S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

The S550 In Andorite Grey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by akburton
Just got back from the dealership and saw my LE. It is absolutely Gorgeous. I'm not even adding any rims to it. The only thing I may do is add some tint down the line. Unfortunately it does come with Continental Tires, but those Rims and that paint and interior is sick, I swear that car has the flu!!
Post some pics.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Jack, I've been meaning to ask: Did you get Bluetooth or will you continue to use your two-phone "solution?"
Old 03-11-2006, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Jack, I've been meaning to ask: Did you get Bluetooth or will you continue to use your two-phone "solution?"
I intend to keep the Cradle and the Moto V557 I have in the S430 and plug it into the S550. I will continue to use the RAZR and hang it on my belt. I like the fact that with the V557 I can have the phone always charged and it uses the cars antenna system. If I decide later I don't want that setup, I will just get the BT module and use the RAZR.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I intend to keep the Cradle and the Moto V557 I have in the S430 and plug it into the S550. I will continue to use the RAZR and hang it on my belt. I like the fact that with the V557 I can have the phone always charged and it uses the cars antenna system. If I decide later I don't want that setup, I will just get the BT module and use the RAZR.
Must be nice to actually having options.

BTW: I just ran across a MB dealer over on BenzWorld who was offering advice and assistance to BZ members who had any questions, especially about the new cars (said he had two in stock). I asked him about the tires and what options were available to buyers. Will let you know if he has anything useful. Or you can hope on over there and subscribe to that thread. Can't remember what it's called though.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Must be nice to actually having options.

BTW: I just ran across a MB dealer over on BenzWorld who was offering advice and assistance to BZ members who had any questions, especially about the new cars (said he had two in stock). I asked him about the tires and what options were available to buyers. Will let you know if he has anything useful. Or you can hope on over there and subscribe to that thread. Can't remember what it's called though.
Greg from Glauser emailed me and said if I would give him a tire I am interested in he would have parts look into it and they could make the switch before I took delivery. He checked out the new S cars he has and they had Continental CH-95's on the 18" wheels. One he had with 19" Multi spoke has Michelin.

I have no idea what tire would work for me on the S550...I am thinking just take what comes and if I have a problem later, just replace them when the time comes with something else. Tires are really tough to rate and compare.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Greg from Glauser emailed me and said if I would give him a tire I am interested in he would have parts look into it and they could make the switch before I took delivery. He checked out the new S cars he has and they had Continental CH-95's on the 18" wheels. One he had with 19" Multi spoke has Michelin.

I have no idea what tire would work for me on the S550...I am thinking just take what comes and if I have a problem later, just replace them when the time comes with something else. Tires are really tough to rate and compare.
I agree they are tough to rate, but Tire Rack does the best job in the business. If you move to 19" you will probably have extra cost w/ new wheels. I think you should stay w/ 18" and whatever type of tire you want. The OEM tires are about $150 each, so let me do some research for you and see what would be best in each type of tire. I'll let you know what I come up w/. Living in Vegas I assume you want a year round tire and none of this summer/winter stuff.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 03-11-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Jack, Please check out this URL: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Search...200&minLoad=XL

or better yet check this URL: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=All&x=57&y=10

It lists all tire options for your new car by type and should give you plenty of options. Let me know if I can help make your final decision. Greg's parts guy will be very impressed w/ your tire acumen!

I still suggest you talk to Luke @ TTR if you have questions.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 03-11-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree they are tough to rate, but Tire Rack does the best job in the business. If you move to 19" you will probably have extra cost w/ new wheels. I think you should stay w/ 18" and whatever type of tire you want. The OEM tires are about $150 each, so let me do some research for you and see what would be best in each type of tire. I'll let you know what I come up w/. Living in Vegas I assume you want a year round tire and none of this summer/winter stuff.
I will be staying with the 18" wheel and yes a good Touring tire...quiet and soft riding. No M+S needed...although we did have furries yesterday and today....:-)
Old 03-11-2006, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I will be staying with the 18" wheel and yes a good Touring tire...quiet and soft riding. No M+S needed...although we did have furries yesterday and today....:-)
I'll get you some good all season touring tire options--w/ hopefully no increase in sticker price!
Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll get you some good all season touring tire options--w/ hopefully no increase in sticker price!
Thanks...I don't know what the parts guy will do with pricing and exchange. I am concerned about MB possibly setting the suspension for the Continental CH95 and ride characteristics and do not want to mess that up.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Thanks...I don't know what the parts guy will do with pricing and exchange. I am concerned about MB possibly setting the suspension for the Continental CH95 and ride characteristics and do not want to mess that up.
I don't believe the tires and suspension have anything to do w/ one another, but Luke will know if they do.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:41 PM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
Jack,

Are you sure about they grey interior on your order? Have you seen it in person? I did today and it did not look good to me, although I recognize everyones tastes are different. It just seemed drab. Don't mean to flame; I'm just giving you a heads up just in case.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eagleeye
Jack,

Are you sure about they grey interior on your order? Have you seen it in person? I did today and it did not look good to me, although I recognize everyones tastes are different. It just seemed drab. Don't mean to flame; I'm just giving you a heads up just in case.
Thanks for your concern but I have seen the grey interior. It is darker than the grey I had in my E320 (called Ash) but my preference is grey. My S430 is Stone but I would have selected Grey if I had not purchased from stock. I do not like Beige and Charcoal (or black) so I am fortunate that Grey was an option....I like Grey...:-)

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 03-11-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:40 PM
ON PROBATION

They'll take care of you -- it's a $100K car, Jack

No issue at all with the suspension being tuned to the crappy Conti's -- that is just the tire that is on there OEM because of whatever corporate deal they've got going.... Switching to a better touring tire will only improve the already engineered ride, silly rabbit(!).

If you're not concerned about M&S (both the Pilot A/S and the Nero M&S are very comfortable tires btw) I'd suggest you go with something like the Michelin MXV4 - or whatever the appropriate fitment and load rating is on the S in a Michelin Touring tire these days.... Hard to beat the comfort in a Michelin touring tire -- very hard to do.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ClayJ
They'll take care of you -- it's a $100K car, Jack

No issue at all with the suspension being tuned to the crappy Conti's -- that is just the tire that is on there OEM because of whatever corporate deal they've got going.... Switching to a better touring tire will only improve the already engineered ride, silly rabbit(!).

If you're not concerned about M&S (both the Pilot A/S and the Nero M&S are very comfortable tires btw) I'd suggest you go with something like the Michelin MXV4 - or whatever the appropriate fitment and load rating is on the S in a Michelin Touring tire these days.... Hard to beat the comfort in a Michelin touring tire -- very hard to do.
I agree on the Michelin...had the MXV4 Energy on my '98 wagon. My other cars never had enough miles to need new tires before I sold them. I realize volume pricing is what determines what tires MB puts on the cars...just a little edgy about messing up my ride...:-)
Old 03-11-2006, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by ClayJ
.... Switching to a better touring tire will only improve the already engineered ride...
Clay is right Jack, and you should do it before you get the car. I have a call in to Luke and will let you know what he says. Hopefully on Monday.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Clay is right Jack, and you should do it before you get the car. I have a call in to Luke and will let you know what he says. Hopefully on Monday.
Guys I really appreciate the help on the tire situation...it's like having a professional staff to assist me. Whatever you do don't spend too much of my remaining money on this effort...LOL

I really do appreciate the input and the help...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:43 AM
ON PROBATION

On almost all of my passenger cars I have the OEM tires switched-out at the dealership before I take delivery. I don't think I have ever actually had a problem with - or any real resistance from - the dealership in doing so. I think that maybe two times I have actually had to kick in extra moeny on the deal (couple hundred bucks) -- and both times that was the last time I bought a car from or did any further business with that dealership....

They know what's going on with the crappy OEM tires these days - and they can always sell them out of the Service Dept. to someone else....

You never lose ride quality in going with a better touring tire....
Old 03-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
My turn my turn!

OEM TIRES SUCK! We're almost done with ours, and we're going to switch out ASAP!

Is MB trying to save some money or something?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianML
My turn my turn!

OEM TIRES SUCK! We're almost done with ours, and we're going to switch out ASAP!

Is MB trying to save some money or something?
Not really trying to save money. OEM tires are always a compromise. The only way you get premium tires in most cases is purchase a wheel upgrade and they usually have a better quality tire. This is common with all manufacturers, not just MB.

BTW, I have never has a problem with any of the tires I got with my MB. I have Bridgestone Potenza (?) on my S430 but it had the upgraded AMG wheels. On past MB when I replaced the tires I most always bought Michelin and I have to admit the ride did improve.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Not really trying to save money. OEM tires are always a compromise. The only way you get premium tires in most cases is purchase a wheel upgrade and they usually have a better quality tire. This is common with all manufacturers, not just MB.

BTW, I have never has a problem with any of the tires I got with my MB. I have Bridgestone Potenza (?) on my S430 but it had the upgraded AMG wheels. On past MB when I replaced the tires I most always bought Michelin and I have to admit the ride did improve.
Just listen to Clay & AsianML. They know what they are talking about.

The Bridgestone Potenza's are excellent tires. (See here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=All&x=57&y=10 )

The time to get your dealer to put quality tires on those 18" wheels is NOW--before you take delivery. He should be very amenable to putting good tires on that beautiful machine in order to "make the sale."

I'll let you know what to ask for as soon as I know--but you need to be thinking about whether you really want to stay w/ the all seasons or move up a grade to the higher prefromance tires. I'll have some options soon.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 03-12-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Just listen to Clay & AsianML. They know what they are talking about.
Were you being sarcastic? I rarely, if ever, get that kind of compliment.

I'll let you know what to ask for as soon as I know--but you need to be thinking about whether you really want to stay w/ the all seasons or move up a grade to the higher prefromance tires. I'll have some options soon.
Jack, would you need all-seasons? I mean you're in LV. You don't need it. But then again, higher performance do have a harsher ride, as you've probably experienced with your S430.

Last edited by AsianML; 03-12-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by AsianML
Were you being sarcastic? I rarely, if ever, get that kind of compliment.

Jack, would you need all-seasons? I mean you're in LV. You don't need it. But then again, higher performance do have a harsher ride, as you've probably experienced with your S430.
Actually, the higher preformance tires often have a much better ride than the all-season--not to mention MUCH better handling. When I switched from my 16" OEMs to the 18" Goodyear Eagle F1s I got a much better ride. I thought the lower profile tire would be worse, but I was really wrong.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Actually, the higher preformance tires often have a much better ride than the all-season--not to mention MUCH better handling. When I switched from my 16" OEMs to the 18" Goodyear Eagle F1s I got a much better ride. I thought the lower profile tire would be worse, but I was really wrong.
Hmmm, everytime we've used a high performance tire, the ride is a little harsh. Maybe it's just the brand.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really don't want a High Peformance tire or low profile tire. I want a H Touring tire with the primary qualities of Ride Comfort and Quietness, as well as good dry and hot weather capabilities. The low profile V tires I have now do run a little noisey and harder than the normal touring tire.

That is why I am tempted to get the OEM's on the car...see how they ride and then make a decision. The Demo ran great with the OEM's and although I did not check them, they were problably the Continental CH95's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The S550 In Andorite Grey