S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Let the Wheel/Tire search begin!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Let the Wheel/Tire search begin!

Since it looks like I'm within 2 months of my S550 arriving, it's time to start thinking of the important decisions... like what wheels to stick on it!

I've decided to go with 20" rims, but that's the extwnt of it. I'm concerned with the tire size affecting the ride.

I've also observed that ClayJ is quite the tire enthusiast. So, I asked him questions about tires privately, but have decided that some of you might benefit from his answers. Of course, if you have an opinion on the matter, please join in.

My question had to do with what tire profile size would be good so as to not deteriorate ride quality. Here was his answer:
The newer higher-end tires in 20" to 22" sizes have taken comfort into account.

If you 'plus-size' correctly - maintaining the exact same (within .4") Overall Diameter - you will end up with a tire whose amount of sidewall is not too little, and whose slightly additional width (10mm-20mm, or 1/2" to 1") will help to mitigate roadshock or roughness of ride.

I do not like to go below a profile of 45 on a passenger car - a 40 being absolute minimum, and exhibiting a noticeable decrease in ride comfort.

I prefer the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's - admittedly an enthusiast's tire - for best level of both comfort and performance. The Bridgestone S03 is my next choice -- but these ride just a little bit stiffer than the PS2's. Some are recommending the new Goodyear GSD3 -- I have yet to fit a set. These are all more performance than comfort or touring tires, but they are all actually quite comfortable even with being performance tires.

If you live in an area with either some snow or lots of rain, then the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S and the Michelin Pilot A/S are both high performance, high comfort tires - and would both be very good choices over a touring tire if fitment in your desired size on the S550 is available. Both of these tires also exhibit long treadwear life.

If you can get a touring tire from Michelin in 20", and you do not alter your OD in the plus-sizing, you should not experience any appreciable degradation in ride quality. Michelin touring tires are the most comfortable out there in my experience.

If I were you I would post exactly this question to Luke on the Tirerack Tires and Wheels forum and see what his recommendation to you is, as I haven't yet looked at what the fitment options will be for me on my upcoming S65's (and don't know off the top of my head what fitments are available for an S550).

If a 45 in a 20" application keeps overall diameter the same that would be perfect IMO. In fact, that is probably exactly what I would do. You might even be able to go with as low as a 40 with the new S's suspension and a good quality tire without any appreciable loss of ride comfort. That's my opinion.
I haven't posted yet on the Tire Rack forums, but using their tire finder, I don't see any 40 size tires-- it's either 35 or 45. Hmmm...
Old 03-13-2006, 03:48 AM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
If you want an up-to-date look that will command presence and prestige everywhere you go, you definitely want to go with at least 20s with 30 series in front and 25 series in the rear and as wide in the rear as possible (10.5s is a no-brainer, 11s, if you dare to be bold). I don't know for certain, but it looks like the W221 is built for even larger fitments than the W220 and the W140 before it. At least that seems to be the trend with each new generation (W140-16" factory rims; W220-17" factory rims; W221-19" factory rims).

If you look at all the top end show cars at SEMA, they all run with nothing less than 20", and many even with 22" fitments with the 30/25 series tries. Higher profile tires will protect your rims obviously, but look pedestrian and too conservative - at least to me. If you go with top of the line forged rims and drive carefully, there shouldn't be a problem unless you hit something. In other words, if you want comfort, well, then you sacrifice the look, IMHO. I'm too young to sacrifice style for comfort. If I wanted a ride for pure comfort, I would be buying a cushy caddy. The Benz, even with upgraded rims/tires, is still good enough for me in the comfort dept.

Last edited by CLFREAK; 03-13-2006 at 03:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:24 AM

98 Ford Explorer Limited, 2007 S550 LE
Originally Posted by JAdmiral
Since it looks like I'm within 2 months of my S550 arriving, it's time to start thinking of the important decisions... like what wheels to stick on it!

I've decided to go with 20" rims, but that's the extwnt of it. I'm concerned with the tire size affecting the ride.

I've also observed that ClayJ is quite the tire enthusiast. So, I asked him questions about tires privately, but have decided that some of you might benefit from his answers. Of course, if you have an opinion on the matter, please join in.

My question had to do with what tire profile size would be good so as to not deteriorate ride quality. Here was his answer:
The newer higher-end tires in 20" to 22" sizes have taken comfort into account.

If you 'plus-size' correctly - maintaining the exact same (within .4") Overall Diameter - you will end up with a tire whose amount of sidewall is not too little, and whose slightly additional width (10mm-20mm, or 1/2" to 1") will help to mitigate roadshock or roughness of ride.

I do not like to go below a profile of 45 on a passenger car - a 40 being absolute minimum, and exhibiting a noticeable decrease in ride comfort.

I prefer the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's - admittedly an enthusiast's tire - for best level of both comfort and performance. The Bridgestone S03 is my next choice -- but these ride just a little bit stiffer than the PS2's. Some are recommending the new Goodyear GSD3 -- I have yet to fit a set. These are all more performance than comfort or touring tires, but they are all actually quite comfortable even with being performance tires.

If you live in an area with either some snow or lots of rain, then the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S and the Michelin Pilot A/S are both high performance, high comfort tires - and would both be very good choices over a touring tire if fitment in your desired size on the S550 is available. Both of these tires also exhibit long treadwear life.

If you can get a touring tire from Michelin in 20", and you do not alter your OD in the plus-sizing, you should not experience any appreciable degradation in ride quality. Michelin touring tires are the most comfortable out there in my experience.

If I were you I would post exactly this question to Luke on the Tirerack Tires and Wheels forum and see what his recommendation to you is, as I haven't yet looked at what the fitment options will be for me on my upcoming S65's (and don't know off the top of my head what fitments are available for an S550).

If a 45 in a 20" application keeps overall diameter the same that would be perfect IMO. In fact, that is probably exactly what I would do. You might even be able to go with as low as a 40 with the new S's suspension and a good quality tire without any appreciable loss of ride comfort. That's my opinion.
I haven't posted yet on the Tire Rack forums, but using their tire finder, I don't see any 40 size tires-- it's either 35 or 45. Hmmm...
Great post. Thanks for putting this up. I was really upset to find out my LE comes with Continental tires. Someone posted earlier that they essentially suck. Even my dad said that. He told me, I might as well buy new tires now cuz as hard as those Continentals are, I will never wear them down. I really don't want to go out and buy all new rims and tires just yet. I will have to think on it for a minute.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:00 PM

'07 S550, '03 FXDWG
Originally Posted by CLFREAK
If you want an up-to-date look that will command presence and prestige everywhere you go, you definitely want to go with at least 20s with 30 series in front and 25 series in the rear and as wide in the rear as possible (10.5s is a no-brainer, 11s, if you dare to be bold).
They might look great, but for my position in the world, 30s would be a little too pimp looking for me. Besides, a profile that low is, for me, a bad ratio.

I think 40 would be fine, but 35 would be pushing it for me. Plus, I do want to preserve a nice exec M-B ride.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
J/ Please let us know what you learn and what you do. I'm talking w/ NevedaJack about this same (tire) issue for his new 550, which he will pick up next month. I've asked Luke for advice, but have not heard from him yet. Those Conti's do look terrible. I bought the Goodyear Eagle F1s (on AMG double-spoke wheels) from The Tire Rack last summer and REALLY love those tires. I cannot imagine a better tire for any car, but do not know about fitment issues w/ the larger wheels. You may very well have to roll the fenders--something that makes me feel queasy just thinking about that beautiful new W221--if you go too large!

Last edited by Jayhawk; 03-13-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:17 PM

22" Wheels on S550

I have been messing around with wheels on my 550, right now I have 22x9.0 front and 22x10.5 in the rear, I had some very minor rubbing in the rear, rolled it a bit and done deal......I am using 245-30-22 Pirelli up front and 295-25-22 in the rear, next week I am installing the Brabus Lowering module and the complete Brabus body kit and exhaust, I will let you know how well the 22" work with the lowered suspension.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by KCTrends
I have been messing around with wheels on my 550, right now I have 22x9.0 front and 22x10.5 in the rear, I had some very minor rubbing in the rear, rolled it a bit and done deal......I am using 245-30-22 Pirelli up front and 295-25-22 in the rear, next week I am installing the Brabus Lowering module and the complete Brabus body kit and exhaust, I will let you know how well the 22" work with the lowered suspension.
Please post some pics. I would like to see how it actually looks.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:08 AM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
Those dimensions & series tires are right on about what I'm talking about! Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:39 PM

22" pics on 550

I will post new pics after the Brabus body package and lowering module are installed, should be late next week.