to be its engine, which sounds amazing with Direct Injection and the 8spd tranny.
I'm a die hard Mercedes guy but I'd bet that this Lexus is going to have a lot of bell and whistles (innovation). I've learned to reserve judgment until I actually see and drive a vehicle myself. Looking at pictures can be very misleading. As an example: I wasn't crazy about the S550 exterior in pictures but the interior looked awesome. Well I drove a S550 yesterday and really likes the exterior but was disappointed with the interior. Lexus makes great cars and I'm confident that the LS460 is going to be an amazing machine.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Lexus

I am always disappointed with Lexus do to one main thing. They lack BIG POWER in all of their lines. Wonder why they don't introduce some muscle when that seems to be what most manufacturers are doing.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Isn't Lexus coming out with some performance division to compete with MB AMG and BMW M?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
The Lexus Camry or Camry Lexus

They sure look alike don't they...

Old 01-12-2006, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by AsianML
Isn't Lexus coming out with some performance division to compete with MB AMG and BMW M?
Who cares the cars are still going to be built off these ugly bodies. No thanks. Sure they are reliable and what have you but lets be honest, if a car is ugly like this Lexus no one will buy it, perhaps some older person, but not me.

Oh yeah they drive like **** too.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Who cares the cars are still going to be built off these ugly bodies. No thanks. Sure they are reliable and what have you but lets be honest, if a car is ugly like this Lexus no one will buy it, perhaps some older person, but not me.

Somebody likes them. Lexus is the hottest dealer franchise in the U.S. by a long shot. Have you ever owned one? Obviously not, because they don't drive like ****.

I've had two LX470's and a GX470. They were terrific vehicles. They were extremely well built, drove nice, and the customer service blows everyone else away.

BTW, I'm 36 - too young for a Lexus in your opinion?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
My sister had a new SC430 not too long ago with all the trimmings and needless to say how "cute" it looked and the features it had the engine felt lethargic, and the drive was very anemic not to mention scary.

I also had the pleasure of joining a friend in his new LS430 recently with the sport package? to BLythe CA, and for those who go out in that area the road is fairly bump and what not. The car was very unstable and to be honest it made me sick. A car should be able to instill passion into a persons heart as a result of its looks, features, content and other aspects.

The SUV's like the LX and GX on the other hand are solid vehicles and drive great all while giving a solid ride. I cant say the same about the RX which is nothing more than a glorified Toyota Camry or Lexus ES.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:40 PM

My sister had a new SC430 not too long ago with all the trimmings and needless to say how "cute" it looked and the features it had the engine felt lethargic, and the drive was very anemic not to mention scary.

I also had the pleasure of joining a friend in his new LS430 recently with the sport package? to BLythe CA, and for those who go out in that area the road is fairly bump and what not. The car was very unstable and to be honest it made me sick. A car should be able to instill passion into a persons heart as a result of its looks, features, content and other aspects.

The SUV's like the LX and GX on the other hand are solid vehicles and drive great all while giving a solid ride. I cant say the same about the RX which is nothing more than a glorified Toyota Camry or Lexus ES.
I agree that it's hard to get passionate about a Lexus like you can about a Mercedes. However, Lexus does make solid and reliable vehicles. It looks as if they're also getting close to releasing some real performance cars, we'll see.

Botton line is that it's nice to see companies like Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc., pushing eachother. It's good for the consumer and enthuasist.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte

Definitions of fanatic on the Web:

marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea; "rabid isolationist"
a person motivated by irrational enthusiasm (as for a cause); "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject"--Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2006, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by G55K
I agree that it's hard to get passionate about a Lexus like you can about a Mercedes. However, Lexus does make solid and reliable vehicles. It looks as if they're also getting close to releasing some real performance cars, we'll see.

Botton line is that it's nice to see companies like Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc., pushing eachother. It's good for the consumer and enthuasist.
Touche, competition is a great thing for us consumers as we get the benefit in the end.

Hey if Lexus can make a vehicle that competes with my AMG's and future Porsche I'll be the first in line at my local Lexus dealer. I want to see if they release a new LX since the current is a bit dated to say the least. It might be a runner up for me if it looks great and isnt built off some existing Toyota platform.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:28 PM

I drive a LS430 2003 model and love it. The new styling leaves a little to be desired, but I'm sure it will grow on me. It looks to similar to an Acura RL/TL.

Oh well. There are people that will buy it.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by PHXATC
I drive a LS430 2003 model and love it. The new styling leaves a little to be desired, but I'm sure it will grow on me. It looks to similar to an Acura RL/TL.

Oh well. There are people that will buy it.

I agree, the exterior pictures are nothing to get excited about. However, I've owned many cars that I swore I wouldn't buy after seeing a picure. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see it in person and take it out for a drive.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenK
I am always disappointed with Lexus do to one main thing. They lack BIG POWER in all of their lines. Wonder why they don't introduce some muscle when that seems to be what most manufacturers are doing.
LS600 is supposed to be a competitor as far as the S600 is concerned.
BTW LS430 keeps up with W220 S500 and what not. It's a very quick car although it's not fast on paper.
Add another one hundred horse power, two more gears in the tranny and that car is going to be flying.

With the LS600.. ohhh weee! Talk about fast! And Lexus' airsuspension is awesome. Turn off Sport setting for a wicked smooth ride, turn it on and it stiffens to almost the level of my X5.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:18 PM
ON PROBATION

You know, what's interesting to me is that it has been my understanding for years that Japan limited HP in their home market, and that was why it was the rare car (Skyline for instance, NSX?) that had real HP - at least over 300 - now I see the Evo's, Sti's, and Lexus pumping up the HP??? Is this just export to US market? Or are they releasing these in Japan also - does anyone know?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

They are releasing them in Japan as well from what I remember.
Lexus will be Lexus in Japan for model year 2008 I think.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Innovation

I guess the car companies have run out of ideas

BMW tried something new and are still paying for it. Now I'm not advocating an Acura/Bangle hybrid like this but c'mon.... there has to be some sane innovation.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:14 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
They are releasing them in Japan as well from what I remember.
Lexus will be Lexus in Japan for model year 2008 I think.
That's why I asked because I heard something a little while back that they decided to drop or modify the restrictions -- which should result in higher HP Japanese cars from all of the makers. But I really don't follw the Japan cars or market very much. Seems to me like their concept cars are getting hotter and hotter.....
Old 01-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

It's very interesting to see the concept cars come from Toyota because they are traditionally a very conservatively styled company.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:38 PM
ON PROBATION

Sedans and wagons...but what about the MR2?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
It's very interesting to see the concept cars come from Toyota because they are traditionally a very conservatively styled company.
The new LS just reinforces that they have one of the worst styling departments for being such a large automaker.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

MR2 was targetted to kids. Wasn't it killed off?

MB Fanatic: Yeah man, the LS460 is really ugly.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:19 PM
ON PROBATION

Oh, heck, I don't know...like I said - I don't pay much attention to the Japanese makers.
I did go take a serious look at a '99? '00? MR2 for a track car once upon a time.... Sat in the thing and all I could see forward was the frame at the top of the windshield -- needless to say....
Considered the '98? super Celica GT....
Also seriously considered an S2000, until I sat in one.....
A Mitsu Evo VII, until I took a good look at the dash and around the interior....
A Subaru WRX STi rally car....
And on and on goes the list - Japanese cars just don't do it for me, that's all.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by sillydriver
I’ve been a supporter of Mercedes of a long time, and have been happy with my W220. With its fender flairs plus BMW interior styling, the W221 is the first new S-Class that I haven’t found more attractive than it’s predecessor. The problem was that I hadn’t found another brand that’s prettier (unless I get a Flying Spur to go with my Continental GT, and *that* would be overkill). However, after seeing the Lexus photos and info just released, I believe I’ve found my next sedan, particularly when the hybrid version is available. I think this new LS is a massive challenge to Mercedes.

Challenge? Make sure you compare the Lexus to the NEW S550. I saw on last night at the dealership and it is ALL S class. Let's see....a 5.5liter versus a 4.6L? Also, nno disrespect to any Lexus fans, but, why is EVERY aspect of that car stolen from somewhere else?? Hell, i have the DVD in my Jeep. Also, the new S Does have the card and card only for a key.

If you guys want to compare, at least be fair.

p.s. I can get a new S within the next month, so again be fair.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:32 AM

I'm just throwing this out here, I have no evidence, but, wouldn't you think that most people compare cars by simply the price point? I mean, if I throw out a Lincoln LS (cool car in it's own right) with some higher hp, some blingy wheels, and a price piont of around $70Kish, most people would compare that car to MB and Lexus and the others.

I'm just thinking that most people begin their comparos with the simple price point, then with looks closely behind, then the other things.

This is the average Joe, not superfreaks like we have in here!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A real challenge to the new W221?